Diesel Vs Gas 2500/3500

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Probably was doing a Regen for longer than normal because the def system wasn't doing its part
I thawed the truck out the night before bringing it to the dealer. As soon as the DEF code cleared, power was back, and 30seconds down the road when the light came back on, bam, instant power loss.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thawed the truck out the night before bringing it to the dealer. As soon as the DEF code cleared, power was back, and 30seconds down the road when the light came back on, bam, instant power loss.
It would take 10-15 l of Del to freeze again 5 hours I bet

Must have been something else, Chevy don't do that, mabe it's a gay balls new Dodge thing

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It would take 10-15 l of Del to freeze again 5 hours I bet

Must have been something else, Chevy don't do that, mabe it's a gay balls new Dodge thing
Pretty sure the injector was already shot at this point though. Tech tested it, and resistance was way out of spec. Was still under warranty, so whatever. Just ran 800km into mcbride with this stupid cold snap, and not an issue.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not even close, biggest pos I have ever had diesel and f150 in not a guy that bitches about a brand that I haven't tried, lol
Gotta say... My company has three F550s of various vintage ( 6.0, 6.4, 6.7) and they are all constantly needing major work. No experience with GM, but Dodge has treated me well.

Mach1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gotta say... My company has three F550s of various vintage ( 6.0, 6.4, 6.7) and they are all constantly needing major work. No experience with GM, but Dodge has treated me well.
Yes f350 6l good if you spend 10k in it when you buy, then 5.4 same thing spend money make it reliable, gm I stopped buying them at 20 yrs old and yes best 2 trucks have been dodge and growing up I always said never buy dodge, lol yet they have been the best truck ever, no don't rev me up lol just only hear Ford guys bitch about dodge lol

busted2x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol the 06 duramax. Great white buffalo.
If you read the owners manual on your cummins ram (am I the only one who actually reads the whole thing?) it says never to fill your def tank past 3/4 when temperatures are below freezing. Today it was -34 on my way to work. Not a speck of trouble. Have had the x km till limp mode come up once at -41, went away after about 5 minutes of driving when the def thawed. The def sensor is sonar based, as the system is designed to freeze. I'm a solid believer that if you understand your truck and follow the guidelines that the people who designed it lay out you won't have trouble.

JayT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you read the owners manual on your cummins ram (am I the only one who actually reads the whole thing?) it says never to fill your def tank past 3/4 when temperatures are below freezing. Today it was -34 on my way to work. Not a speck of trouble. Have had the x km till limp mode come up once at -41, went away after about 5 minutes of driving when the def thawed. The def sensor is sonar based, as the system is designed to freeze. I'm a solid believer that if you understand your truck and follow the guidelines that the people who designed it lay out you won't have trouble.
I deleted it. No problems so far. :)

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Not a chance! You’re suppose to put a bunch of aftermarket BS on then blame the company that made the vehicle, even though you didn’t follow the guidelines.....

busted2x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not a chance! You’re suppose to put a bunch of aftermarket BS on then blame the company that made the vehicle, even though you didn’t follow the guidelines.....

Cold starts and rolling coal. That's what they were really designed for. Maybe there's a seperate owners manual for people who come to the dealership with white oakley gascans and call the finance guy who somehow got them a used truck at 17.9% interest with no credit "bro". Imma have to look into that.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Best engine or not , why Does it seem necessary for the Fargo diesel owners to spend a bunch of money to make those things the most hideous , goofiest sounding truck on the road. Some nice looking good trucks, till you hear them !

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Best engine or not , why Does it seem necessary for the Fargo diesel owners to spend a bunch of money to make those things the most hideous , goofiest sounding truck on the road. Some nice looking good trucks, till you hear them !

c'mon.... you mean you don't want your truck to sound like a 1968 Massey Harris combine??

Summitraxx

Reaction score
I’ve own since new a 15 Ram with a Cumming 2500 , ( no brand loyalty here ) don’t tow a lot , just the sleds trailer couple time in theseason , the boat in the summer and the travel trailer few time in the summer ,may be 10 trips a year to BC , probably not enough to justify a diesel, but I amassuming my choice cause when I tow , itis long distance haul all the time , and the diesel does the job with some mushease compare to all the gasser that I had before and again that is my ownpersonal experience . Planning ondeleting all the antipollution system soon even if I have zero issue with thetruck after 80’k . Planning the keep itfor at least 10-12 years . Yes I missed my half ton for the sweet ride ,especially for the city & winter commute , but when its time to tow , I know the truck isbuilt and design better for the towing application ( IMO ) in regard fortranies , brakes , bearing ect..) and I canrelaxed behind the wheels when I am taking off for a long haul , when it shift in 6 th gear and it stays allthe way without fatigue. At the end, it about you type of usage , how much you wanna spend and what you ready toassume in term of $$ when it get time to maintenance or repairs on the longrun. I had 2 company truck before 6.0 andthen 6,2 gas 2500 GM ( nice truck !! )pulling company mid size enclosed trailer, results ; really poor gas mileage ( glad it wasn’t mine ) when towing, and always have that constant struggles tomaintain a constant speed without shifting all time so in other word not havingthe low torque , that somehow irritated me in my daily driving enjoyment but that isjust me .

iceman5689

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always have owned fargos and thought id change it up this go around. I do miss the cummins engine but no comparison in ride and comfort of a gm

Last edited:
Top Bottom