work ethics question....?

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"Its easier to find a job when you have one"
Thats what my father always says to me.

I am currently looking for some thing different but am in a profession that is hard to find work. I have been looking for a while and continue to search almost every day.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
basically its my schedule...there isnt one and im tired of not knowing whats going on and not being able to make plans. yes i know the oilpatch is like that but im not in the oilpatch. just construction in which we have schedules set out to the day and hour. so why cant i have that. poor company organization i supose. there is restructuring going on so maybe i will wait it out

Maybe your boss or someone from the company is a member on here and your decision will get made for you. :d:d:eek::eek:

modmanmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
start looking for work.... take the bonus... when you find the job you want and they are willing to hire put in you 2 week... Im always looking for better a better job closer to home but until it comes im staying put.

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tough one....I think that there is no real wrong in your situation, you have earned your bonus, take it. Just remember the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence.

Maybe you could give your boss your schedule in advance , for when things are coming up........works for me, but I'm my own boss....lol

higher n you

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
iv'e been down that road. 10 years with same company, good money,excellent bennifits, bonus pay, etc. i even enjoyed the job, but...no schedule. gave it all up for 8-4 mon-fri, occasional sat and wouldn't trade it for the world.

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just remember the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence.

True that, I took a 70% pay cut and went from working a fantastic rotation to working 5 days a week. Took the position as I thought it could possibly be a career position. Found out very quickly that I do all the work, get paid the least and have no perks like the other employees have(rappelling from helicopters, etc).

I have been looking so much that its depressing, Im educated and hard working, just have limited options.

Take the bonus, work til you find something better. Focus on the good things in your job til you find something else than make your move.

And don't burn any bridges, even if they are concrete:d

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The bonus is yours take it!!! (and buy your superglides...haha)

No company would give you a bonus as a cash advance for the work you going to do in the future!

Unless you live and work in Fort Mac, then your looking at 4-5 year retention bonus, and most guys leave the day after they get theirs.

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe put your feet in the bosses shoes, how would you like it to be told. You are happy with the work but there are aspects you arent happy with. Tell them how you feel, there is no harm is talking. If you tell them how feel and how they react will tell you a great deal about who they are as people.
Personally respect is all someone can ask for. Self respect is the important part

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey kid, The fact that your concerned about this show a higher level of integerity already. Maybe talk to your employeers about your concerns and if they dont have solid answers for your issues then you know it time to look elsewhere.
The bonus is yours and is really of no consequence in the long term.
I remember talking about this sort of thing when we were driving to blue river and telling you to stay the hell out of the patch for this very reason. If you dont make a stand now you'll find yourself facing this same issue over and over again.You'll end up like so many of us that have missed our kids every bday,missed family vacations, hockey games and the list goes on and on.
Life is far too short to piss all your days away working.
As an employer of 40 people, i realize that people come and go and can never fault someone for leaving to better themselves or their lives. In the end its your life and up to you to decide whats important to you, and taking time for yourself is never a bad thing.
PS. lets go exploring next weekend, that is if you can get it off.

Last edited:

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe put your feet in the bosses shoes, how would you like it to be told. You are happy with the work but there are aspects you arent happy with. Tell them how you feel, there is no harm is talking. If you tell them how feel and how they react will tell you a great deal about who they are as people.
Personally respect is all someone can ask for. Self respect is the important part

I agree, talk to your boss first, express your concerns and what you would like to see happen and get his feedback as well, you never know untill you ask and it certainly doesn't hurt to ask. and as someone else mentioned don't burn any bridges. If that does'nt work then you can feel comfortable that you tried, accept your bonus for the work you put in and give them your notice.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the company respects you you should return it if you are leaving. I have burned a huge bridge with a massive company in Edmonton because frankly I didn't care they treat their employees like garbage. When I had enough at the end of a day I told my boss to shove the job and why I was so pissed off and not a chance I'd work another minute. Found out later if you give two weeks a lot of places just pay you out, should of did that in a way. Some might think I don't have integrity but the last job I left I phoned my supervisor and spoke for probably 30 mins about it and how the schedule just didn't work at all, but I loved the job. Even though he knew I was quitting he said I could stay till I found another job or whatever I wanted. I was respectful to them because there were a good company to work for.

pirate31red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as an employer ive given out the bonus and had people quit rite after it really sucks a bonus is a show of appreciation for previous and current performance.i beleive they are to keep the employee happy thus keeping them with you.might look like a kick in the nuts to take then quit.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as an employer my thoughts are as follows, you obviously like the company your working for or else you would tell them to go pound sand. like its been said before, ask to talk to your boss and explain to him your situation and feelings. i am sure that they will do what they can to acomodate you if possible and resonable requests are made. i know i would rather an employee come to me with their concerns than be pissed off when at work, talking at break time about the company bs etc, not saying you do, but when a guy does it brings down the entire companies/crews moral which in turn lowers productivity. means less money in my pocket at the end of the day. talk it out i am sure you and your employer will be able to come to a agreeable resolution to better both parties involved.
good luck maxwell

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am also an employer and all I can say is communication, communication, communication. Both employee and employer are working for a common goal and it is essential that both parties are pleased with each others responsibilities and expectations. As for the bonus, were you hired based on salary plus bonus (i.e. based on a share of company profit for the year). If this is the case, your quitting should have no bearing in getting this bonus. Just make sure you give them proper notice and dont burn a bridge as indicated from others. Good Luck!

jhsummit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.jhactivities.com
Lots of good advice here Maxwell. I think the best advice that I've read so far in this thread is to sit down with your employer and have an open conversation. If you work for good, decent people that appreciate your contributions to the outfit than I think you will be surprised as to the outcome of the conversation. You having a good conversation with the boss/owner could end up making the work experience better for yourself as well as the entire company. Opening up a good dialog with the boss/owner could help them create a better work environment for everyone.
I've always appreciated feedback on how I can make everyone involved happier. It's just good business to listen to people that work hard for you and do everything you can to make life and work easier and more enjoyable for them.
As far as the bonus goes. I agree that it is a gesture of appreciation for past performance, but not all owners/bosses look at it that way. A lot of people give bonuses to keep employees so you need to be cautious about that one. I think that attempting to have a good conversation before giving your notice will show respect and integrity and that will go a long way.
Good luck!

Top Bottom