who wants to hear what the law in BC about securing a sled on a truck here in BC

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From the provincial CVSE website:

CVSE - North American Cargo Securement Standard

"Light vehicles
88(1) Light vehicles shall be secured in accordance with this section.
(2) Despite section 22, a light vehicle shall be restrained at both the front and rear from
moving sideways, forward, rearward and vertically using a minimum of 2 tiedowns.
(3) Tiedowns that are designed to attach to the structure of a light vehicle shall be attached to
the mounting points on the vehicle that are specifically designed for that purpose.
(4) Tiedowns that are designed to fit over or around the wheels of a light vehicle shall
restrain the vehicle from moving sideways, forward, rearward and vertically.
(5) Despite section 20, edge protectors are not required for synthetic webbing at points where
the webbing comes into contact with the tires of the light vehicle."

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How's about trying this in reagrds to tieing down a load....................

USE COMMON F ING SENSE!!!

:d

Raz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This may have been asked b4 but Superclamps say right on them that they are for off road use only and they should be used with a strap as well....does DOT care about this?

mermaid

Reaction score
A superclamp would be just fine for the front , with one tiedown on the rear skid not the bumper. Let the sled move up and down on the springs or shocks just make sure the skid is firmly secured to the deck. BTW we do not target trucks that are under 5500 kg's ...That is a police matter as they are armed not us..That being said we will work with them at road checks etc and then we will check everthing.
We spend most of our inspections on large trucks driven by all kinds of guys and it is never the same day to day. :realmad::eek::beer:;)
AS a driver for 30 years and cvse for 12 years it would be hard to hurt my feeling or chase me away from a sleding site..;)
But if you think yaaa got all the answers we have an opening coming up,, feel free to apply:d Cheers Mermaid

finkous

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a buddy and me were stopped because of bad weather just outside of valemount with 1 sled in the back of the truck and 2 on the trailer. the DOT's were there and we got to talkin to them about all this stuff, and what they told us is that every 9' requires 3 points of tie down, whether it be chains or approved straps. the old style crank down bars on the skis were looked at as 1 tie down and he wanted to see 2 more straps on the sled... what he gave us the most grief about was having the sled in the back of the truck up on the tailgate, he let us go on about our trip that way, but wasnt impressed with that.

i'm sure that its alot to do with what kind of mood the man with the badge is in

MrMorgan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've met accountants with two different interpretations of tax laws, lawyers with differing opinions on a law, and we all know two different judges never rule the same way. I'm guessing it's the same with the DOT and cops, there is a certain amount of interpretation there. It sounds like mermaid is a sledder, and therefore he gets it. Find another DOT guy that has never loaded a sled and I bet the interpretation will differ.

Stick it to the rig. Simple as that. Straps are cheap and only take a couple minutes to put on. Cut them to the exact length so you don't have to tie/wrap/ etc and your good to go in no time. I know I will be adding a second strap to the rear of each sled and measuring my overhang. Better now than on the side of the road when I know I will lose the argument. I guarantee the cheapest fine is still more than a two-pack of straps.

mermaid

Reaction score
Very well said Mr Morgan , so much of what happens roadside is all about the people in the mix . As we say there are always three sides to a story ..yours. mine and the truth.. If I stop you and I hear you ask what can you do any better then what your already doing. WELL we know there most likely not be any VT's handed out. On the other hand if you call me a rosterfish :nono:

Thanks for the surport guys and join your local club Cheers Mermaid

MrMorgan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cudos to you mermaid. It's takes a proud law-man to come out of the closet to take the questions and heat that some on this site dish out. The last thing you want to do when your on your time off and planning your sledding trip is to have to deal with work stuff. Thanks for your input and I'll ride with you anytime you make it to Valemount.

Cheers.

mermaid

Reaction score
Would love to ride up there again . Used to ride with Stan Hovde when he had the Hotel. Guess we got old and the kid's got us busy. Used to know everone in Valemount when I was driving for coca cola.. Thanks again for your kind words, I worked for 11 years with the Inspector that gave me my last 2 tickets. Boy we had fun with that one :d Cheers Mermaid

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mermaid aka Peter is offering us a service and vital information, I personally would like him to stick around. I'd appreciate it if you didn't attack him with idiotic questions/scenario's. If you truly feel strong about this issue, write a letter to some one higher up, no point shedding a tear here.

Thanks Peter for your input from the inside.

I just did write a letter lol.... thanks there internet cop:p

I never was giving mermaid the hard time!!!.... I was just venting the obviuos frustration to most of us,, its no fun getting pulled over for no reason so someone can make me feel like I have done wrong, now some officers are good but some are not and that gets tiring....

Work2Ride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I never was giving mermaid the hard time!!!.... I was just venting the obviuos frustration to most of us,, its no fun getting pulled over for no reason so someone can make me feel like I have done wrong, now some officers are good but some are not and that gets tiring....

You are forgiven.

mermaid

Reaction score
I know that evertime I stop someone that they are upset and tense and I deal with that in mind . I think if you are in enforcement you should have a sales background where your paycheck depended on getting along with people. But we all need to work on hearing as well as listening.. Thanks again guy,s you can't hurt my feeling you don't know what I ride..Cheers Mermaid

08summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I agree...Cops do their training over a couple month period and MOST do not know all the rules of the road or do they care to...thats what lawyers are for. I've been charged a couple times for hwy infractions that were thrown out when I went to court as they were wrong or misinterpeted by the cops...Then I am still stuck on the hook for the legal bill. Not knocking all cops here by no means but non of them no everything...if in doubt go to Google and search for yourself and find the answers.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know that evertime I stop someone that they are upset and tense and I deal with that in mind . I think if you are in enforcement you should have a sales background where your paycheck depended on getting along with people. But we all need to work on hearing as well as listening.. Thanks again guy,s you can't hurt my feeling you don't know what I ride..Cheers Mermaid

cheers to that,, I try and be friendly as can be when i get pulled over....

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
This topic sure gets beat to death!!!When in doubt-put an extra strap or two,it only takes an extra 2 minutes.If you have some overhang off the rear of your deck put a flag/light.Keep the beer cans in the cab instead of chucking out the window.Stay within 20k of the speed limit.
Few simple steps to avoid getting pulled over in the first place.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree...Cops do their training over a couple month period and MOST do not know all the rules of the road or do they care to...thats what lawyers are for. I've been charged a couple times for hwy infractions that were thrown out when I went to court as they were wrong or misinterpeted by the cops...Then I am still stuck on the hook for the legal bill. Not knocking all cops here by no means but non of them no everything...if in doubt go to Google and search for yourself and find the answers.

ya your time your lawyer bill,, thats b.s. I think when an incorect ticket gets given and disputed in court that officer should have to pay up something....

if my sales guy makes a mistake and says something that is not accurate,, guess who gets to pay,, the sales guy who decided to say something that was incorect,, lesson learned,, jeez is this not how we raise 4 year old kids..

bad kid gets small punishment so they learn,, bad cop gets to fawk another good citizen and we pay.. ohh how the world turns...

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This topic sure gets beat to death!!!When in doubt-put an extra strap or two,it only takes an extra 2 minutes.If you have some overhang off the rear of your deck put a flag/light.Keep the beer cans in the cab instead of chucking out the window.Stay within 20k of the speed limit.
Few simple steps to avoid getting pulled over in the first place.

very true Mike,,, my buddy just gave me a new invention,, wedge full beer between the glass and door frame (close window on can) at 120km/h and -12 degrees outside

beer is ice cold in 2.2minutes:d

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
very true Mike,,, my buddy just gave me a new invention,, wedge full beer between the glass and door frame (close window on can) at 120km/h and -12 degrees outside

beer is ice cold in 2.2minutes:d
you can jam a whole six pack under the wipers!!!

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Of course I was refering to cooling my pop or orange juice but I'm sure it would also work for beer.

Top Bottom