Diesel Vs Gas 2500/3500

hondalrd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys so I am looking at getting a new or slightly used one. I had a older Duramax but sold it due to it getting high in mileage. But I have been pricing out new diesels and it’s a 11000$ add on for the new Duramax. And you have to buy the def fluid and emission stuff that I’m also worried about. So from a real world opinions who has ran the gas jobs in heavy duty trucks? I was looking at the 6.2 ford has. I heard the gm 6L was gutless. Is the diesel worth the money?? I know it will be hard to tow with a gas after a diesel. But I tow my fifth wheel probably 5 times a year and use a Sled deck and travel to the mountains about 9 trips a year. Looking for opinions ? Heard the 6.2 get about 14 mpg unloaded ?

Last edited:

Mach1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will be in your shoes in the new yrs also as I'm way past my miles on this f150 almost 400k. I will be going to look for a pre emissions fuel and lots out there, I think that what ever you plan on using truck 70% of the time, that's what you buy. I'm going back to diesel and stay there, interested to see also what gas engines where and are good, good luck

hondalrd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will be in your shoes in the new yrs also as I'm way past my miles on this f150 almost 400k. I will be going to look for a pre emissions fuel and lots out there, I think that what ever you plan on using truck 70% of the time, that's what you buy. I'm going back to diesel and stay there, interested to see also what gas engines where and are good, good luck

Ya I loved my 06 Duramax but it didn’t have emissions and it got awesome mileage and was a bullet proof truck but was lacking a lot of the interior features the new ones have. And the new diesels don’t seemed to get that great of mpg even?

ATV Rancher

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How much weight are you towing? We've got two 6.0 GMs and one 6.2 Ford, as well as a 6.4 Ram. You can get by towing a pretty good load, if you're not afraid to wrap 'em up pretty tight sometimes, and shift manually. The Ford might pull just a little better than the GMs, but has certainly been more trouble prone, and less user friendly. Like you said, the expense of diesels keeps getting higher, and the problems, maintenance, and expense of the emissions system is a deal killer for many. I haven't used our 6.4 Ram but hear good things about it. I don't even worry about the gas mileage. It is what it is.

Halon60

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a 2014 Ram 2500 with the 5.7 Hemi. It got T boned in 2016. I always liked that truck. Ram has 2 engine options and both have more power than than Ford or Chevys offerings. The 6.4 Hemi has 420 HP. The 5.7 has 383 HP. I love the look of the new GM/Chevy Trucks though. I know I’ll get flamed for saying this but IMO diesels are overrated and too expensive for what you do. Doesn’t make sense to pay $70,000-$90,000 for a truck then have to spend $3000-$4000 to take **** off it to make it run right. My choice would be a 3500 Ram SLT with 6.4 Hemi. Hope that helped.

Toro

Reaction score
I bought a 2016 Nissan diesel and I'm happy with it in part because it was a lot cheaper than buying a new diesel from any of the big three and I didn't want a 3/4 or 1 ton, but my buddy had a 2017 Ford diesel and was so disappointed with the cost per km to run it he traded this fall and went back to a gas 3/4 ton Ford which he claims is cheaper per km to operate and he claims works just fine for his towing and hauling needs.
Mine and his are both work trucks 5 days a week so recreationally you might not be too concerned.

Mach1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a 2014 Ram 2500 with the 5.7 Hemi. It got T boned in 2016. I always liked that truck. Ram has 2 engine options and both have more power than than Ford or Chevys offerings. The 6.4 Hemi has 420 HP. The 5.7 has 383 HP. I love the look of the new GM/Chevy Trucks though. I know I’ll get flamed for saying this but IMO diesels are overrated and too expensive for what you do. Doesn’t make sense to pay $70,000-$90,000 for a truck then have to spend $3000-$4000 to take **** off it to make it run right. My choice would be a 3500 Ram SLT with 6.4 Hemi. Hope that helped.

Yes I agree a new diesel is stupid money, but 60 /70 for a half ton is no better, that is insane prices. I agree the 6.4 in a 2500 dodge would be the sweet middle, what yrs are they in, thx

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure why guys worry about the emissions stuff. If it's a new truck you have 5 or is it 6 years of warranty anyways. GM doesn't really have problems with the def anymore. It's $1500 for a test pipe and EFI live if you do.

Diesel retains their value better. Sure it's more expensive, but go look what a good, used duramax is selling for.

You will definitely spend way more $ on gas than you will diesel and def. Def is literally $20 every few months, it shouldn't even be mentioned.

After 200,000km no one wants a gas truck, diesel will still run great for years to come. When you tow, you'll be glad you bought it.

Last edited:

Halon60

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes I agree a new diesel is stupid money, but 60 /70 for a half ton is no better, that is insane prices. I agree the 6.4 in a 2500 dodge would be the sweet middle, what yrs are they in, thx

2014 is when 6.4 L was available. The 2500 has rear coils and the 3500 has leaf springs. I found my 2500 rod really nice with coils and could still haul a deck with 2 sleds and all the gear with ease.

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You will definitely burn more fuel when pulling with the gas job than the diesel, and it won't pull as effortlessly as a diesel. That being said the cost of maintenance on a diesel according to a couple of my friends who have them is higher than a similarly equipped gas job. I drive a 14 F150 ecoboost that pulls my 22' enclosed trailer very easily and gets decent milage for a gas job if I keep it around the 100 km/h mark on the hwy. If the stuff you are pulling is heavy enough to require a diesel for you to feel comfortable and relaxed while pulling then any of the gas jobs will probalbly make you regret your choice if you do in fact buy a gas job. Peace of mind is worth a lot . JMO Good luck with whichever choice you make.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't understand where these high maintenance costs come from? I have diesels and gas trucks. One isn't more expensive than the other, they all need maintenance and occasional fixing. Maybe these guys own Ford or dodge, I could see those adding up quickly.

20L of Shell rotella is two oil changes and $69 on sale. A fuel filter every second oil change, extra $50?

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't understand where these high maintenance costs come from? I have diesels and gas trucks. One isn't more expensive than the other, they all need maintenance and occasional fixing. Maybe these guys own Ford or dodge, I could see those adding up quickly.

20L of Shell rotella is two oil changes and $69 on sale. A fuel filter every second oil change, extra $50?

I have never owned a diesel as I have nothing heavy enough to require a diesel personally. Just stating what I was told by my friends who own them. BTW one is a chevy and the other is a dodge.

hondalrd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do agree they hold there value a lot better. But one has to think about the rest of the truck also just cause the diesel can go 500000 km does not mean the rest of the truck will. And then factor in the cost of Diesel engine repairs if it is off warranty. But the towing is amazing with a diesel. And lots of diesels have 2 fuel filters so they maintenance can add up considering you have to pay a shop to do it if you want warranty. My fifth wheel is about 10000 lbs loaded up ready to go. And I only drive the truck on my days off and put less then 25000 km on a year. So I can’t decide which to go with

Mach1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

i have owned Ford and doge and are same as Chevy, yes diesel parts are more but are heavier stuff also. If you keep up on service get way more miles lifetime on diesels, towing lots yes Chevy no better then others, all about taking care of them....

ATV Rancher

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure why guys worry about the emissions stuff. If it's a new truck you have 5 or is it 6 years of warranty anyways. GM doesn't really have problems with the def anymore. It's $1500 for a test pipe and EFI live if you do.

Diesel retains their value better. Sure it's more expensive, but go look what a good, used duramax is selling for.

You will definitely spend way more $ on gas than you will diesel and def. Def is literally $20 every few months, it shouldn't even be mentioned.

After 200,000km no one wants a gas truck, diesel will still run great for years to come. When you tow, you'll be glad you bought it.
A few thoughts on that. The last Diesel I traded in was a 2014 Ram 2500. I know everyone says to do a delete, but it's still more money, and then you can't trade them in to a dealer that way, and your warranty is iffy....especially if you can't get to your purchasing dealer. That's the way it's supposed to work down here, anyway. When running the '14 slow, like checking cows hour after hour during calving, it would regenerate often, and stink and fall on it's face, and sometimes throw a code. At 60000 miles a service light came on, and wouldn't go out until the dealer performed a $700 egr....and whatever else.....cleaning. Driving it over 80 mph any distance would always cause a check engine light, and at ~75000 miles......on a bit of a trip, the check engine light came on and info center started counting down 150 miles to limp mode (5mph) because of an emissions problem. That's when it got traded in. I never did find out what the problem was, but I suspect it was the DEF pump. I just really lost interest in the new Diesels after that. They have their place, but if something's too heavy I hook it behind a semi. If you look, there are some later model gassers out there with really high miles on them, and I question whether the trade-in values of the Diesels comes anywhere near the initial cost and all of the other expenses related to them. Adding DEF isn't even on the radar as far as costs go, like you mentioned, but it's one more thing to keep electrically thawed out, and another system to have problems with if you stay legal.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a 6.4 hemi in a 3500 dodge. Traded it for a 3500 Duramax. Let's just say I USED to be a dodge guy. First thing is first. How big and heavy is your 5th wheel? If it is like mine you won't be able to haul it with a gas job. As for the added costs of the diesel?? My diesel is way cheaper to run them my 6.4 hemi ever was. Oil change at the dealer is 100$. Oil change on the dodge to do my self was around 70-80$. Fuel mileage is way better so that pays for the extra on the monthly payment. It is twice the truck the dodge was. Even towing my smaller enclosed is a night and day difference

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do agree they hold there value a lot better. But one has to think about the rest of the truck also just cause the diesel can go 500000 km does not mean the rest of the truck will. And then factor in the cost of Diesel engine repairs if it is off warranty. But the towing is amazing with a diesel. And lots of diesels have 2 fuel filters so they maintenance can add up considering you have to pay a shop to do it if you want warranty. My fifth wheel is about 10000 lbs loaded up ready to go. And I only drive the truck on my days off and put less then 25000 km on a year. So I can’t decide which to go with

Duramax has one fuel filter. Cut a door in the inner fender to access it. Use zip ties to close the door back up. It takes 10 mins to change the fuel filter, no shop needed.

No, that's incorrect, you don't have to pay a shop to do your maintenance to keep your warranty. You have to record the work and keep receipts for filters, oils etc in your book.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A few thoughts on that. The last Diesel I traded in was a 2014 Ram 2500. I know everyone says to do a delete, but it's still more money, and then you can't trade them in to a dealer that way, and your warranty is iffy....especially if you can't get to your purchasing dealer. That's the way it's supposed to work down here, anyway. When running the '14 slow, like checking cows hour after hour during calving, it would regenerate often, and stink and fall on it's face, and sometimes throw a code. At 60000 miles a service light came on, and wouldn't go out until the dealer performed a $700 egr....and whatever else.....cleaning. Driving it over 80 mph any distance would always cause a check engine light, and at ~75000 miles......on a bit of a trip, the check engine light came on and info center started counting down 150 miles to limp mode (5mph) because of an emissions problem. That's when it got traded in. I never did find out what the problem was, but I suspect it was the DEF pump. I just really lost interest in the new Diesels after that. They have their place, but if something's too heavy I hook it behind a semi. If you look, there are some later model gassers out there with really high miles on them, and I question whether the trade-in values of the Diesels comes anywhere near the initial cost and all of the other expenses related to them. Adding DEF isn't even on the radar as far as costs go, like you mentioned, but it's one more thing to keep electrically thawed out, and another system to have problems with if you stay legal.

Its a dodge, what did you expect lol. A good engine in a POS truck. Try a GM product Sir.

A newer diesel truck is designed to tow/drive, not to sit around idling checking livestock. The worst thing you can do with a new diesel is idle them. If you have to idle it, put it on high idle, more oil pressure and the dpf won't plug up.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Duramax has one fuel filter. Cut a door in the inner fender to access it. Use zip ties to close the door back up. It takes 10 mins to change the fuel filter, no shop needed.

No, that's incorrect, you don't have to pay a shop to do your maintenance to keep your warranty. You have to record the work and keep receipts for filters, oils etc in your book.

Not 100% accurate.
I thought the same and argued with my wife about it as that's what the deal is on my dmax. She showed me her warranty information sheet for her Ford Focus and it says right in there too retain factory powertrain warranty all servicing needs to be performed by a warranty approved repair shop or dealership.

First I have ever heard of that one. Not sure how written in stone that is but not sure I would want to test it on an $80k truck. I suggest folks check with their dealers and read their documentation to be safe.

Top Bottom