Caribou Recovery Strategy Response

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We, as snowmobilers are good people. We need a voice that is heard, in order to do that, here are some points to consider when addressing the Recovery strategy for Woodland Caribou, Southern Mountain Population in Canada released by the Federal Government. They are asking for our input. Let's bring it.

MOUNTAIN CARIBOU ALERT
YOUR ACTION IS NEEDED
The Government of Canada
Environment Canada and Parks Canada
“Recovery Strategy for Woodland Caribou,
Southern Mountain population in Canada”

Firstly about the title above, mountain caribou are woodland caribou that choose to live in the mountains in the winter to avoid predators, they are genetically the same animal, hence the wording of the title, but we are talking about the mountain caribou that we are all familiar with.

“BC’s Mountain Caribou Recovery Plan Is Not Working”
The federal government has decided that the Province of British Columbia’s plan to save the mountain caribou is not working. The Province of BC had to initiate a recovery program for mountain caribou because of SARA. The Species at Risk Act (SARA) is a piece of Canadian federal legislation which became law in Canada on December 12, 2002. It is designed to meet one of Canada's key commitments under the International Convention on Biological Diversity. The goal of the Act is to protect endangered or threatened organisms and their habitats. It also manages species which are not yet threatened, but whose existence or habitat is in jeopardy.

SARA defines a method to determine the steps that need to be taken in order to help protect existing relatively healthy environments, as well as recover threatened habitats. It identifies ways in which governments, organizations, and individuals can work together to preserve species at risk and establishes penalties for failure to obey the law.

The Feds Plan
The Feds have released the initial draft of their plan to save the mountain caribou, it is available online at "Recovery Strategy for the Woodland Caribou, Southern Mountain population (Rangifer tarandus caribou) in Canada [Proposed]" (2014-01-17) (PDF format, 3,503.36 KB).

What Can You Do?
There is an online site (http://www.sararegistry.gc.ca/document/default_e.cfm?documentID=1309) to make comments regarding the draft plan, the public commentary period which ends on March 18th, 2014. If you are shy you do not have to provide your name. We need snowmobilers to speak up so that the Feds will not impose any further closures on recreational snowmobiling. Fortunately for many years there has been a group of snowmobilers working diligently on mountain caribou issues and we have learned a lot. So to assist you make an informed comments here is some information:

1. Snowmobilers are regular folks, often families that have always respected wintering wildlife through avoidance and minimizing any impact of contact. Snowmobile clubs have preached proper backcountry wildlife stewardship since the 1970s.
2. 85% of all mountain caribou mortality occurs in the late spring, summer and fall (not snowmobile season).
3. Number one cause of caribou mortality is predation (wolves, bears, cougars, and wolverine), other reasons are avalanches, natural causes, run over on the highways and trains.
4. Reasons for failure of provincial Mountain Caribou Recovery Plan was the failure of the Province of BC to do its job as they specified in their agreements with organized snowmobiling to implement:
a. An effective Predator Control Strategy (reduce wolf, bear, and cougar populations in immediate vicinity of mountain caribou)
b. An effective Alternate Prey Species Control Strategy (reduce moose and deer population in close proximity to mountain caribou, to reduce predator populations in the area).
c. A successful program to augment small populations by transplanting animals from large populations. (two programs were attempted both failed completely)
5. Snowmobilers’ possible interaction with mountain caribou was always an educational matter; it never should have been dealt with by regulation.
6. The removal of recreational snowmobilers from much of the historical mountain caribou habitat did nothing but allow unimpeded access by predators.

So please feel free the use the information above as part of your comments, and please do comment, if the federal bureaucrats get enough comments from enough snowmobilers they will respect us.

So Why Are Mountain Caribou Populations Declining?
Most caribou populations around the world are declining, climate change is often cited as one reason. Mountain caribou in BC started to decline due to the effects of 70 years of forest harvesting in the Interior of BC. Clear cutting and the resulting growth in the years following clear cutting an area result in excellent habitat for moose and deer, and where there are populations of moose and deer predator populations follow. Wolf, bear, and cougar populations in BC are at historical highs because there are high populations of prey species (moose and deer), and every years less hunters.

Will the Feds Plan Succeed?
The short answer is no, for the same reasons the Province failed. The public in larger urban areas will not accept the above items 4a and 4b, the provincial politicians know this. So the Feds will manage what they can, which brings us back to us snowmobilers. Our impact on the demise of the mountain caribou is so small as to be immeasurable, but we all know how the provincial bureaucrats and the media like to vilify us in mountain caribou stories.

So please take the time
to send your comments online to
the Government of Canada
http://www.sararegistry.gc.ca/document/default_e.cfm?documentID=1309

Last edited:

straightshooter

Reaction score
What are caribou populations declining? I'll tell u why because the are about as smart as a goldfish. A couple of my friends track animals crossing pipelines they all agree that they are the dumbest animal around and can't believe they are not already extinct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got a headache yet Trish? :rolleyes:

Nope not even close... I'm exceedingly optimistic, loud.. determined, and have given birth to 4 kids most without pain relief... so... I have lots of fight in me yet, we have so many awesome people banding together in BC, I'm thinking we've got it going on.

High five guys and thank you for putting forth your voice... there WILL be a phase two... we've only just begun.... muh ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nope not even close... I'm exceedingly optimistic, loud.. determined, and have given birth to 4 kids most without pain relief... so... I have lots of fight in me yet, we have so many awesome people banding together in BC, I'm thinking we've got it going on.

High five guys and thank you for putting forth your voice... there WILL be a phase two... we've only just begun.... muh ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!
I don't know what it is that you smoke/drink but DAMN it must be good sh*t. You are always so cheerful and upbeat, hope these issues don't drag you down to our level.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One thing that I ask is that we not hate the species... they are simply a pawn in the game just like we are. They are trying to do what they need to do, perhaps it's the lower snow falls, perhaps there's something environmental going on with the lichen, perhaps they need easier terrain to live and thrive in, and the mountains just aren't cutting it any more. Regardless why, the caribou don't seem to want to be in the mountains.
This is something I wrote when we were living up the Wildhorse, off the grid.. needless to say, the Government didn't step in and try to transplant my family back to up the horse when I didn't make enough money for us to live up there. They simply went.. hey Trish's family, sucks to be you, go live some place better suited for your family.
Caribou questions | SnoRiders

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know what it is that you smoke/drink but DAMN it must be good sh*t. You are always so cheerful and upbeat, hope these issues don't drag you down to our level.

My husband was laughing at me when we were in Kaslo this past weekend.. I was thoroughly enjoying myself on the dance floor.. a bit of wine and I was busting a move like no other... Including the lawn mower... and my newly invented.. "chainsaw dance" in celebration of Kaslo's timbersports games ( I chuck Axes at it)..... He said.. everyone was looking at me thinking.. I want what she's on..... which is nothing but a bit of wine... this lunatic energy level is all me baby! whoop whoop. :D :D. I've always been a bit high strung.. ok very high strung.. and I want to contribute to life every day... thus my involvement in our sport, and other Awesome causes. :D

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank Momma here is mine. Caribou area closers in BC where done based on one study. If caribou populations are on the increase in a area why change anything, I am referring to the Hart Ranges in BC. Closing snowmobiling in this areas could have the opposite effect. Special interest groups have had big impacts based on BS.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A little predator control would go a long ways also, I have never seen as many wolves as this winter...there are so many they are hanging by the highways up here. With the winter BC is having the predators have a real advantage over the herbivore's with the crusty snow conditions.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Queest has caribou , never seen them but have seen tracks

Buddy stayed at the cabin over night and said he got up in the middle of the night to stock the fire, looked out the Window and seen eyes looking in...

There was a pack of wolves, said the tracks up the stairs ( and the door don't latch good lol) , figures at least 6 eyes sets he could see... Just out the Window over the deck

The deck covers most of what u could see

sent while I should be drinking tea's

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think predator control is a big one. Now I'm a huge .. like I mean HUGE animal lover, and I do have a pet wolf, but to my understanding, as part of the recovery program there was to be some sort of predator control implemented... now take a step back and look at it.........

If the government were to start plucking off wolves to help implement predator control, the zamfir flute playing big hearted hairy arm-pitted people, not understanding the problem would probably start a riot... OMGOSH poor wolves... how could they go and shoot the puppies........... I have to admit, the thought of shooting anything as a control measure makes me a bit squeamish, BUT... and here's the big BUT...... There is a problem, started by man, provoked by man... but not controlled by man... they started messing with the wolf population, reintroducing species where they didn't belong... and surprise.... absolute chaos, and mass destruction of elk, moose, caribou, etc... Did you know they transplanted wolves in the same area as the Caribou last year???? Strange eh...
When writing your letters, be factual, and respectful which lends credibility to our cause. It's not the caribou, it's politics, plain and simple.. we must get into a position where we are seen for who we are by main stream media. Many people who weigh in, are sitting in their penthouses in Vancouver, not knowing the entire situation, simply believing that motorized recreation is the devil... we need to counter act their influence by being seen and heard as educated, respectful and nature loving people, who simply enjoy the low impact sport of snowmobiling for our recreation. Invite your local media to your events, and even invite them to do stories on your family enjoying the great outdoors. When you do something positive for your community announce it with Trumpets... for all of our sake. Anyone with connections to media, can you get in touch with me... I'm thinking we are in a wonderful position... how many people are actually aware of the caribou who died at the hands of biologists during their epic fail of a transplant? Perhaps we need to bring out the facts to help save the needless murder of poor helpless caribou.. haven't they been through enough already? Bad bad biologist.. they have hurt far more caribou then we have if you think about it...
Keep it positive, remember the Caribou are not the bad guys, nor are we. Those who recreate with family, please please mention that, and how your families enjoy the back country.

Again, thank you! Snowmobilers are Awesome people.

Last edited:

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
Thank you for sharing this. I am the vise president of the seymour arm club and we are impacted hugely by the caribou. I will be drafting something up and sending it off to them. We can not afford any more closures in our area. It seems the more we get restricted from the more applications are filed for increased land tenures from CMH heli skiing in our area. Seems a bit suspicious to me. Mind you they did revoke their last application after we made some stink about it. It really boggles my mind how they can still fly and ski in an area that we have rode in for 30 years and are no longer allowed in.

rotormech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So hear is a question, if some native groups can block highways, burn police cars,fight the Canadian army with no concequenses, mabey we just start riding these closed areas and says screw you.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So hear is a question, if some native groups can block highways, burn police cars,fight the Canadian army with no concequenses, mabey we just start riding these closed areas and says screw you.
Wear your head dress and claim "you are in my native country" when caught and nobody will touch you.....

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretator and competion control is here in Alberta south west of Grande Prairie not sure where but the only animals fish and wildlife want living are the Caribou this came to me from one on the task force he said it was stupid what they are doing to save them.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And bear numbers up in the FSJ area are insane. Since BC changed the bear hunting rules stating that edible portions must be taken many hunters quit hunting them. I have eaten bear and it was not my thing. I was on 1100 acres this fall hunting, there were no deer, like none, seen one moose and a herd of elk....what was plentiful was the 44 black bears !!! The amount of calves and fawns these bears take when the babies are being born is crazy...easy pickings. The BC government needs to change hunting rules and bring back the cull if wildlife is to survive. The ignorance of the rule makes astounds me !!! An elk season up here from september to october 31, cows and bulls....then an LEH draw from Dec1 to Feb 28 for cows...a doe mule deer season...and whitetail bucks from Sept to Nov...the herbivores don't stand a chance and then throw predators in there. BC fish and wildlife need to look at the real problem.....themselves !!!! I can't imagine it being any different where the closures are happening.

Last edited:

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing this. I am the vise president of the seymour arm club and we are impacted hugely by the caribou. I will be drafting something up and sending it off to them. We can not afford any more closures in our area. It seems the more we get restricted from the more applications are filed for increased land tenures from CMH heli skiing in our area. Seems a bit suspicious to me. Mind you they did revoke their last application after we made some stink about it. It really boggles my mind how they can still fly and ski in an area that we have rode in for 30 years and are no longer allowed in.

Just know you aren't alone. Every step of the way we are with you. If you need to bounce some ideas off our board, or enlist our help in any way, we've got some talented peeps at your disposal. My number is on the ABCSnow site if you'd like to chat. Anything I can do, or our Association can do to help you, we're in! Sending out a newsletter today, so if you could go through it and ensure your club members get it that would be great! I'm always approachable and willing to help, as are our awesome board members.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

This is what I would urge against... any ammunition at this point they have to solidify the reckless hooligan hurts us in a big way.... even one person with the Screw You attitude takes away from the credibility we are trying to put forth.. We can do this.. but it takes all of us being on the same page. Understand some want us to be non compliant, so they can say.. see I told you so... those snowmobilers can not be trusted to adhere to arrangements....

On the flip side.. I was speaking with the The head of our Caribou committee yesterday, and yes.. we do need to become organized, and physically present, in the face of those who are making the decisions... not in a threatening hooligan way.. but in an organized Powerful united way... All of us.

Top Bottom