Diesel Vs Gas 2500/3500

iceman5689

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a co worker join me riding last weekend in revy, pulling my 28ft enclosed up 10mile hill outside golden and asked, doesn't your truck downshift pulling going up hills doing 120k/hr. I simply laughed, gas jobbers!

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are putting on decent miles per year, your fuel savings alone pays most issues.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mike is going to have a field day with this...

I’ve own since new a 15 Ram with a Cumming 2500 , ( no brand loyalty here ) don’t tow a lot , just the sleds trailer couple time in theseason , the boat in the summer and the travel trailer few time in the summer ,may be 10 trips a year to BC , probably not enough to justify a diesel, but I amassuming my choice cause when I tow , itis long distance haul all the time , and the diesel does the job with some mushease compare to all the gasser that I had before and again that is my ownpersonal experience . Planning ondeleting all the antipollution system soon even if I have zero issue with thetruck after 80’k . Planning the keep itfor at least 10-12 years . Yes I missed my half ton for the sweet ride ,especially for the city & winter commute , but when its time to tow , I know the truck isbuilt and design better for the towing application ( IMO ) in regard fortranies , brakes , bearing ect..) and I canrelaxed behind the wheels when I am taking off for a long haul , when it shift in 6 th gear and it stays allthe way without fatigue. At the end, it about you type of usage , how much you wanna spend and what you ready toassume in term of $$ when it get time to maintenance or repairs on the longrun. I had 2 company truck before 6.0 andthen 6,2 gas 2500 GM ( nice truck !! )pulling company mid size enclosed trailer, results ; really poor gas mileage ( glad it wasn’t mine ) when towing, and always have that constant struggles tomaintain a constant speed without shifting all time so in other word not havingthe low torque , that somehow irritated me in my daily driving enjoyment but that isjust me .

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A few people have said that but I don't see it myself. The titan looks more like a Ford than anything else IMO.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a Hemi, will never go back to a gas engine for numerous reasons. Doing over 100 in my stock cummins towing a 12000lbs up the coq, with 24l/100 on the lie o meter is one of them.

iceman5689

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unless you get 35+ mpg don't really see the market in these half ton diesels. Their towing capability is not much more then a stock gas jobber.

Mach1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Still can't put 2 sleds on them with or with out diesel. So aguess if you don't need a 3500 and a 1500 is no good the best would be a 2500, but what all around engine now, lol

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine is way nicer then my last dodge. The dodge I had to keep the tire pressure low when not hauling just to get a half decent ride. My Chev stays at 80 psi.

Comparing two completely different things though. IFS is a better ride, at the sacrifice of durability and ability to haul. IFS doesn't belong on anything towing/hauling heavy. I will keep my solid axle. The ride is pretty dahm good in these new ones, and I keep my rears at 80 all the time because I need it for towing/hauling. It's not a car. The upgrades have been pretty dahm good to, increasing payload capacity while improving ride. Pretty good to be able to have 5000lbs in the box and the truck sits level, and not need to screw around with air bags, tire pressure, etc.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Comparing two completely different things though. IFS is a better ride, at the sacrifice of durability and ability to haul. IFS doesn't belong on anything towing/hauling heavy. I will keep my solid axle. The ride is pretty dahm good in these new ones, and I keep my rears at 80 all the time because I need it for towing/hauling. It's not a car. The upgrades have been pretty dahm good to, increasing payload capacity while improving ride. Pretty good to be able to have 5000lbs in the box and the truck sits level, and not need to screw around with air bags, tire pressure, etc.

How is it comparing 2 different things? I am comparing my 2014 dodge one ton to my 2016 Chev one ton. When hauling my enclosed trailer the dodge would squat a few inches more then the Chev. Towing the Chev beat the dodge no question. It is the difference of driving with a few finger vs two hands. As for heavy hauling that why I got the Chev because my toy hauler was more then the dodge could handle weight wise.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cyle, you obviously never drove a GMC diesel for any considerable amount of time. They haul multiples better than a solid front axle. They are highway trucks that haul heavy with ease. 20k lbs 5er at 130kmh down the highway all day long.

230k km on mine and the front end feels brand new. The advantage of a solid axle is off road. It wouldn't suggest a GMC for a bush truck, they aren't designed for it.

iceman5689

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What he said, my chipped cummins has more bottom end then my new L5P but like above highway pulling couldn't be done smoother and effortlessly. Passing at highway speeds was a challenge before, the new duramax with 6 speed pulls straight through all gears
End of the day won't be using my new truck for work just pulling down the highway so it was a fit. Are they cheap, no. But take care of them and they last. My 05 cummins has 340,000 and has treated me well for 12 yrs, the engine may outlast the new 2017.

Last edited:

busted2x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At least you can grease a GM front end.... can’t on a Fargo

I've never understood that. There's a sticker under my hood that says warning, grease driveshafts at every oil Change interval. Yet you go under there, not a zerk in sight... How much more would it really cost to put greaseable parts in?

Top Bottom