Here we go again !!!

heyjude

RIP Judy
Reaction score
Website
www.mountainhavenbb.vpweb.com
Thought you might like to read an email we received from a hiking club regarding garbage left behind by sledders. Since alot of the garbage was sled parts, we cannot argue that it wasn't sledders. Our local hiking club helps us out with the spring cleanup, but we cannot cover the more remote areas.

Note that copies of the email were sent to some very influential people, and was also posted in the Prince George Newspaper for all to see.

We WILL lose our sledding areas if these things do not stop. Not just here in McBride, but all over the province. I really cannot blame these hikers for being upset. This is a beautiful area and should be kept as pristine as possible.

The idiots that left behind the garbage are a VERY small percentage of sledders, but they are the ones that will be responsible for getting our areas shut down. Then they will wonder why they can't sled here anymore.

:realmad:Enough said - just read the email and see what you think:

"""Barry Wallin, McBride Big Country Snowmobile Club

In mid August the Caledonia Ramblers Hiking Club did a nine day
backbacking trip along parts of the National Hiking Trail between East
Twin Creek and the Blueberry area north and east of McBride. There
were 12 of us and we were quite amazed and disgusted by the amount of
garbage we encountered through the Mount Renshaw snowmobiling area.

We encountered large numbers of beer cans, juice containers, wrappers
from various snack items, pieces of snowmobiles (especially treads) and
a variety of other items. The prize was a large tupper ware container
full of granola and chocolate bars and dried meat. If what we
encountered along out route, without searching, is typical, we wonder
how much garbage must be scattered throughout the entire Renshaw
snowmobiling area. At several locations we found several beer cans so
it was obvious that a group of snowmobilers (sledders) had stopped,
drank their beer and cast the cans into the snow. Same with food
wrappers.

We picked up the garbage we encountered and carried it to our next camp
where we either burned or buried it.

It seemed to us that if the sledders can carry food and drinks in on
their sleds, then they should be able to carried the garbage home. It
has never been acceptable practice to litter the countryside with
garbage but it is even less acceptable today when our government and
society generally is realizing humanity just cannot continue to abuse
our living space.

Sledders clearly need some education on protecting the environment.
Clearly at least part of the fault for this situation lies with the
McBride Big Country Snowmobile Club. The Club manages the Renshaw area
along with Lucille and Bell Mountains. There is nothing on the website
about protecting the environment, nothing about carrying out what is
carried in by sledders and no signs at the trail head on the subject
either. Perhaps the Club has signs/posters at their cabins. If not,
there should be!

The Snowmobile club, at the very least, should be conducting a clean-up.

There should be no need for government to police the behaviour of
sledders with regard to treatment of the environment. Sledders should
be treating it as a privilege to be able to snowmobile in BC's
backcountry or anywhere else. If sledders have such a low regard for
the environment that they feel they can throw their garbage willy-nilly
about the landscape then perhaps they should be barred from using BC's
backcountry entirely and especially the Renshaw area. The garbage is a
rather poor testament for them. It is not what one expects to see
when hiking the National Hiking Trail.

At the very least, NO new areas should be permitted for snowmobile use
until sledders demonstrate they can treat existing areas they use with
respect.

Dave King, Hike Leader
Caledonia Ramblers Hiking Club

copy:
Clara Appleby, McBride & District Chamber of Commerce
Elaine Gillette, Recreation Officer, Min of Tourism, Culture and Arts,
McBride
Dean, Cherkas, Manager Crown Land, Integrated Land Management Bureau,
Prince George
Shirley Bond, MLA, Prince George-Robson

NM

Boost It - Fuel your Boost
Reaction score
This is BS. Sledders are going to be there own worst enemy and the bad ones will wreck it for everyone. I have personally told more than one group to pick up there garbadge. In one case a couple guys on rented sleds busted one up pretty good and were going to leave all the plastic, so we offered to give him a hand. We grabbed all the plastic and duct taped it against his back pack and around his whole body with about 20 wraps. We told him there was garbadge cans in the parking lot and not to stop until he got to them.:confused::d It is going to be a sad day if we wreck this great sport for our children.

NM

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
might be the same people that put snorkles on there atvs and cross rivers and flip them and put gas and oil in the river ripup the banks getting in and out and go on there merry way till someone sees the mess and reports it summer and winter makes no differents to these jokers try saying something to them and all you get is f&$k off big egoes big money

G

Guest1

Did anyone notice who was cc'd in that email...Sledders AND Quadders are their own worst enemy...Like UBD said when you encounter peeps littering duct tape it to them or punch them in the toque...AZZHATS

OVER!!!

wildchild

Reaction score
Another thing I been noticing is the amount of Cigarette butts in summer in places were people always stop sledding. After few years they add up to lot of litter.

Twisted Boost

Biggest Poster
Reaction score
Did anyone notice who was cc'd in that email...Sledders AND Quadders are their own worst enemy...Like UBD said when you encounter peeps littering duct tape it to them or punch them in the toque...AZZHATS

OVER!!!

Agreed Fabster what a bunch of AZZHATS!!!!!!!!!!!!:rant::rant:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
WE SLED ALOT WITH OUR KIDS AND OUR RULE IS CARRY OUT WHAT YOU CARRY IN.... PERIOD.......... THE CARELESSNESS OF THE FRIGGIN' FEW IS GONNA WRECK IT FOR THE MANY!!!! :mad:

CR500R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not surprised, I have been up Lucille in the summer time, we packed out 2 large garbage bags of mostly beer cans and the same other stuff they talk of. The area around the little lake is always the worst. I don't understand what is so hard about bringing out your garbage when it is empty? It takes less space and weighs less, why is it so difficult for these idiots to follow one simple rule, pack out what you pack in!
I agree with doing a clean-up but not to be negative,the editor of the letter doesn't realize how hard it would be to conduct a clean-up in the alpine, the distance to be covered,the rugged terrain, etc. Perhaps, incredibly large signs need to be put up along the trail, at the cabin and in the parking lots, as well as some large forestry / recycling type bins in the parking lots. Making it abit easier for the morons to use and see might help. Other than policing ourselves there is no easy answer.

cat girl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't often comment on these posts, but this one PI$$ed me off. Why do they always focus only on the sledders??? I mean ok so there were parts found..that is BAD! BUT those smokers butts, garbage, fishing line, wrappers..bla bla bla..could have been left by anyone! Fishermen, backpackers, quadders, even there own fellow hikers!! I know lots of quadders are going to BOOOO me but they wreck more land/enviorment issues then those of us that ride on top to the snow. So get off the sledders a$$ already, what are they just wishing they could afford one? I have seen many hikers leaving there crap behind on our very own land. Maybe we should start writing more complaint letters everytime some wanker leaves their stuff all over our pastures ect. I know rant rant rant..but jeeze that fries my arse :realmad:

We always pack in pack out as I am sure that the majority of us do a few jerk offs wreck it for everyone.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not surprised, I have been up Lucille in the summer time, we packed out 2 large garbage bags of mostly beer cans and the same other stuff they talk of. The area around the little lake is always the worst. I don't understand what is so hard about bringing out your garbage when it is empty? It takes less space and weighs less, why is it so difficult for these idiots to follow one simple rule, pack out what you pack in!
I agree with doing a clean-up but not to be negative,the editor of the letter doesn't realize how hard it would be to conduct a clean-up in the alpine, the distance to be covered,the rugged terrain, etc. Perhaps, incredibly large signs need to be put up along the trail, at the cabin and in the parking lots, as well as some large forestry / recycling type bins in the parking lots. Making it abit easier for the morons to use and see might help. Other than policing ourselves there is no easy answer.

All 3 of our parking lots have garbage cans and there is signs in all cabins but none at the trail heads. Will fix that this fall. Not all sledders are bad only about 2% but again that is all it takes and I am in trouble. We all know many different types of outdoor groups that leave a mess but where I sit the only ones I have to answer about are sledder's. All I can ask is that if you see someone that is disrespectful of our enviorment let them know that it will hurt us all if they continue that practise. THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would like to thank Barry and all that have gone up to just strictly clean up at the cabin and pick up trash on the trails. I don't think the hiking community knows how much effort is put into cleaning up other peoples crap. Through out the winter there have been multiple threads on here from the Mcbride people and VARDA about how many bags of garbage they haul out just to keep our sledding areas open for another year. Maybe it is time to use a bit of unecessary force on those who don't clean up after themselves. Tell everyone at the cabin on in the parking lot, be loud about who left there wrapers and cans lying around. Yes this could turn into fist-to-cuffs and i say bring it on!!

Steve

G

Guest1

Another thing I been noticing is the amount of Cigarette butts in summer in places were people always stop sledding. After few years they add up to lot of litter.

:eek: I was one of those until I had it pointed out to me.

GOT PACK OUT WHAT YOU PACK IN

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some people are just so narrow minded that if its out of sight its out of mind..... Till spring. Cover it with snow and its gone.....

I would be guessing, but this topic is not on most sledding peoples minds, about the garbage in the Alpine that is. Simply because we travel, We ride and then return home. and most never come back till the start of a new season of tearing up the slopes. The ones who are flinging garbage and beer cans all over the alpine.... well shame on you. You deserve a big kick in the junk with a frozen boot!!! This is another prime example of a few schmucks spoiling things for the rest. Total ignorance.:rant:

P.S. I wish one day we could have a positive thread of what we as a group (sledders/quadders) have done...... instead of all whats wrong with everything all the time.... one can always hope....:cool:

Mongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We all know that the "knuckledraggers" of Sledding and Quading will keep doing this and all the responsible people will bear the brunt of it by taking the flack and picking up the garbage. Will it stop? Not likely. Why? Because there is little in the way of enforcement or any practical way of supervising the jerks that offend. What can we do? Just bitch and keep picking up other peoples crap or take a picture of the offenders and their machines and report them to RAPP (report all poachers and polluters) 1-877-952-7277
24 hour hotline.

Who's comitted enough to do this and possibly go to court as a witness? Or should we just preach to the converted on forums?

I've done it and been to court 3 times for the same jerks and its not over yet.

How bad do you want to save YOUR ride areas?

CR500R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would like to thank Barry and all that have gone up to just strictly clean up at the cabin and pick up trash on the trails. I don't think the hiking community knows how much effort is put into cleaning up other peoples crap. Through out the winter there have been multiple threads on here from the Mcbride people and VARDA about how many bags of garbage they haul out just to keep our sledding areas open for another year. Maybe it is time to use a bit of unecessary force on those who don't clean up after themselves. Tell everyone at the cabin on in the parking lot, be loud about who left there wrapers and cans lying around. Yes this could turn into fist-to-cuffs and i say bring it on!!

Steve

Heck, even if it turns to fist-to-cuffs, as long as you entice the moron littering to swing first, now he's got an assault charge to deal with when he gets back to town. If someone has pictures of the whole episode to hand over to the cops, perhaps, then he'll get the message or better yet not even come back. I think this is the method I am going to take up this winter, loud, vocal and in your face.

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The amount of garbage left in sledding cabins during the winter points very clearly at sledders - sorry cat girl!

There was an interesting point on that letter - forums, websites, clubs etc should have an environmental policy clearly posted for all to see. Snow & Mud it would be good to see you leading the way here - perhaps a permanant category with helpful tips for environmental care would be good......compile a list and make it a feature thread that does not allow 'post quick reply' - that way no one will take it to a stupid place and ruin the reason.

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can understand the authors frustration with all the garbage, but he is very narrow minded on his solutions. Education is always best :rules: and it sounds like we have a lot of sledders who do care. Now we just need to help the small percentange who abuse it too see the light..:PDT_gun:(even if it is a red laser dot):d

I think every club and riding area works hard on this. Keep up the great job.

mountainbigbull

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What does he mean when he says treads? Is he talking about track lugs? If he is I wonder if it the new rubber ones or the old plastic ones. The plastic ones did come off more often than the rubber ones. I had over 4000 miles on my last track and did not loose one rubber lug.

As for you people that throw your garbage in the snow: grow up and take the garbage out with you. This kinda stuff just adds to the movement of banning sledding in the back country.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What does he mean when he says treads? Is he talking about track lugs? If he is I wonder if it the new rubber ones or the old plastic ones. The plastic ones did come off more often than the rubber ones. I had over 4000 miles on my last track and did not loose one rubber lug.

As for you people that throw your garbage in the snow: grow up and take the garbage out with you. This kinda stuff just adds to the movement of banning sledding in the back country.

Maybe threads, from belts?

brew_doo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I still don't understand how smokers think that throwing butts out the window of their truck is not littering.:nono::nono:

Top Bottom