xp 850 plugged rad

mudbug

Reaction score
Everyone has issues with plugged rads, your best bet is to pull it off the machine and soak it in water for a few hours then use a hose to rinse the fin's out. reinstall and your good to go. if your muddin a lot you may want to get a rad relocate kit.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"Only Polaris" on here has a nice RAD relocate kit for an 850 for sale ,cheap. Never ever any issues then.I have the same one..............

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I was checking out the various quads I rented polaris two years in a row and both times I managed to overheat the units due to plugged rads, so it doesnt surprise me.

kidder17

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your rad on an 850 is causing over heating issues it your own fault. Top front rack pops off and gives you complete access to clean the rad. Clean after every ride as part of normal maintenance and don't worry.

The 850xp is by far and away the best stock quad on the market for keepin the rad clean.

I have had mine through everything and because of proper regular maintaining have never had heat issues.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I was checking out the various quads I rented polaris two years in a row and both times I managed to overheat the units due to plugged rads, so it doesnt surprise me.

The older Popos with rad down low sucked. The new XP~S are the best rad in the buisness,twice as big as your canam . That`s why canam went to a bigger rad in the GEN 2 bikes..........

At the end of the day,if your rad is plugged it`s plugged..........If you don`t clean them you will overheat.

Last edited:

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure bout the 850xp being the best Stock Quad on the market comment regarding clean rads.......dont think ive ever had a speck of mud even hit mine on the xmr.....heh heh

09xp850le

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im not havin an issue, but i mbuilt the solution to keeping mud off the rad of my 850 and tryin to see if theres a market for it. got tired of cleaning skeg off of the edges

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know with mine I haven' had any real issues but if Polaris has moved the radiator that is a good thing cuz where they used to be sucked the biscuit. If what someone says is true you pop off the cover and voila you can clean your rad. I know on my Canam it is a little tougher to do, but as I said havent had too many problems.....yet!

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is the solution you built or designed? Lets see some pics, im sure more then a few would be interested, as its a never ending issue if your playing in the mud

09xp850le

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i built a set of covers for each side of the rad. if i had a camera that had a lower resolution i could put some pics up. they work great as i havent had to clean the rad all season since i put them on. as for the plastic kbrunless it worked great! the older airbox parts worked on a 2011 and we were able to put a k&n air filter out of an 09 in it! thanks again for all those parts, that was awesome!

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The fix............

Attachments

• 850 rad pics 021.jpg
    850 rad pics 021.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 78

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i built a set of covers for each side of the rad. if i had a camera that had a lower resolution i could put some pics up. they work great as i havent had to clean the rad all season since i put them on. as for the plastic kbrunless it worked great! the older airbox parts worked on a 2011 and we were able to put a k&n air filter out of an 09 in it! thanks again for all those parts, that was awesome!
Windows powertoys has a picture resizer that is great for all "old" versions of Windows. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/windows-xpFor Win7 there is Image Resizer for Windows

Last edited:

09xp850le

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
340.jpg

it sits on either side of the rad and is held in with a couple zip-tys. sorry for not havin pics of it in the machine, but im doin some tinkering on the plow mount.

Top Bottom