Here we go again.......friggin' savior's of the earth!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I see ungulates (caribou, deer, moose, elk, sheep, goats) around the snowmobile areas and they, generally speaking, aren't harassed. They continue to do what ungulates doo.....eat, chew their cud, look at you and continue to eat. When they get away from the sleds, it is into the bush some 25-50 meters off the trail and appear very non-challant.

Wolves on the other hand are seldom seen but they are out there in most areas. They have to eat and it is a funny thing that ungulates are on the top of their food choice; lots of protein and relatively easy prey when they decide on a meal. In the wild, they co-exist.

How many wolf tracks doo we see or document in our sledding areas? How many wolves are really out there? Maybe we should start putting the sightings/tracks into research papers as the various groups who are fighting against us doo......

http://www.vancouversun.com/technol...hreatened+mountain+caribou/6206943/story.html

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I see ungulates (caribou, deer, moose, elk, sheep, goats) around the snowmobile areas and they, generally speaking, aren't harassed. They continue to do what ungulates doo.....eat, chew their cud, look at you and continue to eat. When they get away from the sleds, it is into the bush some 25-50 meters off the trail and appear very non-challant.

Wolves on the other hand are seldom seen but they are out there in most areas. They have to eat and it is a funny thing that ungulates are on the top of their food choice; lots of protein and relatively easy prey when they decide on a meal. In the wild, they co-exist.

How many wolf tracks doo we see or document in our sledding areas? How many wolves are really out there? Maybe we should start putting the sightings/tracks into research papers as the various groups who are fighting against us doo......

Snowmobile tracks used by wolves to hunt threatened mountain caribou

Totally agree we should, We have a huge demographic and a area coverage that none could compare to Govt or otherwise. Think of all the S&M ers in all the areas and you have a very extensive enviornmental report that would be difficult to dispute. Pic's video all that we can. See if we can't get S&M to add subsection for the reports HOPE it stays profesional and see if we cant get some ammo together to defend our backcountry access rights.

go green

Reaction score
"The province’s total population of mountain caribou has dropped from around 2,500 before 1995, to around 1,850 today, due to a loss of habitat, food supply, and booming wolf and cougar populations. "

Read more: Snowmobile tracks used by wolves to hunt threatened mountain caribou

Just bring a gun on your next sled trip and shoot all the cougars and wolves you see . Problem solved !!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
"The province’s total population of mountain caribou has dropped from around 2,500 before 1995, to around 1,850 today, due to a loss of habitat, food supply, and booming wolf and cougar populations. "

Just bring a gun on your next sled trip and shoot all the cougars and wolves you see . Problem solved !!

That was part of the point; how many predators are there? We need to document for ammunition......

I haven't seen any predators and minimal predator tracks in 12 years of mountain riding. I have seen 3 wolf/moose kills and one cougar track in those 12 years.

I ride 50-75 days a year and groom another 20+ (mostly nights). The people against us have their "so-called" numbers. For factual information, what doo we have? Diddly squat.....

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That was part of the point; how many predators are there? We need to document for ammunition......

I haven't seen any predators and minimal predator tracks in 12 years of mountain riding. I have seen 3 wolf/moose kills and one cougar track in those 12 years.

I ride 50-75 days a year and groom another 20+ (mostly nights). The people against us have their "so-called" numbers. For factual information, what doo we have? Diddly squat.....

The article is riddled with questionable speculation. High traffic sled areas are not gonna be where you find wolves. On the occasions sledders venture into alpine terrain the tracks don't stay long and in the 20 yrs I been in the BC mountians I have seen minimal wildlife couple moose, couple MTN goats and yes the infamous mtn caribou 4 from a distance. It's all a bunch of BS IMO

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Snowmobiles are not a natural or unnatural for that matter predator of Caribou. Wolves and cougars are. Increase hunting draws on those species if you want to reenergize the caribou population. Problem solved?

I'm not buying the bs their trying to sell. If the numbers for the cougars and wolves were way up more cattle would be getting taken out on the crown grazing leases in the mtns . Look to the organizations that are impacting the wilderness more times than not its industrial not recreational that have the largest impact.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Hey don't be hatin on the Cougars we are actually quite harmless..... OHHHH you meant Mountain Lions... Nevermind... carry on... :beer:

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
something I found odd in my area.. we have Caribou closures.. but another lobby group transplanted a pack of Wolves from banff in the same area.. I seriously don't get it, and have a hard time following the logic... To me if you are closing an area due to the preservation of a species, why would you transplant the main predatorial threat mere miles away????

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
something I found odd in my area.. we have Caribou closures.. but another lobby group transplanted a pack of Wolves from banff in the same area.. I seriously don't get it, and have a hard time following the logic... To me if you are closing an area due to the preservation of a species, why would you transplant the main predatorial threat mere miles away????

So they can try and blame it on snowmobiles some how I'm sure?

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here in the county of Grande Prairie I heard they are offering 300 per wolf pelt. I know the woodland caribou here have diminished and there are gates up everywhere. This being said big business and logging still go on and remove the caribou habitat. But they continue to barricade sledders and quadders because we put stress on the animals. It is a huge crock of BS. I can agree with the closures to certain areas at certain times of the year and we should all do our part to protect these animals.

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Reminds me of a joke about the transplanting of wolves into yellowstone and the town meeting that was held with the ranchers and enviornmentalists. Somethin like they aint fn our cattle their eatin em.

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

My point exactly that the depts managing these areas and their wildlife content dont have a clue. If a large group of back country recreational peeps supply documentation and evidence to back it up well you have something then. Tons of GoPros,countours ect out there lot of digital cams it would only take a couple secs on the occasions encounters happened.

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wonder if our government is smart enough to know the wolves have cross bred with the coyotees

Your evidence of this is....???

Any wolf, coyote interaction I've ever seen/read about ends in a dead coyote.

Last edited:

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Snowmobiles are not a natural or unnatural for that matter predator of Caribou. Wolves and cougars are. Increase hunting draws on those species if you want to reenergize the caribou population. Problem solved?

Wolves and Puma are usually an open season hunting game species and are generally not that simple to harvest. Puma are generally hunted with cat hounds and wolves over bait. Seeing them in the wild out of the blue, doesn't happen that often.

Last edited:

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not buying the bs their trying to sell. If the numbers for the cougars and wolves were way up more cattle would be getting taken out on the crown grazing leases in the mtns . Look to the organizations that are impacting the wilderness more times than not its industrial not recreational that have the largest impact.

This is happening. In the Cariboo region they have increased the bag limits and length of season for wolves due to livestock predation. There was also a recent call by a rancher in the Barriere BC region for an increase in the harvest rates for wolves for the same reason.

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

This may help explain....

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/wld/specie...mendations_Predator-Prey_Management_Final.pdf

Top Bottom