Diesel Vs Gas 2500/3500

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've never understood that. There's a sticker under my hood that says warning, grease driveshafts at every oil Change interval. Yet you go under there, not a zerk in sight... How much more would it really cost to put greaseable parts in?
It's a needle grease fitting. I grease mine every oil change, takes 30 seconds.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How is it comparing 2 different things? I am comparing my 2014 dodge one ton to my 2016 Chev one ton. When hauling my enclosed trailer the dodge would squat a few inches more then the Chev. Towing the Chev beat the dodge no question. It is the difference of driving with a few finger vs two hands. As for heavy hauling that why I got the Chev because my toy hauler was more then the dodge could handle weight wise.

Well I call BS on that, like I said, my 13 dodge 3500 srw can have 5000 pounds of weight and sits level. You're trying to tell me a stock chev squats less? If you need to drive with 2 hands with the dodge, something is very wrong, or clearly very exaggerating.

Cyle, you obviously never drove a GMC diesel for any considerable amount of time. They haul multiples better than a solid front axle. They are highway trucks that haul heavy with ease. 20k lbs 5er at 130kmh down the highway all day long.

230k km on mine and the front end feels brand new. The advantage of a solid axle is off road. It wouldn't suggest a GMC for a bush truck, they aren't designed for it.

No I haven't, you couldn't pay me to own one. Tell me how a IFS hauls better then a solid axle, you should tell truck manufacturers, heavy haulers, and hot shots this because they clearly must have it wrong there is a reason very few use gm/chevs. Who doesn't leave pavement with their pickup towing? I'm sorry but towing 20k on a 5th wheel is no great feat for a 1 ton pickup. I've pulled 26k with my dodge one ton many times and pulls like a dream. I however, would never pull that much weight at 130km/hr, because to be blunt it's pretty stupid to move that fast with that heavy of load behind a pickup.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Then they can’t sell ball joints and tie rods and inner axle u joints at50,000 km

It seems dumb to some, but at the same time a sealed unit will out last a greaseable unit that is never greased. And with most people not doing their own maintenance, and dealerships being useless sealed units can make more sense. In most cases they see easily 200k+.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What he said, my chipped cummins has more bottom end then my new L5P but like above highway pulling couldn't be done smoother and effortlessly. Passing at highway speeds was a challenge before, the new duramax with 6 speed pulls straight through all gears
End of the day won't be using my new truck for work just pulling down the highway so it was a fit. Are they cheap, no. But take care of them and they last. My 05 cummins has 340,000 and has treated me well for 12 yrs, the engine may outlast the new 2017.

You're comparing 10 model years difference and wondering why the gm pulls better? That's not a far comparison, even though a 05 cummins will pull very hard, especially if it has a 6 speed. The new dodges will pull 30k with ease. I have not found a hill I cannot pick up speed on pulling 21k.

JayT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It seems dumb to some, but at the same time a sealed unit will out last a greaseable unit that is never greased. And with most people not doing their own maintenance, and dealerships being useless sealed units can make more sense. In most cases they see easily 200k+.
I call bullsh*t. 200,000k is a joke. When I owned my Dodge I did the ball joints on it twice in 100,000 k. Owned 2 duramax now and I've never done any front suspension work on either one of them
I feel like you may have a "slightly" biased opinion considering you won't own a gm

Last edited:

iceman5689

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You're comparing 10 model years difference and wondering why the gm pulls better? That's not a far comparison, even though a 05 cummins will pull very hard, especially if it has a 6 speed. The new dodges will pull 30k with ease. I have not found a hill I cannot pick up speed on pulling 21k.

Wasn't comparing ride quality but hp/ torque pulling. Clearly the gm is going to ride better even if compared to a 2017 ford or dodge straight axle.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I call bullsh*t. 200,000k is a joke. When I owned my Dodge I did the ball joints on it twice in 100,000 k. Owned 2 duramax now and I've never done any front suspension work on either one of them
I feel like you may have a "slightly" biased opinion considering you won't own a gm

What year was the dodge? Lots to be considered when no MY is mentioned.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wasn't comparing ride quality but hp/ torque pulling. Clearly the gm is going to ride better even if compared to a 2017 ford or dodge straight axle.

Exactly but you cannot compare pulling power with trucks made 10 years apart. Everyone has made huge gains in capability in 10 years.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Obviously some will go early, some is based on crappy aftermarket parts people use, driving like a dumba$$, etc. 100km on my current truck, front end is still like new. Old 2007 2500 hemi had to replace axle u-joint at 190km, everything else in front end was still factory. Could compare many many more. 200k is about the going mileage for front end parts with dodge, obviously some are higher and some are lower. One thing that will surely knock the front end out sooner is idiots driving the chit out of them, and yes dodges will go easier when abused because the front end is heavier then the others. But when the truck is treated properly, most see respectable mileage on the front end, especially in the newer models.

Mach1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I call bs bs because I have had many km over 400k with no front end parts on a 99 5.9 and finally sold it with 597,000 in 2012 and was always serviced from same mechanic to this day, also had 2012 with 212k with no front end parts....your bias. Lol

iceman5689

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's exactly what I'm comparing Power ratings. My 17 L5P 445hp @910 ft/lbs 5.9 cummins with mods roughly 400hp 900+ ft/lbs with NADP billet race tranny. Side by side the Cummins pulls away from the duramax on bottom end off the line. But the gm pulls better throughout all 6 gears, especially if you are at any % slope of a hill.Empty same story, buddies 6.7 chipped was a good two truck lengths ahead. Just can't come to terms yet on voiding warranty on new one. End of the day they both work well, one just a little better. All comes down to personal preference, I just happened to have dealer cost and decided to try out a Gm, glad I did.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^ Weird, my 04 Dodge is falling apart, rusted, front end replaced and falling apart again, rear end grinds around corners, driveshaft replaced, etc etc. Our 2000 GMC 6L, same hard life, no rust, runs like a champ despite being 4 years older and 230k km on it, 10k more than the dodge. 11 Duramax 230k km pulls 20k lbs all summer, runs and drives like its brand new. Replaced a TCM and a couple glow plugs.

iceman5689

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hoping to get the longevity out of the new dirtymax as well. This new engine so far is great, haven' heard of many issues as of yet.

Last edited:

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buddy has had five 1 ton long box dodges since 2006 some lifted, some stock, everyone one of them the same story as you for front end parts. Also his 16 seems to squat alot more than previous years for some reason with the same load on it.

My '07 lifted on 35's dmax never even needed a balljoint when I traded it in at 220k, did the left front wheel bearing under warranty, and had an alignment done at 185k when I changed the pitman arm.

For those that say ifs isn't good for hauling loads is misinformed imo. The only drawbacks I find with the ifs compared to a coil spring front end is the wheel travel department and ground clearance.

Last edited:

busted2x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
200k on front end? Do you go until it's falling apart with death wobble? I've never gone that for on any front end, even on half ton, Yukon, 1 ton chev, 2500 cummins. As soon as there's slop I change it out. Usually budget for it around 100. I like to keep everything feeling like new.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine didn't need it. Like I said, changed a worn pitman arm and had a wheel alignment done after and all was still good at 185k. If it wasn't, they wouldn't have done the alignment.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Someone drinking the dodgeaid? Lol. I find it funny that I have owned 4 new dodges since 2008. 2 1/2tons and 2 one tons then go buy the Chev 1 ton and notice right away how much better it tows but am told I'm wrong by a guy that hasn't spent any time towing or driving one let alone won't own one. I guess I'll have to sell my Chev and buy another dodge because cyle says my truck doesn't tow well.

Top Bottom