Here we go again.......friggin' savior's of the earth!

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a thought, but what do others here think about approaching the Blue Ribbon Coalition to form a Canadian chapter. They have an immense amount of experience fighting land use issues and have been instrumental in keeping numerous areas open in the U.S..

Sent from my iPhone when I should be sledding.

kjb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Food for thought.

I count 25 and was told there were more just out of the picture, this is
south of Cranbrook. How many elk a week would it take to feed a pack this
large?

This picture was taken by Travis Tzakis who works for a local logging
contractor in Hawkins Creek which is south east of Yahk BC. Pack of wolfs
picture taken up Hawkins creek at the back end.

Apparently the powers that be have put a bounty on wolves here again, so
maybe things will get back to "normal".

Attachments

• tn.jpg
    tn.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 94

glassman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Backcountry snowmobilers are just as endangered as the caribou. Without proper education and protection our demise is almost certain. Perhaps it would be in the snowmobile manufacturers best interest, to jointly hire a paid lobbyist to protect the sport, as well as their marketshare. Mountain sledding may only be a small portion af their gross sales, but it does help the bottom line at the end if the fiscal year.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not exactly the fancy graph I was looking for, but serves the same purpose. South Purcell Caribou mortality from 1993 to 1997....as the major population decline was happening. Note the zero mortality from Jan to May. Also note the reasons for the mortality in Nov and Dec. With this in hand get some looney tunes environut to explain to you how snowmobiles killed the caribou! There's lots of info like this we tried to use to defend ourselves. None of it mattered in the end..........BECAUSE IT'S NOT ABOUT CARIBOU! They're just the species of convenience tree huggers are using to get us banned from the back country.

This is from a document done by Trevor Kinley & Clayton Apps, the two biologists that have done the most indepth studies of the South Purcell population of Mountain Caribou. It's titled "Population Status and Mortality of Mountain Caribou in the Southern Purcell Mountains, British Columbia". Lotsa good stuff in there.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/wld/documents/mc07kinley.pdf

Attachments

• south purcell.jpg
    south purcell.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That sounds like a great idea. A good family ride with a wiener roast lunch and a chance to enjoy the camaraderie may do wonders. A word of advice; don't expect the Free Press from Fernie to give you any accolades!! They wouldn't even report on MMV (before or after) and if we wanted we could buy an advertisement. Green through and through!

That blows me away to much European influence in Fernie? The community does alright I'm sure with the sled input during the winter , Seeing biusnesses starting up like the HUb there must be money in it. I think the media ride is key and as you said family fun smokie roast and some laughs and show the folks having fun. Will keep you posted Doug possibly you and your better half could make it. If those peeps on the skihill only knew what they were missing. Just as much fun going up as coming down.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Kathy, I was just going to post that. We're OK for now....the help will be needed when they try to impose more closures on us. It's interesting to note that we weren't even asked by MOE if we would like to help with the transplant. In fact we didn't even know when it was happening till Angie told us!

So.......one dead already! $17,000.00 down the drain. Not only are we killing wolves, cougars, and moose to save Caribou....now we're killing Caribou to save Caribou! :confused::confused:

And why the hell did I have to go back 3 pages to find the most important post here? :confused:

Last edited:

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks Kathy, I was just going to post that. We're OK for now....the help will be needed when they try to impose more closures on us. It's interesting to note that we weren't even asked by MOE if we would like to help with the transplant. In fact we didn't even know when it was happening till Angie told us!

So.......one dead already! $17,000.00 down the drain. Not only are we killing wolves, cougars, and moose to save Caribou....now we're killing Caribou to save Caribou! :confused::confused:

And why the hell did I have to go back 3 pages to find the most important post here? :confused:

Which post was the most important?????

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Update: Five of the nine animals they kicked out of the chopper across the St. Marys river no where near the resident herd last Saturday have left the area headed down out of the snow....you know, down where the predators are! :mad:

Last edited:

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's a video of the capture process for these animals. Where the hell is the SPCA when we need them? I wouldn't treat ANY animal this way! How do they get away with this? Bad enough they scare the crap out of them, then they haul them 1200km south and dump them in totally unfamiliar terrain where they have no idea how to survive. Now wonder one of them died before they got here! No wonder some of them left already!
:realmad:

2012 transplant capture - YouTube

Last edited:

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, we can clearly see in that video that Mike Weigle is correct. Choppers don't frighten caribou in the slightest. What a friggin' joke !!

Sent from my iPhone when I should be sledding.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
We used to xcountry ski through the fernie/panorama areas, and always came across wolf tracks on the back country ski trails..... The deep back country ski enthusiast tends to go to more extreme areas than sleds..... Jus' throwin' that out there

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we dont need to worry about Mike ! that old fart is going to croak soon anyways... old age is catching up to that lying dusty fart . :)

It's not Mike himself we need to worry about, it's all his b*ll*hit policies and propaganda that lives on forever we will have to fight.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well.....here's a couple of the transplanted animals. Photo is taken in the City of Cranbrook sewage spray irrigation fields south/east of Cranbrook, right in the Kootenay river bottom. Guess they didn't like it in the mountains. I think our clubs can agree to a snowmobile closure here to protect threatened "Mountain Caribou"! It's the least we can do to help.:rolleyes:

Attachments

• DSC00404s.jpg
    DSC00404s.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 122

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
........Photo is taken in the City of Cranbrook sewage spray irrigation fields south/east of Cranbrook, right in the Kootenay river bottom.......

I'm not really up on all the idiosyncrasies regarding environmental behaviour but that just doesn't seem right; spraying human sewage (whether it is treated or not) onto fields and using it for fertilizer! In Saskatchewan, they are worried about too much fertilizer and the leaching into the water table, also, the run off from the feedlots contaminating the water sources. The investigations into mad cow disease brought up the protocol of not using animal waste in feed. Someone in BC thinks it is alright to spray human waste on the soil and use it for fertilizer??? I just don't get it!

I understand, that if sewage is treated to a certain degree and put into a river, the sun, the current, and the aeration will eventually process it. But I am quite happy living above any fecal matter being dumped into my water source.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not really up on all the idiosyncrasies regarding environmental behaviour but that just doesn't seem right; spraying human sewage

Really???? That's what you got from that pic???? Jeez Doug, you started this thread! Did you forget what it was about? :shrug:

Last edited:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not really up on all the idiosyncrasies regarding environmental behaviour but that just doesn't seem right; spraying human sewage (whether it is treated or not) onto fields and using it for fertilizer! In Saskatchewan, they are worried about too much fertilizer and the leaching into the water table, also, the run off from the feedlots contaminating the water sources. The investigations into mad cow disease brought up the protocol of not using animal waste in feed. Someone in BC thinks it is alright to spray human waste on the soil and use it for fertilizer??? I just don't get it!

I understand, that if sewage is treated to a certain degree and put into a river, the sun, the current, and the aeration will eventually process it. But I am quite happy living above any fecal matter being dumped into my water source.

You should stop eating vegetables then because it will surprise you just how much this happens! LOL Actually many large cities do this, Calgary being one that we run a soil sampling program for. The waste is processed (usually in a digester/aeration combo at least) and the final effulent/sludge is put back onto the land, they're not pumping straight poop/sewage onto the ground.... LOL The Hutterite colonies also spray "Black Rain" from their pig lagoons onto the soil and it acts as a great fertilizer. Placing the effluent on land allows further degradation time, UV from the sun will kill microbes, the plants only absorb the nutrients they need and do not absorb "human waste". One of the important reasons to wash your veggies though.... haha. Up until a few years ago, the City of Victoria piped raw sewage out into the ocean, guess where the salmon on the kitchen table came from..... heehee

The issue of Sask and the amount of fertilizer is related to the nitrogen in the water. Nitrogen and nitrate in the water causes "blue baby"syndrome, a blood disorder where nitrogen inhibits the ability of hemoglobin to carry oxygen. Yes nitrogen is a component of manure but this is augmented by far too many commercial over-applications of fertilizer. Most of the underground aquifers in Sask do not flow anywhere near as fast as a stream in BC, so the ability of nitrate to accumulate in the aquifer is much higher.

LOL...and I hate to break bad news to you...but no one is "upstream" of any potential for beaver fever, fecal contamination etc. Animals will defecate in a stream just as readily as humans and run off carries all the issues from the forest floor right into the stream. Many times people who live "off the grid" from treated water supplies have more water quality issues than those in urban centers usually due to lack of water treatment. Turbidity, sedimentation, etc. Often times the water tastes better fresh in a mountain stream due to lack of processing (pipes, pumps and chemicals) but does not mean its any "cleaner". If rural users are on wells, often times there is a lot of bacterial growth in the well unless it is routinely shocked. I grew up on rural BC water in the kootenays, and after I got into the environmental industry and did some water testing on our source, I made my parents get a water treatment system.....;).

Anyway, good to see some of the caribou survived to start a new herd!

Top Bottom