Here we go again.......friggin' savior's of the earth!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
You should stop eating vegetables then because it will surprise you just how much this happens! LOL Actually many large cities do this, Calgary being one that we run a soil sampling program for. The waste is processed (usually in a digester/aeration combo at least) and the final effulent/sludge is put back onto the land, they're not pumping straight poop/sewage onto the ground.... LOL The Hutterite colonies also spray "Black Rain" from their pig lagoons onto the soil and it acts as a great fertilizer. Placing the effluent on land allows further degradation time, UV from the sun will kill microbes, the plants only absorb the nutrients they need and do not absorb "human waste". One of the important reasons to wash your veggies though.... haha. Up until a few years ago, the City of Victoria piped raw sewage out into the ocean, guess where the salmon on the kitchen table came from..... heehee

The issue of Sask and the amount of fertilizer is related to the nitrogen in the water. Nitrogen and nitrate in the water causes "blue baby"syndrome, a blood disorder where nitrogen inhibits the ability of hemoglobin to carry oxygen. Yes nitrogen is a component of manure but this is augmented by far too many commercial over-applications of fertilizer. Most of the underground aquifers in Sask do not flow anywhere near as fast as a stream in BC, so the ability of nitrate to accumulate in the aquifer is much higher.

LOL...and I hate to break bad news to you...but no one is "upstream" of any potential for beaver fever, fecal contamination etc. Animals will defecate in a stream just as readily as humans and run off carries all the issues from the forest floor right into the stream. Many times people who live "off the grid" from treated water supplies have more water quality issues than those in urban centers usually due to lack of water treatment. Turbidity, sedimentation, etc. Often times the water tastes better fresh in a mountain stream due to lack of processing (pipes, pumps and chemicals) but does not mean its any "cleaner". If rural users are on wells, often times there is a lot of bacterial growth in the well unless it is routinely shocked. I grew up on rural BC water in the kootenays, and after I got into the environmental industry and did some water testing on our source, I made my parents get a water treatment system.....;).

Anyway, good to see some of the caribou survived to start a new herd!

If I can digest all of that I'll be a little more up to speed on the idiosyncrasies of environment behaviour regarding the spraying of human sewage onto fields. Thanks for the information. I'm not totally out to lunch but a lot of those things are surprising. With regards to the water, I am happy that I am at the top of the chain other than a few animals (a moose, beaver, bear, etc. here and there). It is much better than using drinking water in North Battleford, Medicine Hat, and Saskatoon.

The caribou will survive to become food for a predator. Few will die of old age.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Really???? That's what you got from that pic???? Jeez Doug, you started this thread! Did you forget what it was about? :shrug:

I don't really care what the caribou are doing. They will be just fine and the wolves and cougars will love them to death! I don't like the fact of the environmental movement using them in the context they are but until we get some Minister's with some guts/balls we are in trouble. I'm thinking after the next election, it will be trouble anyways; the Park will be front and center!

It was a shock to my system about the effluent. I guess my sheltered life is getting to me, eh! I'm thinking the environmentalists would have a hay day with the sewage spray but then again maybe not after reading modman's explanation.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At 10k per bou, that's some pretty expensive cougar food. I think they have a rabbit problem in Victoria, lets feed those to the cougars. Hell, I bet UVIC would pay for the removal.

Gotta protect those cougars.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
u guys sure have alot of problems in the east ... willy sure is glad he don't live over there o_O

(We're pretty happy about that too Willy.) :)

Now they're at Horseshoe Lake. OK Wildsight.....we'll trade you Horseshoe Lake for......ohhhhhh, let's say Richmond Lake in the South Purcells. :rolleyes:
At this rate they'll be in Alberta by summer! What a waste of tax payers money! :realmad:

Attachments

• IMG_0449r.jpg
    IMG_0449r.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 186

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
"Several have fallen prey to mountain lions" was a comment I noticed in one of the articles. Even though the biologist explained it well enough being that these are new to the area and may not know the safe areas yet, it doesn't follow the stats that were presented earlier regarding no mortality in the winter months from predators. What are your thoughts on this?

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No mortality in the winter came from a radio collar study done by Trevor Kinley for 6 years in the mid 90's on South Purcell "mountain" caribou that stayed up high till late spring/early summer. Mountain caribou move up and down the mountain 4 times per year.

These "woodland" caribou that they transplanted a month ago headed straight for the valley bottom and got eaten where they weren't supposed to be this time of year. In fact weren't supposed to be EVER. None of the few transplanted animals that more or less stayed where MoE put 'em have been eaten.....yet. Make sense?

One of 'em even swam across kootenay lake to Midge creek, then fell through the ice in the creek and drowned! Another swam across to Ainsworth, then came back to Sanka creek.....I guess they wouldn't let him into the pool! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd bring this back and claim a hun run.......hahahaha

Hey I forgot about this one (probably on purpose). What the heck's a "hun run"?

Here's what snowmobilers in Idaho and Washington are doing about it. Really.....we should have legally challenged the "at risk" designation a long time ago. Mountain Caribou are not a "species", they're an "ecotype" of Woodland Caribou, which are not threatened.

U.S. senators condemn caribou herd protection

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
First of all, a "hun run" is the chase for the 100th post in a thread. It can be 700, 900. or even 38,800. Then there is a "thou run" like 3000, 10,000 or whatever ending in 3 zeros. Nothing official, just a non-sensical thing to keep us occupied for the summer.

Still not too late to challenge it. When we have a government change, a lot of things are going to change in this corner of this fine province. I find it funny that we have Mountain Caribou and Woodland Caribou and they have to be treated differently. We don't have that designation with moose. There are different species of moose but they are not treated differently. The Woodland Caribou are huntable and I wonder if there are the two kinds in the Ft. Nelson area?

Friggin' greenies.....

Last edited:

kjb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does the species at risk legislation apply to a subspecies? I mean, since the woodland caribou are not at risk and the mountain caribou are the same species and are genetically the same as the woodland caribou then wouldn't the species be not at risk? It seems to me that if they are using the woodland caribou for augmentation, the problem is not a species problem but a heard problem. Then they should not be using the species at risk legislation. Is this not so?

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does the species at risk legislation apply to a subspecies? I mean, since the woodland caribou are not at risk and the mountain caribou are the same species and are genetically the same as the woodland caribou then wouldn't the species be not at risk? It seems to me that if they are using the woodland caribou for augmentation, the problem is not a species problem but a heard problem. Then they should not be using the species at risk legislation. Is this not so?

Just answered this in the Kootenays section for ya Kelly, but it deserves one here too.

That very lawsuit is going on in the U.S. right now. A legal challenge over the "at risk" designation has been launched by snowmobile groups in Idaho with support from State politicians based on the well known scientific fact that "Mountain" caribou and "Woodland" caribou are genetically the same frickin' animal! Be interesting to see how that plays out. Problem with that up here is.....neither of the Provincial snowmobile organizations have any money to launch any kind of legal action 'cuz they're too busy splitting snowmobilers apart in B.C. with their stupid little pissing match!

http://www.vancouversun.com/technolo...812/story.html

:realmad:

Last edited:

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First of all, a "hun run" is the chase for the 100th post in a thread. It can be 700, 900. or even 38,800. Then there is a "thou run" like 3000, 10,000 or whatever ending in 3 zeros. Nothing official, just a non-sensical thing to keep us occupied for the summer.

Oh damn! Lol, all this time I thought that was a race to get your daily post count to 100.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a question that came up here at the store. A customer made mention that the Nature Conservancy may be in financial trouble or something to that nature? Is there any truth to those rumors, and what would that mean for the lands they currently lay claim to?

powderhoundbrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Which Nature Conservancy? If you are referring to the Purcell Nature Conservancy it has a very high protected status. Almost that of a National Park so there is absolutely no way there will ever be any use of it outside foot and horse traffic.

I have spent a lot of time hiking / camping in the Conservancy and it is a pretty cool place.

The St Mary's Alpine Park is part of it and it is unbelievable. It would be a great place to ride though!

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think she's referring to the Nature Conservancy of Canada, which owns the former Darkwoods porperty on Kootenay Lake. Sorry Trish, haven't heard anything.

Top Bottom