Ford EcoBoost real world towing MPG

hondalrd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone I am currently looking to buy a new to me truck. I currently have a 2012 GMC 2500 6.0L. It gets about 7-7.5 MPG while towing my holiday camper which has a max weight of 8000lbs. I am wanting something that gets better mpg while towing and running empty. I know a diesel would be the best choice but I don’t drive enough to justify one. I have been looking at the EcoBoost and the Ford 5.0. The EcoBoost always worries me with pushing a little v6 that hard but they have been out for a few years and it seems like there is only a few problems and most of them have been fixed in the gen 2 engine. I have also looked at the 5.0 and would consider that for the reliability but it seems like most of the used trucks have the 3.5 eco in them. So I am looking for some actual mpg and Input on the engines.

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The eco boost is garbage for towing - when the turbos are spooling she goes thru fuel like a hoor - I was getting like 30L/100km towing like 6000 lbs - 2012 eco boost - I tried mods to get better power and better mileage but never worked - 4" cat back afe - afe dual cone cold air - edge chip - I could lay a patch towing the camper at the red light - I put airbags in the back - it would almost wheelie when I was empty truck - 28lbs of boost - kept blowing the rear crank seal out - not economical - but fun - it overheated in the okanagon too towing - cooked coil packs and plugs like a hoor too - coulda been the hop up parts too

Last edited:

Jobu

Reaction score
You really don't get very good mileage on an ecoboost when towing. I had a 2014 and I averaged 28/L/100km towing an 8,000 lbs trailer around AB.

I went out camping with a buddy on May Long and he's got a newer Dodge Ecodiesel. I'm not dodge fan but he averaged 17L/100km with it pulling a 7,000 lbs tow behind. Just soemthing to consider.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
EcoBoost wasn't designed for constant towing applications. As a daily driver they are hard to beat but if you are always towing I would go with the 5.0

I had a EcoBoost and we are considering another one with the 10 speed automatic but she won't be towing much often, maybe the quad trailer or a grain bag from time to time.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anything with boost and using it is going to burn fuel .
You can’t compare the older trucks before the 10 speed trans in my opinion .
The trans makes a huge difference in the newer trucks .
The 5.0 L is going to burn fuel as much or more and not pull as well . IMO
6.2 gas empty is awesome as well but put a trailer on behind . Lol
Gear ratio and trans make a huge difference no matter which you would choose .
I like my eco but don’t pull much with it .

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Is any gas motor decent when towing?????

My 2003 Silverado 1500HD 6.0L got about 325km to a 100L tank
My 2010 Tundra 5.7L gets about 275km to an 80L tank

That's with the same load - 25' travel trailer approximately 5500lbs I don't find it varies much from 4000-8000 lbs

hondalrd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
EcoBoost wasn't designed for constant towing applications. As a daily driver they are hard to beat but if you are always towing I would go with the 5.0

I had a EcoBoost and we are considering another one with the 10 speed automatic but she won't be towing much often, maybe the quad trailer or a grain bag from time to time.

How come the 5.0? My understanding is they are the same engine design. Same dual overhead cam and direct and port injection. Some complexity but just turbos on the v6

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like mentioned in earlier posts, I believe any gas engine is going to have poor mileage when towing. If you don't drive enough to make a diesel pay, then look at a gas engine that gives decent mileage for the majority of your driving...

I feel I am in the same situation as you. I don't pull my trailer enough to constitute the cost of a diesel so I stick to a gas. My last few trucks have been the 6.2 GM gas. Empty, with easy driving, I will get 11.5-11.8 L/100. That equates to 24 to 24.5 MPG. When I hook to my trailer....its terrible....26 to 32 L/100 (8-10 MPG). But for the few times I pull my trailer, I am ok with that. The mileage I get empty which is the majority of my mileage is quite good...and the HP with the 6.2L is there when you want it.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For the few times most pull trailers they would just be better off renting the diesel for the long 2-3 week trips.
Use the 1/2 ton for short treks and be way money ahead .
Just makes me laugh how people can justify a diesel?

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For the few times most pull trailers they would just be better off renting the diesel for the long 2-3 week trips.
Use the 1/2 ton for short treks and be way money ahead .
Just makes me laugh how people can justify a diesel?

Yah they pull a holiday trailer 3 times a year so better get a diesel lol. As for a ford half ton I think I would buy the eco boost. It’s fast empty and fun to drive. My dad has a 2017 ram with a hemi and gets about 17l to 100km pulling his 5th wheel trailer. The guy he goes camping with has and eco diesel and they get pretty much the same mileage with about the same size of trailers. Buy the time you add the extra cost of diesel you’re better off with the more power of a hemi and more towing. A neighbour has the half ton ford power stroke. He’s not getting great mileage with that. 14-17l/100km empty

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How come the 5.0? My understanding is they are the same engine design. Same dual overhead cam and direct and port injection. Some complexity but just turbos on the v6

More torque in the V8. Think about how much you actually are towing. Unless it's daily for work or something I bet you only tow 20 days per year if that much? The EcoBoost is extremely hard to beat. Go test drive one.

If your towing more frequently like 50% of all your driving is towing then I would be looking at something completely different but if its only a few weekend's a month for 3 or 4 months during the summer would it actually pay to go with a bigger truck? They have all the towing power and capabilities but yes a trip through the mountains and you will notice the fuel burn. I had a 2012 EcoBoost. If I set the cruise at 105-108 leaving smithers I could to whitecourt or Edmonton and get 7-8L/100km. Not bad I think.

Last edited:

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It seem that all gasser trucks from all the big 3 get 8-10 mpg towing a 6-8k Trailer. My superduty with the 6.2 and 4.3 rear axle gets between 8&9mpg pulling a 9k trailer with quad on a deck between calgary and the kootenays or Idaho.
Like SWAT said, figure out how much you tow. That should help you decide how important towing economy is to the equation.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just saw a video release of the new 2021 Ford F150. Looks pretty sweet. Might be an option. Improved payload and towing specs.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It seem that all gasser trucks from all the big 3 get 8-10 mpg towing a 6-8k Trailer. My superduty with the 6.2 and 4.3 rear axle gets between 8&9mpg pulling a 9k trailer with quad on a deck between calgary and the kootenays or Idaho.
Like SWAT said, figure out how much you tow. That should help you decide how important towing economy is to the equation.

My super duty 6.2 CC long box was exactly the same with the 4:30 ratio which I thought was great .

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have 2 friends that had the EcoBoost and they got rid of them as they were problematic and no better on fuel than any of the V8 trucks. If you look at how much the new 1/2 tons are these days I would look at a low mile used diesel. Im a big fan of Ram and the Cummins, I will never go back to a gasser. Bought a used 3500 got it deleted and 45HP tow tune and its amazing. I get 11.2 cruising at 120 on the highway and 18.4L pulling my 10,000+ LB trailer. Yes there is added costs for oil changes and fuel filters, but it is worth every penny.

Take a look at this truck. You would only need to spend $1800-2000 to get it deleted and tuned and your good to go to 500,000 km easy.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks...n-limited-4x4-crew-cab-149-0-in-wb/1460413596

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Isn't it like $200/day to rent a truck from someone like Driving Force?

LMLCHEVY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Isn't it like $200/day to rent a truck from someone like Driving Force?
More than that. But that’s also if you can find one. With the slowdown in the patch right now there’s lots but when it pics up they’re tough to find. And lots of reg cabs too for some reason.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have 2 friends that had the EcoBoost and they got rid of them as they were problematic and no better on fuel than any of the V8 trucks. If you look at how much the new 1/2 tons are these days I would look at a low mile used diesel. Im a big fan of Ram and the Cummins, I will never go back to a gasser. Bought a used 3500 got it deleted and 45HP tow tune and its amazing. I get 11.2 cruising at 120 on the highway and 18.4L pulling my 10,000+ LB trailer. Yes there is added costs for oil changes and fuel filters, but it is worth every penny.

Take a look at this truck. You would only need to spend $1800-2000 to get it deleted and tuned and your good to go to 500,000 km easy.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks...n-limited-4x4-crew-cab-149-0-in-wb/1460413596

If you’re towing a heavy trailer or towing a lot, diesel is the way to go. Otherwise it’s not financially sensible. If you’re in love with having a diesel that can be justifiable to yourself, but if you’re realistic, there’s little advantage to the average recreational trailer user in having a diesel, and many disadvantages in our climate.

hondalrd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

That is a nice truck and a good price for a used diesel. But I have owned a 2006 duramax diesel 2500 and it towed amazing and the fuel mileage was also very good. But I don’t think I will touch another diesel that is off warranty. I had to do injectors and the price was just under $7000 in just parts. I did the labour and installed them. There is a lot more on a diesel that can go wrong and working on the engines is a nightmare now. I was hoping the ecoboost would tow good and not rev to 5000 rpm on every hill

Top Bottom