Ford EcoBoost real world towing MPG

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thats not really a real comparison, an 06 problematic Duramax to a low mile 2017 cummins. Right now Diesel is less then gas, and you'll get better mileage empty than these new 1/2 tons. (if the truck is deleted)

All these 1/2 tons with v8 or EcoBoost will make peak torque and HP over 4500 RPM, so they will all rev high on every hill, no way around it. If you want to pull any hill at 1900 rpm diesel is the way to go.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats not really a real comparison, an 06 problematic Duramax to a low mile 2017 cummins. Right now Diesel is less then gas, and you'll get better mileage empty than these new 1/2 tons. (if the truck is deleted)

All these 1/2 tons with v8 or EcoBoost will make peak torque and HP over 4500 RPM, so they will all rev high on every hill, no way around it. If you want to pull any hill at 1900 rpm diesel is the way to go.

OP isn’t asking about a diesel and he obviously knows the difference? Lol
And FYI the eco makes max TQ at around 2500 rpm and no comparison to the non turbo engines for down low performance.
Have had them all except a Fargo as wont drive them as junk . IMO Good motor but rest of truck ? Cost of repairs are crazy from what I have seen from fellow truck owners .
Have a eco now with 450 hp and 520 TQ and it’s awesome but my old 2012 Dmax is used for heavier loads and longer trips .

hondalrd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The 06 durmax was the LBZ engine. Probably the most desired duramax engine there is. Last one before all the emission crap. And diesel is only cheaper now. All winter and last summer it was anywhere from 20-30cents more a litre. I did the math on a few trips and my current gas truck was actually cheaper to tow with then a diesel would’ve been with the price difference per litre. I can guarantee once this COVID is done diesel will sky rocket back up

rebel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 06 durmax was the LBZ engine. Probably the most desired duramax engine there is. Last one before all the emission crap. And diesel is only cheaper now. All winter and last summer it was anywhere from 20-30cents more a litre. I did the math on a few trips and my current gas truck was actually cheaper to tow with then a diesel would’ve been with the price difference per litre. I can guarantee once this COVID is done diesel will sky rocket back up
Yup especially with production cut back.

Rene G

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The ecoboost is a nice truck, I have a first gen and it towed my tow hauler (26ft. bumper pull) pretty good, uses some fuel though

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have 2 friends that had the EcoBoost and they got rid of them as they were problematic and no better on fuel than any of the V8 trucks. If you look at how much the new 1/2 tons are these days I would look at a low mile used diesel. Im a big fan of Ram and the Cummins, I will never go back to a gasser. Bought a used 3500 got it deleted and 45HP tow tune and its amazing. I get 11.2 cruising at 120 on the highway and 18.4L pulling my 10,000+ LB trailer. Yes there is added costs for oil changes and fuel filters, but it is worth every penny.

Take a look at this truck. You would only need to spend $1800-2000 to get it deleted and tuned and your good to go to 500,000 km easy.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks...n-limited-4x4-crew-cab-149-0-in-wb/1460413596

You said you get 11.2 at 120km but also said it's better mileage then a 1500? My 11 hemi gets 10L/100km mixed highway/city driving my 3500 diesel doing the same driving was getting close mileage but not quite as good. While a diesel is nice, if you're not using it for towing/hauling it doesn't make sense. Good to 500,000km? Not too likely. Many will need things like turbos, injectors, etc that are way more money then a gas. Many Cummins aren't making it 200km before needing a turbo and that's about a $4k bill.

Anyone trying to justify a diesel for towing a few weekends a year is kidding themselves why they really want it. They just want a diesel and don't care about the extra cost, which is fine but be honest about it. A 1500 makes way more sense. There's plenty of people out there who drop $100k on a pickup and $100k on a trailer and use it a few weekends a year. Their decision but it's stupid to try and justify it and tell others it's not completely stupid.

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I had a 13 ram sport with a hemi and it never got 10L/100km. Anyways, just giving my 2 cents. To me it doesn't make sense to spend a pile of money on truck that won't tow your trailer any better then the truck he has or getter better fuel milage. If you want a new truck, then fair enough. From all the Ike Guanlet challenges it looks like the Chevy 6.2 is the one to have. The new 10 speed will help towing.

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 1 ton diesel gets 12-13L per 100kms - empty truck - wife's ridgeline gets 15-16 L per 100kms - I just got 200L in my titan tank at 86.9 - mint - it costs more for a diesel but it will get better mileage than a gas jobby both towing and empty truck - a diesel should last twice as long as a gas jobby - all you gotta do is delete the DEF - good 2 go - in the really really long end of things the diesel is by far superior - IMO - I also think the new doo is pushing zero boost - 14.7 and zero are the same people get your heads checked - "don't understand why people get diesels" - because they are better - same reason I push boost in the positive #'s - north of 14.7 people

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Capture.PNG
GETV8agvwUYAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

Hard to argue with fuelly.com .

Moose

Reaction score
Hello everyone I am currently looking to buy a new to me truck. I currently have a 2012 GMC 2500 6.0L. It gets about 7-7.5 MPG while towing my holiday camper which has a max weight of 8000lbs. I am wanting something that gets better mpg while towing and running empty. I know a diesel would be the best choice but I don’t drive enough to justify one. I have been looking at the EcoBoost and the Ford 5.0. The EcoBoost always worries me with pushing a little v6 that hard but they have been out for a few years and it seems like there is only a few problems and most of them have been fixed in the gen 2 engine. I have also looked at the 5.0 and would consider that for the reliability but it seems like most of the used trucks have the 3.5 eco in them. So I am looking for some actual mpg and Input on the engines.

im on my 3rd ecoboost(11 with 180000km,11 with 280000km and currently a 14 with 160000km and all 3 had/have lots of hours as I contract operate wells with them) and they have all towed really well but only get 8-12mpg while doing it.
I have also had the superduty in the 6.2 and currently have a 09 with the V10 and they do 8-12mpg while towing as well

IMO it doesn't matter what you have now a days they will all average 10mpg

only issues with my ecoboosts were the timing chains on the 11 with 280k it had the cold start rattle, I had repaired before it did any damage
I usually get at least 60000km ish on a set of plugs, but they are easy to change so not a big deal, might take a whole 20min

Last edited:

ScubaSteve29

Reaction score
My 2016 Ecoboost (3.5L) stock, tows my 7000 lb fifth wheel & utility trailer with a 1500 lb Commander very nice. Get's about 25L/100km doing 110 km/hr, and holds fifth gear really nice, even doing decent hills (Obed Summit). Just the trailer, about 20-22 L/100km.

Those motors pull great.

hondalrd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im on my 3rd ecoboost(11 with 180000km,11 with 280000km and currently a 14 with 160000km and all 3 had/have lots of hours as I contract operate wells with them) and they have all towed really well but only get 8-12mpg while doing it.
I have also had the superduty in the 6.2 and currently have a 09 with the V10 and they do 8-12mpg while towing as well

IMO it doesn't matter what you have now a days they will all average 10mpg

only issues with my ecoboosts were the timing chains on the 11 with 280k it had the cold start rattle, I had repaired before it did any damage
I usually get at least 60000km ish on a set of plugs, but they are easy to change so not a big deal, might take a whole 20min

Thanks for the input. I am also a operator so that is good to hear they can handle the engine hours and the abuse the trucks go through

Top Bottom