Composite wood for decks??

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Need to buy composite decking for my cabin. I have been looking around but have been having a tough time getting answers on what is good and not so good. Pricing ranges from $1.95 - $5.75 a linear foot and Im not convinced its based on quality
Im looking for some real live reports of what you have used and what you liked / dislike about the product.
Im building decks under my veranda (52' x 8') and a ground level deck (12' x 10').
Any input would be appreciated.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Hey sbr....... The home hardware out here by our shop has some very experienced/knowledgeable employees, and a big display about it.... Says on special fall clearance prices. Might check them out?

stealth 800

Reaction score
I built a deck with trex and i think its great. In the winter it gets warm and the snow will melt on sunny days. In the summer its way cooler than the wood deck we had.It was easy to work with.The extra cost was worth it for us. Our deck is on the west side and our old deck got very warm on hot days and radiate heat to our kitchen. Now its alot cooler because this stuff doesnt radate the heat.

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I built a deck at my place, it wraps around from the front, side and to the back of my house. I used ELK decking ( which is now GAF ) This stuff is easy to work with, and looks great. I've had it in for about 5 years now - no maintenance issues at all. My only complaint was that I used a flush cut router to trim it up, and I should have left it for a few months to settle in, it shrunk up on me by about 3/8" Length ways. Unless they have changed their recipe, the color you buy, won't be the color it stays if its in direct sunlight. Mine faded, but still looks great. My brother in law put in a cedar deck about the same time I did mine, and their is no comparison, he has had to sand his twice, and hit it with Thompsons every year, and it's scuffed up. I haven't had to do anything with mine but wash it in the spring and fall with a pressure washer. There are no issues with it being slippery in the winter either. I would definitely recommend the extra cost for the composite decking.

intmid8or!

Problem Child
Reaction score
i used moisture sheild decking, awesome stuff, and used mantis clips for hidden fasteners, clean look.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
As a part-time contractor and installer of decking, I like the Trex. More expensive, heavy, and the hidden fasteners can be trying but well worth the extra. Just screwing it to the joists is fine and cheaper than the hidden fasteners. Being in Edmonton, you are not convenient to the US pricing but it may be worth your while to check it out.

Yes, the sun will change the color but that happens on anything you put down. Good luck man.

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As a part-time contractor and installer of decking, I like the Trex. More expensive, heavy, and the hidden fasteners can be trying but well worth the extra. Just screwing it to the joists is fine and cheaper than the hidden fasteners. Being in Edmonton, you are not convenient to the US pricing but it may be worth your while to check it out.

Yes, the sun will change the color but that happens on anything you put down. Good luck man.

Does all composite decking come with the hidden fasteners? Just curious, as I've seen many different styles of fastening for the composite decking ( mine came with a 'T' clip ), is there one style of fastener that is better than the rest?

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I saw a display of composite that was top screwed and it looked rough, the plastic seemed to pop up where the hole was and stay.
Im hoping for a hidden clip system.

Yeah, with the facia boards I had to screw through the face, definitely want to pre-drill and counter sink the holes. Looks tidy if you do it that way.

E to the v

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get a kreg jig. They make one for decking install. You pre drill and toe screw with it. Cost about $120. Well worth it to hide all the screws in the field, and no clips to fight with

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
DeWalt has a kit with countersink and driver in a reversible "chuck" so to speak. Set up the pre-drill/countersink and flip it to the driver and put the screw in. Quite simple and only around $40 bucks.

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OH! One thing I forgot to mention, a lesson I learned the hard way, Anyplace that you need to screw ( fascia, etc.) use Stainless screws. I bought some deck screws that were a pretty close color match for the decking material, well, over the fall, winter, spring there was enough expansion/contraction with the fascia board that it popped the heads off of the deck screws. I ended up pulling the fascia off and pulling out the broken screws and replacing them with stainless. Not a single problem since. :) :beer:

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what about burns (drop cigarette) on this decking is it fire proof sort of speaking
want to build next summer a new deck around the hotub

jncmcat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The one thing that I found to be real strange is that the sawdust is like cardboard on trek, using the router on it you will see what I mean. Home Depot sells this camo fastener and tool for screwing down decking, hidden screw. There is also a clip that is shot into the joists on the groved trek. Remember that the fasteners are important especially when using acq framing.

Top Bottom