Here we go again.......friggin' savior's of the earth!

AprilO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I see ungulates (caribou, deer, moose, elk, sheep, goats) around the snowmobile areas and they, generally speaking, aren't harassed. They continue to do what ungulates doo.....eat, chew their cud, look at you and continue to eat. When they get away from the sleds, it is into the bush some 25-50 meters off the trail and appear very non-challant.

Wolves on the other hand are seldom seen but they are out there in most areas. They have to eat and it is a funny thing that ungulates are on the top of their food choice; lots of protein and relatively easy prey when they decide on a meal. In the wild, they co-exist.

How many wolf tracks doo we see or document in our sledding areas? How many wolves are really out there? Maybe we should start putting the sightings/tracks into research papers as the various groups who are fighting against us doo......

http://www.vancouversun.com/technol...hreatened+mountain+caribou/6206943/story.html

Saw wolf tracks across a trail in Valemount last weekend

2007 Summit Rev 800
2006 Suzuki Vinson 500
2004 GMC Sierra 1500

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you really look at the workings of government, does any of it make any sense?

If you look at the medical aspect, educational aspect, environmental aspect, even the registration or non-registration of OHV's, and I could could probably fill many more lines of utter non-sensicale concepts that the governments can't handle.

I read an article this morning (another thread I started as it is about pipelines and other interesting thoughts) and we should or the collective union (I hate that word) of OHV-users should hire Jon Ferry, (Vancouver Province) to voice our opinions and present our research. Mind you this is only one article and I am not that knowledgable about all of his philosophies but makes for interesting reading.

The environmental movement has a mission, vast funding, and most of all, the sympathy of the younger generation. I am glad I'm an old fart and can still doo what I doo.

I'll now join moysiesledhead and go outside and scream!

Something that I learned from this thread is to focus on the actual agenda behind the movement, rather than the superficial topic at hand. I would love to have the actual underlying AGENDA's brought to light. For some people who join a movement, I'm sure it's about the Caribou, Wolves, spiney backed spotted flying tree vole...... but the ones sparking the actual movement seem to have a bigger picture and plan in place.

perhaps people would be less sheep like if everything was out in the open.. Especially if they look at the long term consequences of tying up lands in "nature conservancies" etc... Economic, recreational, etc... Animals look cute and cuddly, I now understand why they'd use them to propell an agenda forward. "poor animals"

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Something that I learned from this thread is to focus on the actual agenda behind the movement, rather than the superficial topic at hand.

Ahhhhhh, you have learned well Grasshoppah! :)

Attachments

• 1301512912306_f.jpg
    1301512912306_f.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 118

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not just mountain areas are being affected by sled use and caribous. Grande Cache,Little Smoky area are areas of threatened Caribou habitat in Alberta. lots of other areas also.

Biologists don`t have to agree. Statements can be made and someone will agree and PUBLIC PRESSURE will do the work. Truth sometimes has little effect on what and who makes the rules.

GC and Little smokey have some major o/g plays and the INDUSTRIAL footprint is what has had the most impact on the caribou in those areas not sledders. Wonder how many caribou have been wiped out on the Simonette rd?

Last edited:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Let's not scream at each other though! I've been through enough of that! :beer::beer:

I'm pretty sure we're on the same side!

One of these days, as I pass the Pub with the "World Famous Fish and Chips", I'm gonna stop and buy you a beer.

PS not screaming at each other is one of the reasons I'm glad I'm an old fart....I can ride off into the sunset and the younger generation can take up the fight!

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Awesome idea! :beer:

I "wish" the younger generation would take up the fight! The guy that took over for me is older than I am! And though I quit I really can't seem to step away from it :rolleyes:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This brings up a point that was brought up in a thread last year. Maybe it is time that the snowmobiling community (sledders, associations, manufacturers and clubs) need to hire a special interests ambassador to fight these fights for us. Maybe an ex politician that knows the inner workings of how all this closure stuff works on the inside and can negotiate us into a better position with the people that want to shut us out of the backcountry. Just shooting from the hip here. Lol.

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This brings up a point that was brought up in a thread last year. Maybe it is time that the snowmobiling community (sledders, associations, manufacturers and clubs) need to hire a special interests ambassador to fight these fights for us. Maybe an ex politician that knows the inner workings of how all this closure stuff works on the inside and can negotiate us into a better position with the people that want to shut us out of the backcountry. Just shooting from the hip here. Lol.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep. We better start standing for something or were gonna fall for anythng.

Last edited:

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe it is time that the snowmobiling community (sledders, associations, manufacturers and clubs) need to hire a special interests ambassador to fight these fights for us.

We used to have that with the BCSF and he did an awesome job, then along came ABC to split snowmobilers in the province apart....now neither one has enough money to pay someone. Go figure. :(

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We used to have that with the BCSF and he did an awesome job, then along came ABC to split snowmobilers in the province apart....now neither one has enough money to pay someone. Go figure. :(

I know I would be more than happy to pay an extra fee in my club membership each year towards something like this. The other thing is we need to get people in Alberta and Sask to buy in as well as we all ride in BC and all have something at stake here.

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know I would be more than happy to pay an extra fee in my club membership each year towards something like this. The other thing is we need to get people in Alberta and Sask to buy in as well as we all ride in BC and all have something at stake here.

10 or 20 bucks from every sledder in Sask Ab and BC is a bit of dough but 20 bucks from every sledder in north america thats serious power.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
10 or 20 bucks from every sledder in Sask Ab and BC is a bit of dough but 20 bucks from every sledder in north america thats serious power.

I'm sure the Yanks are fighting the same fight. They may want there own ambassador as I'm sure government works different down there than up here. They may want to make there push when the Republican's are back in power. Now..................how do we go about making this happen? Anybody know anybody? Lol.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
The President of the ASA has the contacts and the where-with-all. He just has to be moved into action.

The BC situation will be a struggle and that won't be an easy solution. I don't agree that there was an "awesome job" done in BC or we wouldn't be in this mess. Hob-nobbing with the bureaucrats on our expense and getting action are two worlds apart but that is another episode that I don't have time for nor want to get into. It is a good thing to be moving forward but there is a lot of work to doo.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bet they didn't turn and follow the tracks though did they? Not all wolves got the memo that snowmobile tracks lead to food. lol

'Bout time you jumped in here! :beer: Got anything to add? Don't bring up the idea our prez had last night either! :nono:

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The problem with that thought is that the mountain sled category is such a small percentage of the total sales the manufacturers really don't want to take a stand that might bring negative attention to them from govt or greenies.IMO
It is estimated that fewer than 30% of sledders are members of an organization,( in our area it is closer to 10% ), We have enough trouble trying to get them to pay for trail passes or memberships never mind extra for something like this. I can't remember the number of times I have heard somebody say "let them close it, we'll ride there anyway, how can they catch me.
My rant for now,
Going outside to scream with the others.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The manufacturers and sledding peeps need to start paying attention or there will be no more mountain riding in BC pretty soon.

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey don't be hatin on the Cougars we are actually quite harmless..... OHHHH you meant Mountain Lions... Nevermind... carry on... :beer:

I don't know about that harmless statement, know a couple young guys that could say otherwise (if they had enough energy to talk that is) lol

Top Bottom