Front End Wheel Loaders...

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We are looking at purchasing our first front end wheel loader to do soil in the summer and snow in the winter. We currently run CAT skid steers and have a few other machines. CAT is all out of wheel loaders, so that isn't really an option.

Ive been looking at John Deere 524L (60hrs), Komatsu WA270-8 (new), 2017 Volvo 60 and a few other used machines. Does anyone have experience with these machines?? I know nothing about them and review sites are non existent.

The new Komatsu has 0.99% interest, 4 year warranty and 3 year free service. The other two machines have a bit of factory power train warranty left, 6-12months.

Any insight?? We've always bought brand new and kept our gear long term.

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ve got 3 WA320’s in my fleet and they’ve been rock solid. In my experience, SMS has been pretty good on the service and parts end. I wouldn’t hesitate to pick up a komatsu loader

All three of the units you listed are decent machines. The Volvo I’m assuming is an H model? Make sure any and all updates have been done.

It really comes down to dealer service imo. Everyone is in the same boat for parts supply but in the past I’ve found brandt and sms have better parts stock. When I worked for Strongco, I was constantly flying parts in.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How about the operation, power and speed of the units??

Komatsu uses hydrostatic trans, where the others have gears and torque converter.. the power on the Komatsu is a bit lower than the others…

Has anyone ran all of these models?

The service and warranty seem to be best with Komatsu, hands down.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Too small. Looking at machines that are 30,000lbs. Those are mini loaders.

Need a 3 to 3.5 yard bucket.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
We are looking at purchasing our first front end wheel loader to do soil in the summer and snow in the winter. We currently run CAT skid steers and have a few other machines. CAT is all out of wheel loaders, so that isn't really an option.

Ive been looking at John Deere 524L (60hrs), Komatsu WA270-8 (new), 2017 Volvo 60 and a few other used machines. Does anyone have experience with these machines?? I know nothing about them and review sites are non existent.

The new Komatsu has 0.99% interest, 4 year warranty and 3 year free service. The other two machines have a bit of factory power train warranty left, 6-12months.

Any insight?? We've always bought brand new and kept our gear long term.
What size cat were you looking at?

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ve got 3 WA320’s in my fleet and they’ve been rock solid. In my experience, SMS has been pretty good on the service and parts end. I wouldn’t hesitate to pick up a komatsu loader

All three of the units you listed are decent machines. The Volvo I’m assuming is an H model? Make sure any and all updates have been done.

It really comes down to dealer service imo. Everyone is in the same boat for parts supply but in the past I’ve found brandt and sms have better parts stock. When I worked for Strongco, I was constantly flying parts in.

I find Strongco flying parts in a bit, but it costs next to nothing and always next day. However SMS stocks nothing (speaking Takeuchi), when they need to order it takes weeks, chances are they order the wrong part I will not order a part from them anymore unless I give them the part number, they are completely useless, i've got to the point anything I can buy elsewhere locally or online I will I don't want to give them another penny if I don't have to. Unless you are a massive mining company SMS has no interest in you. Whereas Strongco is fantastic to deal with and has knowledgeable parts people. I would never buy anything Komatsu and be forced to deal with SMS, whereas I would lean towards a Volvo because of how good Strongco is. Brandt does carry tons of parts by having so many dealers, they've gotten better in the last few years realizing they were hurting alienating the little guys and begged them to come back, I got a few visits from their reps about why I stopped buying from them, I went back mostly because Martin doesn't have enough stock.

turbokid

Reaction score

tripster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Keeping long term Komatsu seem do discontinue parts for their older machines. We have mid 90's wa 450 and wa500 and have had a few parts that used is the only way to get. We have no problems getting older Cat parts for our 950B and 966C.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any operators have insight into performance, comfort, etc, of these models??

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have quite a few W250's and 200 tool carriers with 30,000+ hrs on them. Been great machines for us. Our 380 with 19,000 hours needs a head gasket. We do have a few Deere's now as Brandt gave us a pretty good deal on a package, but they regularly seem to be doing nickel and dime stuff to the 844.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have quite a few W250's and 200 tool carriers with 30,000+ hrs on them. Been great machines for us. Our 380 with 19,000 hours needs a head gasket. We do have a few Deere's now as Brandt gave us a pretty good deal on a package, but they regularly seem to be doing nickel and dime stuff to the 844.

Do you have experience with running both the Kom and Deere, how are they compare to each other?? I have no experience in these loaders, running them, operational wise. I don't want to buy something and the deere or other model will run circles around it.

Last edited:

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've spent some time in Komatsu,Deere and cat , I think as far as operating there all pretty close,I've never ran them all back to back but Id say there all close, Komatsu I've ran on dryland sort, gravel pit and snow removal and worked great in all applications . They stand up well to a beating and last a long time if maintained, for the money I think they are the way to go . The cats and Deere are great to but not sure they are worth the extra cost. Just my opinion.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks! If anyone else has experience running, I’d love to hear, cheers

Top Bottom