Here we go again !!!

CR500R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We can play the blame game all we want, fact of the matter is that we cannot deny it when it's snowmobile parts that are scattered about, and in areas that are designated snowmobiling zones. The majority users are usually the culprits end of story. I think that a couple signs, not little ones, say some the size of a sheet of plywood or 2, at the trailhead and along the trail to the cabins with a clear message along the lines that if we don't pack out what is packed in we will lose this area, you will be reported, you will be fined, etc. might be a step in the right direction. Like others said post these letters on the wall in the cabins on a bulletin type board for all to read. The more visible the better. Otherwise, we just have to police ourselves, we all carry cameras, take pictures of the offenders,faces,sleds,trucks, license plates, etc. and take them to the cops or post them on these sites to embarass and expose them.

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
CR500 You have stated the most important fact near the end of your post.

We need to police ourselves !

Dont be affraid to be the "Bad" guy or the fellow not every body likes. I've seen it many times before that one loud mouth or pin head is ruining the mood and no one will stand up to them and speak up. If you see someone littering, hollar at em ! This is a serious thing we are dealing with. We must learn to police ourselves. Its the same when its 30 below out and people are smoking inside the cabins with families not wanting to breathe the second hand smoke having to eat lunch outside. It seems these days people are affraid to speak up. I know many people dislike me for telling them to butt out in the cabins, but I dont care !

We do use signs as much as we can, but they get thrown in the fire faster than we can put em up, but Ill keep doing it as long as I have to........

CR500R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hear you when you say they get thrown in the fire, One would have to assume the same idiots that are littering are responsible for tearing the rails, tables, benches apart in the cabins for firewood as well. I was thinking the same thing about these signs along the trails, one would have to make them easily removable at the end of the sled season, as sure ch!t some jackass hunters would use them as target practice during hunting season.

I'vegotthenutz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've seen beer cans littering the hwy right from jasper all the way into valemount and mcbride, its pretty obvious who it is in the middle of winter. The same ones that leave their crap in the cabin and at the staging areas...:mad:

Mongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
why did my post get deleted. I said nothing wrong, I'm all for exposing those that don't clean up after themselves and if they get lippy then an open handed slap my be in order.

I thought the same thing but then I found a 2nd thread, under "anything goes " I think, with the same heading and material and the misssing posts are there. Sorry Admin guys for what I was thinking.

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How about a little NICE NEWS........We sled the CNP alot[30 days a year on average] and see very little garbage...The safety shelter may have a beer can on the table but thats about it......only once have we had to haul out a mess.
I know there are many different factors...like volumne of riders and such.
But either way the area has 2000 some miles of trail and it's Clean.

bigdog67

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How about a little NICE NEWS........We sled the CNP alot[30 days a year on average] and see very little garbage...The safety shelter may have a beer can on the table but thats about it......only once have we had to haul out a mess.
I know there are many different factors...like volumne of riders and such.
But either way the area has 2000 some miles of trail and it's Clean.

So how did you educate the people down there to clean up after themselves?

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not being sarcastic...I really want to know.

Well we are members of the SnowCrow riders.................but I really dont know why the riders there ride with such respect......could it be because most of the riders are mostly locals?...or maybe it's a small town additude.
The staging areas are also super clean.
If I had to quess it's the way generations of CNP sledders have raised there kids to respect our riding previlages.
The club does a awesome job.

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well im lookin foward to riding renshaw area this year, and its unfortunate that people abuse the use of a public riding area but for the most part people are just uneducated on certain rules and regulations or for this instance the consequenes i.e a letter that threatins our place to ride ......In my opinion between good signs and riders telling other riders this problem shouldnt be that hard to eliminate. I know your always going to have your "troublesome" riders but for the most part people ride in a group and if theres atleast one responsible, respectful person in the group to say "Hey pick that up u brought it in you can bring it out". We should be able to almost eliminate this problem. If people really love the sport as much as most of you guys on here do or me or even the guys i ride with picking up your own trash is the least you can do.

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Every trip I go on I have probably seen a beer can or something left behind from a group, and I am not up there as a garbage picker. It is a select few leaving behind items, and does affect us all unfortunately. Yes it is bad to get targeted but we sure have room for improvement as a group. This letter would be good to have blown up and posted, maybe put it in the local menu's

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe I missed something at the Edmonton Sled Show but should there not be a booth set up to get attention to the garbage problem as well as the amout of riding areas we are loosing? Maybe if more publicly advertised more could be done?

lowmark

Reaction score
Imho its the same mentality that makes some ride on the helliskiers runs and burn their signs for fire wood that makes some not care, even though they live in the not mentioned small town. Now I make it a point to pack out more than I take in.

mountaindoo

Reaction score
we as sledders should respect our play ground. This sledder will be returning with all his garbage, and hopefully every one else can follow in my foot steps, so come on guys and gals, clean up before we lose it!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do agree there is some who through there garbage out> What we need to do is stand up and say pick that up th anyone who thinks this ok. I have almost got into fights on sled and quad trails for telling meatheaded strangers what to do. Lots of times people also loose there food and beers on the trail when the bumps jars there cargo. I guess we should all watch and try to gather it all up.
[ QUOTE=heyjude;78976]Thought you might like to read an email we received from a hiking club regarding garbage left behind by sledders. Since alot of the garbage was sled parts, we cannot argue that it wasn't sledders. Our local hiking club helps us out with the spring cleanup, but we cannot cover the more remote areas.

Note that copies of the email were sent to some very influential people, and was also posted in the Prince George Newspaper for all to see.

We WILL lose our sledding areas if these things do not stop. Not just here in McBride, but all over the province. I really cannot blame these hikers for being upset. This is a beautiful area and should be kept as pristine as possible.

The idiots that left behind the garbage are a VERY small percentage of sledders, but they are the ones that will be responsible for getting our areas shut down. Then they will wonder why they can't sled here anymore.

:realmad:Enough said - just read the email and see what you think:

"""Barry Wallin, McBride Big Country Snowmobile Club

In mid August the Caledonia Ramblers Hiking Club did a nine day
backbacking trip along parts of the National Hiking Trail between East
Twin Creek and the Blueberry area north and east of McBride. There
were 12 of us and we were quite amazed and disgusted by the amount of
garbage we encountered through the Mount Renshaw snowmobiling area.

We encountered large numbers of beer cans, juice containers, wrappers
from various snack items, pieces of snowmobiles (especially treads) and
a variety of other items. The prize was a large tupper ware container
full of granola and chocolate bars and dried meat. If what we
encountered along out route, without searching, is typical, we wonder
how much garbage must be scattered throughout the entire Renshaw
snowmobiling area. At several locations we found several beer cans so
it was obvious that a group of snowmobilers (sledders) had stopped,
drank their beer and cast the cans into the snow. Same with food
wrappers.

We picked up the garbage we encountered and carried it to our next camp
where we either burned or buried it.

It seemed to us that if the sledders can carry food and drinks in on
their sleds, then they should be able to carried the garbage home. It
has never been acceptable practice to litter the countryside with
garbage but it is even less acceptable today when our government and
society generally is realizing humanity just cannot continue to abuse
our living space.

Sledders clearly need some education on protecting the environment.
Clearly at least part of the fault for this situation lies with the
McBride Big Country Snowmobile Club. The Club manages the Renshaw area
along with Lucille and Bell Mountains. There is nothing on the website
about protecting the environment, nothing about carrying out what is
carried in by sledders and no signs at the trail head on the subject
either. Perhaps the Club has signs/posters at their cabins. If not,
there should be!

The Snowmobile club, at the very least, should be conducting a clean-up.

There should be no need for government to police the behaviour of
sledders with regard to treatment of the environment. Sledders should
be treating it as a privilege to be able to snowmobile in BC's
backcountry or anywhere else. If sledders have such a low regard for
the environment that they feel they can throw their garbage willy-nilly
about the landscape then perhaps they should be barred from using BC's
backcountry entirely and especially the Renshaw area. The garbage is a
rather poor testament for them. It is not what one expects to see
when hiking the National Hiking Trail.

At the very least, NO new areas should be permitted for snowmobile use
until sledders demonstrate they can treat existing areas they use with
respect.