Diesel Vs Gas 2500/3500

Halon60

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With the way our operators at work beat the **** out of the F-250 gassers and they keep running. It’s a no brainer which one to buy. Some of these yahoos drive off 5 foot banks that a dozer took all day to make. Front ends take a beating. To me. A diesel would split the frame like kindling if it did the same thing. A gas engine weighs less than a diesel... with the same ball joints and tie rod ends. Again no brainer.

iceman5689

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone chime in on how the def heaters work?? The freezing point is -11. And if you are parked in -30 for a week how does it stay from freezing and splitting without you running it? I understand they have a tank heater but clearly isn't heating if your parked. Big Question mark for me, coming from my old 5.9 Fargo.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone chime in on how the def heaters work?? The freezing point is -11. And if you are parked in -30 for a week how does it stay from freezing and splitting without you running it? I understand they have a tank heater but clearly isn't heating if your parked. Big Question mark for me, coming from my old 5.9 Fargo.

when you turn your engine off they pump all the DEF back into the tank, purge all lines. Once you start your engine you do not use any DEF till the sensors determine the lines and tank are warm enough. Once it reaches a certain temperature, -22 degrees for my ISX the engine no longer uses any DEF and simply stores the fluid and parks the rest of the system.

This is why it is important to turn your key off but do not disconnect the battery or use a night switch until all functions have stopped their cycles, it can take as much as 5 minutes in a worst case scenario to feed back the entire system.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

No idea how it works, but no problems ever here when mine was parked outside for two winters. I can tell you the stuff I buy doesn't freeze at -11 though, it's much lower then that. My guess is that the heater would start once truck is running, and the truck would not try to pull any DEF until tank is warmed up. No issues with tank freezing and splitting.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got the oil changed on my Cummins today, it was only $120 and that's at the dealership, man that broke the bank! Seriously though, I thought they use to be more then that? I know I can't be bothered to screw around with it at that price. Talking to the lube tech doing it, and the new hemis don't even have a dipstick for the transmission or the power steering fluid anymore, no way to check oil level, even looked at one and there's nothing. So much more garbage on them now.

new_nytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My uncle came to Alberta with his 2014 Dodge with a Cummins. It was -35 in the morning he left and his DEF tank was frozen. Truck was plugged in and started fine but it went into limp mode until tank was unfrozen. He had to let it idle for 2 hours to thaw. He said in limp mode it limits the speed to 5 mph. He also had it freeze one time while driving down the highway and it
went into limp mode.

A buddy had a 2011 Ford 6.7 and now a 2017 6.7 and he hasn’t had any issues. He said the Fords are programmed to shut off the DEF when frozen.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My uncle came to Alberta with his 2014 Dodge with a Cummins. It was -35 in the morning he left and his DEF tank was frozen. Truck was plugged in and started fine but it went into limp mode until tank was unfrozen. He had to let it idle for 2 hours to thaw. He said in limp mode it limits the speed to 5 mph. He also had it freeze one time while driving down the highway and it
went into limp mode.

A buddy had a 2011 Ford 6.7 and now a 2017 6.7 and he hasn’t had any issues. He said the Fords are programmed to shut off the DEF when frozen.
All def tanks freeze in the winter. ALL OF THEM. 98% it isn't an issue when they do and won't derate.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No idea how it works, but no problems ever here when mine was parked outside for two winters. I can tell you the stuff I buy doesn't freeze at -11 though, it's much lower then that. My guess is that the heater would start once truck is running, and the truck would not try to pull any DEF until tank is warmed up. No issues with tank freezing and splitting.
All of it freezes at the same temp. There is no special def fluid. It is the exact same no matter who's label it on it.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess it must have been my imagination then...
Don't doubt it derated, but frozen def wont do it. Not for at least few hundred km or several hours running and even then it ramps mileage down with warnings at the start. Something else must have caused it to completely hard down to 5 kmh right from start up.

new_nytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Probably. I have been working with the stuff since 2011 when they started using it on the big trucks. No additives. All the same.

Not sure what your point is? I realize there is little difference in DEF fluid. What I do know is that if my uncles Dodge DEF tank is frozen it derates. I was there when it happened. I have no idea if all Dodge’s do it but his does. He has had it in to the dealer in Nipawin Sask a couple of times with no solution.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure what your point is? I realize there is little difference in DEF fluid. What I do know is that if my uncles Dodge DEF tank is frozen it derates. I was there when it happened. I have no idea if all Dodge’s do it but his does. He has had it in to the dealer in Nipawin Sask a couple of times with no solution.

Sorry getting my quotes mixed up as I was busy when I typed those. I don't doubt it de rated but his is in that 2%. Most of the issues I have seen in that 2% have been contamination with the def. if he brings it to the dealer when everything is thawed out and they don't test the def it is pretty tough to find the issue. Not sure what dodge techs use for test equipment but if it is what I have seen in the past automotive guys don't have the same level of software the big truck dealers have.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had DEF system issues with my 2016 Cummins two weeks ago. First issue I have had in 90,000Km. The engine definitely derated. I was pulling my 28ft enclosed to move my sister in law home from university. Even empty, I couldn't hold 6th pulling up any sort of incline. Turbo would max at 20psi. Took it in, DEF injector was shot. An hour later it was replaced, and I was back on the road. I ran around for 2 days with the service DEF message on screen. Every time I restarted my truck though, it would reset the counter back ro 80 Km before limp mode. Never ever kicked in to full limp mode.

Overall, I don't regret switching from a hemi to the diesel, and I could never to back. Empty on the highway I average 12.5L/100, with two sleds on the deck I'm around 14L/100, and pulling my heavy tilt deck and t770 skid steer (17,000lbs combined) I average 24L/100 doing 110, and I rarely have to drop out of 6th gear.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
one of my customers had problems with his DEF pump on his 2017 ram and it kept de-rating his truck over the christmas holidays ended up being the pump was shot
due to a 3 week back order the dealer pulled one off a new truck on the lot would have been a 2700.00 fix if not for the warranty
on another note don't buy a cab and chassis ram dully as they are derated power and torque wise from the factory ( buy a long box dully and take the box off and they have full HP and torque )

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Three different guys with DEF problems in cold weather. Is this just a Fiat thing or do the others suffer with this problem as well?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had DEF system issues with my 2016 Cummins two weeks ago. First issue I have had in 90,000Km. The engine definitely derated. I was pulling my 28ft enclosed to move my sister in law home from university. Even empty, I couldn't hold 6th pulling up any sort of incline. Turbo would max at 20psi. Took it in, DEF injector was shot. An hour later it was replaced, and I was back on the road. I ran around for 2 days with the service DEF message on screen. Every time I restarted my truck though, it would reset the counter back ro 80 Km before limp mode. Never ever kicked in to full limp mode.

Overall, I don't regret switching from a hemi to the diesel, and I could never to back. Empty on the highway I average 12.5L/100, with two sleds on the deck I'm around 14L/100, and pulling my heavy tilt deck and t770 skid steer (17,000lbs combined) I average 24L/100 doing 110, and I rarely have to drop out of 6th gear.
Probably was doing a Regen for longer than normal because the def system wasn't doing its part

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
G.m trucks will inop the def until ambient temp has updated above -7 deg c

It's called frozen tank status lol

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Three different guys with DEF problems in cold weather. Is this just a Fiat thing or do the others suffer with this problem as well?

I’ve had a few small issues with my def on 2012 f350 in cold weather, and had the pump and sensor replaced on warranty at one point

Twice was showing less than 800km to limp mode in the cold, no place to warm up/thaw the truck out, so I filled it up but the sensor didn’t acknowledge that def was full. Was getting down to last 100km to limp mode and was worried I was screwed. Both times after a long hard hill climb it smartened up.

One was a big worry as we were in the middle of the Yukon, middle of the night, on the way back from Alaska

Top Bottom