163” T3 track on a 165” 850??

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Can a guy put a 163 skid and track off a T3 on a 850 165” without ripping and tearing . I don’t much about 850’s but I think I may have just made the leap!

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can a guy put a 163 skid and track off a T3 on a 850 165” without ripping and tearing . I don’t much about 850’s but I think I may have just made the leap!
My buddy runs a 174 t3 on his 2018. Just needed drivers being 3" vs 3.5" pitch. Of course he also did rails starting with a 165.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
So basically switch the drivers off the 850 shaft too 3” pitch, dosnt seem to be much trouble. Only issue might be getting 3” drivers for the 850 shaft. Anyone know if you can buy them or doo they need to be specially built??

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So basically switch the drivers off the 850 shaft too 3” pitch, dosnt seem to be much trouble. Only issue might be getting 3” drivers for the 850 shaft. Anyone know if you can buy them or doo they need to be specially built??
Fairly certain you can press the XM drivers on to the gen4 driveshaft. The Avid drivers are the same for 2008+ anyways.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thx for the info,will be a summer project, just picked up a 19 G4 , Have a Nextech skid here as well, Ron was telling me the torque on the rear bolts are to much for thinner G4. Think I will call curtis and see if he thinks it will work or at least find out how to beef it up, Nextech skid with a T3 track.Think that might be pretty sweet!

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's been awhile, driver change as the pitch is different as previously mentioned. I think the drive axle will swap between the XM & the G4, bearings, brake ass'y & gears are the same....can't remember for sure.

The rails are an issue with length 165 vs 163 if it was stock Rr suspension. Being that you are going to the Nextech, if it is for a 163 you should be good. The center mounting will be the critical one.

Racersedge has rear tunnel hanger reinforcement bracket that would help keeping it from breaking. They also have a tunnel reinforcement support that should be installed as well. That rear skid is hard on the chassis, as well as its self Ha!.

T3 track is a major improvement over the G4, besides durability, improved deep snow. Better acceleration, less trenching & good down hill braking. Yes it is heavier, however it works noticeably better.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's been awhile, driver change as the pitch is different as previously mentioned. I think the drive axle will swap between the XM & the G4, bearings, brake ass'y & gears are the same....can't remember for sure.

The rails are an issue with length 165 vs 163 if it was stock Rr suspension. Being that you are going to the Nextech, if it is for a 163 you should be good. The center mounting will be the critical one.

Racersedge has rear tunnel hanger reinforcement bracket that would help keeping it from breaking. They also have a tunnel reinforcement support that should be installed as well. That rear skid is hard on the chassis, as well as its self Ha!.

T3 track is a major improvement over the G4, besides durability, improved deep snow. Better acceleration, less trenching & good down hill braking. Yes it is heavier, however it works noticeably better.

its 11Lbs heavier, thats alot of rotating mass

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Interesting, 10 pounds is a lot on a track. Sounds like I might be rolling the dice and I suck at gambling. I’m however pumped to be riding a 850. In no hurray, I also got a 174 skid with a Raptor kit in it adid another 5 lbs to the track . lol. Decisions , Decisions,, mayby stock track with some shocks and save the headaches haha.

catrutt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I disagree ! I think the G4 track is much better than the xm t3. I ran a 165 g4 and thought the stopping was much much better. I found the jump so better on the G4 I am sure the track has a lot to do with it. I also put 3600 km on it with out a single issue with the sled or the track. Track had no cracks or missing lugs.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I disagree ! I think the G4 track is much better than the xm t3. I ran a 165 g4 and thought the stopping was much much better. I found the jump so better on the G4 I am sure the track has a lot to do with it. I also put 3600 km on it with out a single issue with the sled or the track. Track had no cracks or missing lugs.

in good snow conditions the G4 tracks wins all the time in all aspects. You can noticeably feel the response of the sled with the lighter track. The only time the old T3 track shines is if the lugs aren't fully biting into the snow those teeth help for traction on the icy stuff

Top Bottom