Diesel Vs Gas 2500/3500

Halon60

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Someone drinking the dodgeaid? Lol. I find it funny that I have owned 4 new dodges since 2008. 2 1/2tons and 2 one tons then go buy the Chev 1 ton and notice right away how much better it tows but am told I'm wrong by a guy that hasn't spent any time towing or driving one let alone won't own one. I guess I'll have to sell my Chev and buy another dodge because cyle says my truck doesn't tow well.

Isn’t that what this forum is all about?. Drive what I drive or it’s a piece of ****!

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will say this. I love my chevy 1 ton. It is the nicest 1 ton I have owned but my nicest 1/2 ton I ever owned was my 2013 dodge longhorn that was loaded up. That was a kick ass 1/2ton.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used a older superduty with the v10. First truck I could actually see the fuel gauge move. I had the chance to keep the truck through an estate but being 2wd and that hard in fuel we sold it.

bud800

Reaction score
I work for a company that runs all 3 big brand trucks, diesel and gas across all 3 brands, and they all have problems.

The 5.7 hemis die prematurely, the 6.4s are solid but devour gas.

6.2 fords are bulletproof until they die which is unfortunately a crap-shoot, they seem very inconsistent in how many miles they’ll go before death. Ford 6.7 diesels are good with inconsistent fuel and oil quality and inconsistent oil changes as far as mileage between changes and swapping from conventional to synthetic and vice versa as costs see fit. Just be forewarned the exhaust system will cost you money if you don’t delete and that’s consistent across all modern Diesel engines. We don’t delete and just fix the problems but they aren’t as common or costly as some would have you believe.

The GM trucks cost more than they’re worth so there’s less around, but we’ve observed anything with a vortec is similar to the 6.4 hemi, pretty solid but hard on fuel. The duramax engines are great but again are not immune to the modern emissions system problems that plague diesels.

All in all to compare fuel efficiency between 1 ton diesels you’re pinching pennies and it becomes ridiculous. The current Diesel engines from all 3 big guys in a 1 ton platform, assuming very similar packages, will get similar mileage. And hate to say it but we drive on public roads and we’re all emotional so no way you’re maximizing efficiency all the time.

Drive all the trucks, pick the one that feels like your truck, and buy it. Who cares if it burns gas or diesel.

Brojoe

Reaction score
To be fair, the v10 was getting 33l per 100 from Saskatoon to Calgary. Which is not bad for a large gas engine pulling a trailer. Once in the mountains, that’s when fuel mileage got really bad. I carried a jerry can in the box to play it safe.
Fortunately it’s not my daily driver and it only makes a trip out west once.
The only negative to a large gas motor is the torque. Pulling a trailer up some of those hills at close to 5000rpm would be sketchy had the roads been slippery.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
…...........
1dabc2c83291288c25e6d6c9e3f1bf45.jpg

Top Bottom