Wildcat Trail review

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I picked up a new Wildcat Trail from T&T Powersports April 2 (Thanks for a great sales and service experience yet again!), and had the opportunity to take it out for a week out at Medicine Lake. I did make a few changes for our own preferences. So I'll list what was changed, and then go into a ride review.
- The factory exhaust is very close to the firewall, so I wrapped the header and swapped out the factory muffler / catalytic converter unit for an Evolution Powersports stainless muffler. It isn't much louder then stock, and the exhaust heat has been cut in half easily. Never noticed much of a seat of the pants difference in hp, but EVO claims 4 hp.
- Tires. T&T installed 27 x 9 x 12 / 27 x 11 x 12 Mega Mayhems (1.5" lug) on the machine. They are a bit heavier, but provide excellent traction and a touch more ground clearance. The Trail's 700 motor has no problems spinning them.
- T&T also installed a winch (this is a no brainer IMHO)
- I fabricated inner fender guards for the front wheelwells from aluminum, and replaced the 15 A fan fuse with a mini circuit breaker, added dielectric grease to all connectors
- Accessories: I added front and rear bumpers, rear angle roll bars, fender flares, LED lightbars front and rear. I also fabricated a snorkel kit for the rig that exits at head level.
So, onto a ride report... I chose the Trail as it will fit on my sled deck while pulling my holiday trailer, and although a tight fit, it fits perfectly - It is a bit longer then the RZR 50" unit. The machine is very capable in the mud, and has excellent throttle response and handling - a very well balanced package. Ride quality is very plush, although I did bottom out a couple times on some deep ruts. This machine is every bit as fun as any quad I've had, and maybe more so. (I previously owned a can-am outlander xt, a sportsman, and two arctic cats). The Trail is very stable on off camber hills, and although it doesn't have power steering, I don't feel it needs it, either.
Overall, Arctic Cat has done a great job in the 50" SXS Trail, I would recommend it to anyone looking at a smaller SXS.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very well engineered machines, even the winch bolts up easy without the need of a plate! I've had one since last year and had an absolute blast. If you haven't already take a careful look at the way some of the lines are ran on this unit, I spent a good amount of time ziptieing fuel/coolant/oil lines so they wouldn't rub each other or the sharp plastic edges. Also they have a small rad, so in the summer try to keep mud buildup off them. I built some side protectors to stop from mud splashing from the side and put a screen up front to help stop skeg from plugging it. Slip on pipe gives it a good boost in HP, I swap mine a few times and it's noticeable.

Steve D

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pic's of some of the stuff you guys did?

I'm on the fence between one of these and an almost new Commander.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pic's of some of the stuff you guys did?

I'm on the fence between one of these and an almost new Commander.

I ride with a few commanders every so often, here's my thoughts: Wildcat Trail Pro's: cheap, light (better in mud/snow than commander), good power to weight, better 4x4, better trail machine (narrow/low, corners better), much much easier to work on (I've helped change a few commander belts on the trail, not fun). Commander: much more comfortable (cat is cramped and harder to get in/out), better hunting/farm vehicle (big box, tilts, awesome seating room/height), can't beat a Vtwin, better fit/finish, more advanced cockpit/controls.

Really you gotta decide what you want to use it for.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also worth noting that these things are fast and lots more to unlock for power. Stock they will run with a commander. Toss on an stage 3 Evo tune (intake filter, slip on pipe, 91 octane) and they will beat a rzr 1000.... YouTube it, a few videos. Being 30% less weight with good Team clutching helps.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tough to beat that Kymco motor............
Well, sort of. The engine is an Arctic Cat design, manufactured by Kymco. Either way, this machine rips, and is at home in the tight trees, and ugly mud holes Had it out at Elk Point / St.Paul this past weekend, and the terrain it will go through is amazing - and it does it quick! We were railing though a VERY muddy hole / corner / uphill, and even on two wheels with mud being shoveled into the passenger compartment, it still clawed it's way through without even a hiccup. I should mention that I do have a clutch kit on order, and even without it, the machine has no problems turning the VERY aggressive 27" Mega Mayhems. I found the springs to be a bit light for my liking when pushing it hard (catching air lol) so have a set of custom rate springs on order, hopefully will have them installed by the weekend - will see if an extra 55 lbs per inch in front and 105 lbs per inch will provide the ride I want. Stock spring rate is 145 lbs/in of travel (and really plush) I'm installing 200 lbs/in in front, 250 lbs/in in the rear - willing to give up some plush to soak up the "stupid human tricks".
My only complaint with this machine is that I have to wash it when I'm done playing... I see my water bill going up exponentially in the near future.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am still thinking about a trail, but the sport edition for next year. Daughter wants a quad for 2016, but I think she might get my wife's Polaris 570 and my wife can have my Polaris 850xp and I would get the new toy,... just not sure if I want to go back to a heavy SxS again.

Mountainman52

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how the long term reliability for the motor and chasse are on the Cat SS

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To be more accurate it is a cat designed , and kymco manufactured engine.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not really it has been in the kymco scooters long before cat bought in....cat may have made a few changes , but that motor basically is the kymco scooter motor....

Steve D

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To be more accurate it is a cat designed , and kymco manufactured engine.

That's what cat wants you to think. Maybe the tuning is different, but it's the motor is essentially out of one of these:

Cat really, really tried stay mum on the whole relationship as if to pass it off as entirely their own creation, but it's at best a 50/50 design. I get it though, having a scooter motor might attach a bit of a stigma or something to their marketing.

(And don't misconstrue this as criticism toward cat for going with the kwang yang motor company... I go pick up my new Scoot-errr... Trail tomorrow. :D )

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Recalls? I've read of the oil lines and plastic melting by the exhaust. What else ?

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thinking hard about a trail lately. have you guys that had them had any if the common issues? oil lines, motor mounts, steering rack mount? looks like guys have had up to 31" tires on them without major rubbing issues so if I did get one I'd probably do at least 28's, maybe 30's to up the ground clearance.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG The oil line fittings were upgraded before I picked mine up. As far as motor mounts go, there has been an updated part released. Honestly, Cat has been looking after any issues in a timely fashion. That said, some guys can break an anvil, and they would have issues with any SXS, ATV, or any other motorized vehicle. If you are looking for a high speed dune runner, the Trail isn't it - look at a full sized Wildcat or a Sport. Some guys are running 30's, these will be the folks that will have issues with steering mounts if not reinforced IMHO. If you are thinking about larger tires, do your homework as some measure out significantly smaller then what's stamped on the sidewall...
Absledder: If you are buying your Trail in Bonnyville, you'll be well looked after by Terry, Mark and the gang at T&T. They do pay attention to the details, mine was set up perfectly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom