Here we go again !!!

heyjude

RIP Judy
Reaction score
Website
www.mountainhavenbb.vpweb.com
Thought you might like to read an email we received from a hiking club regarding garbage left behind by sledders. Since alot of the garbage was sled parts, we cannot argue that it wasn't sledders. Our local hiking club helps us out with the spring cleanup, but we cannot cover the more remote areas.

Note that copies of the email were sent to some very influential people, and was also posted in the Prince George Newspaper for all to see.

We WILL lose our sledding areas if these things do not stop. Not just here in McBride, but all over the province. I really cannot blame these hikers for being upset. This is a beautiful area and should be kept as pristine as possible.

The idiots that left behind the garbage are a VERY small percentage of sledders, but they are the ones that will be responsible for getting our areas shut down. Then they will wonder why they can't sled here anymore.

:realmad:Enough said - just read the email and see what you think:

"""Barry Wallin, McBride Big Country Snowmobile Club

In mid August the Caledonia Ramblers Hiking Club did a nine day
backbacking trip along parts of the National Hiking Trail between East
Twin Creek and the Blueberry area north and east of McBride. There
were 12 of us and we were quite amazed and disgusted by the amount of
garbage we encountered through the Mount Renshaw snowmobiling area.

We encountered large numbers of beer cans, juice containers, wrappers
from various snack items, pieces of snowmobiles (especially treads) and
a variety of other items. The prize was a large tupper ware container
full of granola and chocolate bars and dried meat. If what we
encountered along out route, without searching, is typical, we wonder
how much garbage must be scattered throughout the entire Renshaw
snowmobiling area. At several locations we found several beer cans so
it was obvious that a group of snowmobilers (sledders) had stopped,
drank their beer and cast the cans into the snow. Same with food
wrappers.

We picked up the garbage we encountered and carried it to our next camp
where we either burned or buried it.

It seemed to us that if the sledders can carry food and drinks in on
their sleds, then they should be able to carried the garbage home. It
has never been acceptable practice to litter the countryside with
garbage but it is even less acceptable today when our government and
society generally is realizing humanity just cannot continue to abuse
our living space.

Sledders clearly need some education on protecting the environment.
Clearly at least part of the fault for this situation lies with the
McBride Big Country Snowmobile Club. The Club manages the Renshaw area
along with Lucille and Bell Mountains. There is nothing on the website
about protecting the environment, nothing about carrying out what is
carried in by sledders and no signs at the trail head on the subject
either. Perhaps the Club has signs/posters at their cabins. If not,
there should be!

The Snowmobile club, at the very least, should be conducting a clean-up.

There should be no need for government to police the behaviour of
sledders with regard to treatment of the environment. Sledders should
be treating it as a privilege to be able to snowmobile in BC's
backcountry or anywhere else. If sledders have such a low regard for
the environment that they feel they can throw their garbage willy-nilly
about the landscape then perhaps they should be barred from using BC's
backcountry entirely and especially the Renshaw area. The garbage is a
rather poor testament for them. It is not what one expects to see
when hiking the National Hiking Trail.

At the very least, NO new areas should be permitted for snowmobile use
until sledders demonstrate they can treat existing areas they use with
respect.

Dave King, Hike Leader
Caledonia Ramblers Hiking Club

copy:
Clara Appleby, McBride & District Chamber of Commerce
Elaine Gillette, Recreation Officer, Min of Tourism, Culture and Arts,
McBride
Dean, Cherkas, Manager Crown Land, Integrated Land Management Bureau,
Prince George
Shirley Bond, MLA, Prince George-Robson

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well we go thru this every year. People bring it in and never take i out. Times are changing but slowly. We need to be more visible with the liter message. Oh and by the way they have a real Garbage problem in the National Parks with garbage also. And its not from Sledders or Quadders

Fullthrottle

Reaction score
Thanks for posting the letter. I think it is important for all to read. We need to be responsible sledders and pick up after ourselves. And even at times posibly pick up after others. It does happen that sometimes something may get loose and fall off. Don't just sled past it....... PICK IT UP!!!!!!!! We can all help each other out with this. It will help us keep our sledding area!!! Please be responsible and take out what you bring in!!!!!

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This should be posted in the cabin so people realize how threatened our privaledge to ride is. We need to speak up to those we see littering. I don't want to pizz people off but the club may need to use part of an increased trail fee to pay for cleanup if users can't smarten up.

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This should be posted in the cabin so people realize how threarened our privaledge to ride is. We need to speak up to those we see littering. I don't want to pizz people off but the club may need to use part of an increased trail fee to pay for cleanup if users can't smarten up.

Great idea Snochuk!

tmix

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank you for posting this letter. We all need to step up and keep our fav rideing areas cleaner. When we went qaudding at Clemina i picked up a broken ski, a ball cap from Hawai and a sobeys bag of bottles. We have to pack out what we pack in...just my 2 cents!!!

bigdog67

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I for one get tired of hauling other peoples garbage out because they're to lazy to pick up after them selves.I agree with Snochuk.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those hikers should maybe take a look at what they do as well. I went hiking up Mount Robson this year and last year and found wrappers and cans from the traihead all the way to the robson glacier and you can guarantee it wasn't from sledders or any motor vehicle because they aren't allowed up there. They say we need keep these remote areas clean and pristine and they will write letters that straight up cut sledders down and only sledders. Its just stereotyping and maybe a bit of jelousy on their part. They just wish hiking was as fun as sledding, maybe they are scared to try?:d Just my two cents:rant:

heyjude

RIP Judy
Reaction score
Website
Those hikers should maybe take a look at what they do as well. I went hiking up Mount Robson this year and last year and found wrappers and cans from the traihead all the way to the robson glacier and you can guarantee it wasn't from sledders or any motor vehicle because they aren't allowed up there. They say we need keep these remote areas clean and pristine and they will write letters that straight up cut sledders down and only sledders. Its just stereotyping and maybe a bit of jelousy on their part. They just wish hiking was as fun as sledding, maybe they are scared to try?:d Just my two cents:rant:

WE all know it's not JUST sledders, but it is easier to place ALL the blame on us. We have cleaned up our share of trail garbage from the summer months as well.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
If you want to play in the same game maybe next time you should fire off a letter to all the same people they did....just a thought.

WE all know it's not JUST sledders, but it is easier to place ALL the blame on us. We have cleaned up our share of trail garbage from the summer months as well.

treemongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't understand why people cannot pack out what they take in. I've spent many weekends up in Mcbride cleaning up in riding areas. I've made a small fortune from beer cans that are left on the hill. It seems that each year there's more and more garbage left on the hill. Sled rolls parts break off nothing is picked up while the person is walking down to the sled. Same person is the first one to complain when areas get shut down. Look what happened to the BIS in revelstoke.

heyjude

RIP Judy
Reaction score
Website
If you want to play in the same game maybe next time you should fire off a letter to all the same people they did....just a thought.

Actually, we did send a detailed answer back outlining the steps we have been taking to try to educate the sledders as well as our own cleanup efforts. Problem is, the message doesn't get through to the few that feel they have a right to dump their garbage and beer cans wherever they want to, be it sledders, quadders, hunters or hikers.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Problem is, the message doesn't get through to the few that feel they have a right to dump their garbage and beer cans wherever they want to, be it sledders, quadders, hunters or hikers.

Sometimes, SOMETIMES, violence IS the answer.....

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
why did my post get deleted. I said nothing wrong, I'm all for exposing those that don't clean up after themselves and if they get lippy then an open handed slap my be in order.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know what happened to your post. It didn't get moderated, just went away. It is still in your personal post's. Weird.
Mine is gone as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom