Marlon Explore 2 Deck

banditelectric

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Caroline, Alberta, Canadia, Earth, Milkyway
Hey all. Just looking for a bit of advice. I've got the 7 foot Marlon deck. I've got away for a while hauling 151" and 154" without the extension on the deck. I've recently bought a 163" I have had it up there with no extension and honestly im ok hauling it like that but just wondering if Johnny Law in BC is ok with me doing that ha ha. Has anyone been ticketed for being over length? Or an i worrying about nothing?

Thanks

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey all. Just looking for a bit of advice. I've got the 7 foot Marlon deck. I've got away for a while hauling 151" and 154" without the extension on the deck. I've recently bought a 163" I have had it up there with no extension and honestly im ok hauling it like that but just wondering if Johnny Law in BC is ok with me doing that ha ha. Has anyone been ticketed for being over length? Or an i worrying about nothing?

Thanks
No they really are not, but you could get away with it forever if you are lucky. The rule isn't the 7' deck, it is nothing can extend past 1.2m from your taillights without flagging or lighting. I got pulled over for speeding and the next thing they did was measure the sled on the deck. I have an 8' deck, but I am about exactly 1.2m with a 165" Alpha on a Chev 3500. They hummed and hawed for a bit and just gave me the speeding ticket.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The rule is past the load deck, nothing about the tail lights in that law. Every deck and truck is different. It’s up to the driver to figure out the regs for their situation and equipment.

In BC

(2) A vehicle on a highway must not carry a load or have an integral part of the vehicle which projects more than 1.2 m to the rear of the load-deck or body of the vehicle unless,

(a) during the time specified in section 4.01, the extreme tip of the projection is lighted with a lamp that is capable of displaying only red light visible from a distance of 150 m to the rear of the vehicle, and

(b) at any time other than that specified in section 4.01, a red flag or cloth that complies with section 8.05

Last edited:

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was lucky and found one on Kijiji with the extension. I always ran an 8' deck and it was ok with my 175. The ease of removing the 2' extension and having my deck flush with the tailgate is much nicer. That being said I won't be hauling my sons 165 even without the extension. It will be in the garage unless I have a sled on; then in a couple minutes you go from a 7' deck to a 9' deck. Best of both worlds. For the $1000 I would be getting the extension for sure. Riderz actually had a used one off a demo deck at one point. Maybe give Ryder or Jay a call.

banditelectric

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was lucky and found one on Kijiji with the extension. I always ran an 8' deck and it was ok with my 175. The ease of removing the 2' extension and having my deck flush with the tailgate is much nicer. That being said I won't be hauling my sons 165 even without the extension. It will be in the garage unless I have a sled on; then in a couple minutes you go from a 7' deck to a 9' deck. Best of both worlds. For the $1000 I would be getting the extension for sure. Riderz actually had a used one off a demo deck at one point. Maybe give Ryder or Jay a call.
Yeah just got a quote back and the extension is $1600 this year lol

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All marlon products went up in price due to shipping, I was surprised to hear the marlon decks are built in China, and shipped here for assembly. According to the dealer I talked to.
I was deck shopping this year, and wanted a marlon till I heard that, and the pricing.

Decks with lit extensions like the marlon are a very good feature with this overhang controversy.

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Holla........I think they were $1000 last year. Glad I snapped up this deck and extension when I saw it. A new set up must be like pushing $9K now all in.

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
All marlon products went up in price due to shipping, I was surprised to hear the marlon decks are built in China, and shipped here for assembly. According to the dealer I talked to.
I was deck shopping this year, and wanted a marlon till I heard that, and the pricing.

Decks with lit extensions like the marlon are a very good feature with this overhang controversy.
All the big deck compnaies are built there, better quality and less money that they can pass onto the competition. The are designed and tested then once they are done to the top of the way marlon wants them they are made, then finally assembly is done here with superclamps added etc. Been using them for 7 years and zero issues ever. Pricing is going up on everything.

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One of the best custom deck builders is for sure Limitless out of GP. They are on Dragons Den with their deck. I believe they sell them at Northgate Honda. Pricey; but not cookie cutter for sure.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One of the best custom deck builders is for sure Limitless out of GP. They are on Dragons Den with their deck. I believe they sell them at Northgate Honda. Pricey; but not cookie cutter for sure.

I shopped around
I almost came home with one, freedom Motorsports in Edson is a dealer. Very impressive quality and attention to detail, truly Canadian made, they lack in the deck extension area tho.

Looked at Marlon, and walked when the dealer mentioned the price increase, and where they are built.

I decided to stick with my 11 year old Crosstrax, I couldn’t bring myself to upgrade. They are another truly Canadian made product, and the extension on the Crosstrax is the biggest selling feature, along with their price point.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All the big deck compnaies are built there, better quality and less money that they can pass onto the competition. The are designed and tested then once they are done to the top of the way marlon wants them they are made, then finally assembly is done here with superclamps added etc. Been using them for 7 years and zero issues ever. Pricing is going up on everything.

No that is not correct, there are high quality decks built in BC and Alberta.
Limitless BC, Crosstrax Alberta. I dunno where mammoth builds their decks but They look like a full lotus, and they were built in Vernon.

I support the local domestic fabricators that put Canadians to work, not farm out their fabrication to other countries, especially during the covid times.
I will not pay extra for a deck due to shipping cost increases. The Marlon dealer told me that was the reason for the cost increase, so… it would of been better, if he had just said the increase was due to the cost of aluminum.

Last edited:

banditelectric

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yeah wishing i bought a local made deck now. Honestly this Marlon is kind of a piece of sh!t. Lights are already shorting out on it and i've had it since April.

fynnigan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My son has a marlon that has 2 seasons on it and is not standing up very well . Light issues right away , which were fairly easy to fix but welds and metal quality are pretty crappy. Lots of cracks . Not a big fan of the boxes that the legs go in either , doesn’t spread the weight out in the box and ended up with indents in the floor of his ram 3500 . I have a older Canadian made deck , not nearly as fancy looking, 2 piece ramp , and some of the powder coat is falling off but a better deck ,and no cracks

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
limitless is built in lake country and mammoth took over full lotus and are made in armstrong now
both top quaility but top price too

mammothdecks

Reaction score
Website
www.mammothdecks.com
limitless is built in lake country and mammoth took over full lotus and are made in armstrong now
both top quaility but top price too
Thanks for mentioning our products. Just to re-phrase, we did not take over Full Lotus. They went out of business completely, and we brought a very similar product back to life and made some much-needed adjustments. We are most likely the most durable and robust deck on the market.

Top Bottom