Whitecourt conditions

powder junkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was out today from eagle river staging area, we crossed hiway and headed east on triangle. Between "20" on map and big powerlines (wish i can remeber where we strayed off) is a lost ford 6.0L all burnt tucked away beside a lease. Wish i took a pic. Has set of rims on it, AB plates. Stolen im sure. Dosnt look like its been there long

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How was the snow? I'm sure it's minimal but is it rideable or just a potential wreck? Thinking of taking family for a ride.

Ronaha

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whitecourt rules!! We had the best time, the town and people were great. They will see our tourist dollars again fosho! And for all asking the snow was white, and frozen, lol but seriously it's good.

YamaDad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We rode from Eagle River to the Carson area. Snow was hard and somewhat bumpy but very rideable. Some powder around to cool the sled but not great. We still had an enjoyable family type outing. Much better than not riding.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Groomed from Whitecourt to Summit cabin only. Was -15 at Groat campsite today and +6 where the trail crosses the Ocelot road. Decent snow at Ocelot and should be better farther west.

We Need some more grooming pictures next time you are out.
With no snow we are sitting looking at the groomer.
But no going anywhere. Going to lose 2 months riding with this lack of snow.

old mountain man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We Need some more grooming pictures next time you are out.
With no snow we are sitting looking at the groomer.
But no going anywhere. Going to lose 2 months riding with this lack of snow.

Plan to go out grooming again next week. Decent snow in places but quite variable and changes quickly!

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Grooming ruined summit trail to the cabin, unless your riding a short track junker with a tiny lug stay away, was out before and after the groom and much worse now

Sent from my iPhone because who uses a computer anymore

Alwhitey163

Reaction score
Rode there on Friday and not much for fresh, but had great ride with a group of locals.
Scratchers are a must, great day, awesome trail system, and good people.
Hope they get more snow soon.

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Grooming ruined summit trail to the cabin, unless your riding a short track junker with a tiny lug stay away, was out before and after the groom and much worse now

Well you know it is a "NO WIN" situation for a groomer operator to maintain a snowmobile trail system when he does not get any fresh snow to mix in with the old trail snow/ice...
Lets face it - it is a very poor snow year!!!!

Every one in Albert has headed to Whitecourt/Swanhills as they are the only ones with snow!!!
After 400 sleds there needs a new snowfall. Then the groomer operator can blend the old with the new snow...
He still must continue to level and move/carry snow covering up bald spots along the trail..
If he does not groom/maintain these trails the whoops turn to ice and cause problems to the TRAIL BED all year long... it is a necessary evil...
If he has 24" of trail snow he can drop the cutter blades - grinding up all the old snow and ice and relay a new trail bed. That is ideal and will only see that type of trail late in the season February and March.
When he has only 6" of packed snow/ice it is extremely hard to set the cutter blades to cut 1" of the ground when the trail ground varies with rock, creeks, old trees/stumps, holes, bumps, willows/alders, steep hills - they all effect how the drag cuts, rolls and relays the snow bed..

Let's praise our volunteers and Groomer Operators for all their hard work and time - because at the end of the day it is all hard work for everyone!!! - so we can play!!

Please redirect your anger and frustrations to the SNOW GODS - for if we had decent snow every where we would not be having this complaint...

Take Care & Ride Safe

Last edited:

old mountain man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well you know it is a "NO WIN" situation for a groomer operator to maintain a snowmobile trail system when he does not get any fresh snow to mix in with the old trail snow/ice...
Lets face it - it is a very poor snow year!!!!

Every one in Albert has headed to Whitecourt/Swanhills as they are the only ones with snow!!!
After 400 sleds there needs a new snowfall. Then the groomer operator can blend the old with the new snow...
He still must continue to level and move/carry snow covering up bald spots along the trail..
If he does not groom/maintain these trails the whoops turn to ice and cause problems to the TRAIL BED all year long... it is a necessary evil...
If he has 24" of trail snow he can drop the cutter blades - grinding up all the old snow and ice and relay a new trail bed. That is ideal and will only see that type of trail late in the season February and March.
When he has only 6" of packed snow/ice it is extremely hard to set the cutter blades to cut 1" of the ground when the trail ground varies with rock, creeks, old trees/stumps, holes, bumps, willows/alders, steep hills - they all effect how the drag cuts, rolls and relays the snow bed..

Let's praise our volunteers and Groomer Operators for all their hard work and time - because at the end of the day it is all hard work for everyone!!! - so we can play!!

Please redirect your anger and frustrations to the SNOW GODS - for if we had decent snow every where we would not be having this complaint...

Take Care & Ride Safe

Thanks Ministik Man. We get complaints when we don't groom and now complaints when we do. You can make some of the people happy some of the time but...... Come up some time and I will take you out for a run! There is decent snow in places.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shoulda just never groomed, trail hasnt been pounded by to many sleds not by a long shot, just wasnt enough to even start the grooming by town or within 20 miles toward summit cabin for sure, don't give me a whole education on grooming i get how it works dont take a genius to figure it out, been riding here my whole life and seen them wait way longer for more snow to groom than this, like i said trail was decent, they groomed, now unrideable from town, there is places around here with enough snow to send the groomer out but definitely not that direction until you get way past the cabin, seems like we only groomed to say were the first ones to be grooming in the province, i understand the need to bring the sledders here as its part of the whole towns income, but now its ruined one advantage locals have which is to ride from home, and people would have still come to ride regardless of the "groomed trail" as we are the only ones with snow

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Ministik Man. We get complaints when we don't groom and now complaints when we do. You can make some of the people happy some of the time but...... Come up some time and I will take you out for a run! There is decent snow in places.

I will definitely take you up on that offer

brew_doo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the club shouldn't groom with minimal snow, should we volunteers not go out and clean the nearly 500 km of trail of dead fall and leaners until the trails are rideable in the winter? It's trail maintenance! Please show a little respect for the people that put their time and effort into the trails for everyone to use. Thanks. We rode the summit trail from Whitecourt today and it wasn't that bad considering the little snowfall we have had. It could be a lot better... but that will require more snow. We cut a few trees on the 'new' trail also.
Shoulda just never groomed, trail hasnt been pounded by to many sleds not by a long shot, just wasnt enough to even start the grooming by town or within 20 miles toward summit cabin for sure, don't give me a whole education on grooming i get how it works dont take a genius to figure it out, been riding here my whole life and seen them wait way longer for more snow to groom than this, like i said trail was decent, they groomed, now unrideable from town, there is places around here with enough snow to send the groomer out but definitely not that direction until you get way past the cabin, seems like we only groomed to say were the first ones to be grooming in the province, i understand the need to bring the sledders here as its part of the whole towns income, but now its ruined one advantage locals have which is to ride from home, and people would have still come to ride regardless of the "groomed trail" as we are the only ones with snow

Last edited:

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the club shouldn't groom with minimal snow, should we volunteers not go out and clean the nearly 500 km of trail of dead fall and leaners until the trails are rideable in the winter? It's trail maintenance! Please show a little respect for the people that put their time and effort into the trails for everyone to use. Thanks. We rode the summit trail from Whitecourt today and it wasn't that bad considering the little snowfall we have had. It could be a lot better... but that will require more snow. We cut a few trees on the 'new' trail also.

Moved two big trees off the trail while out there riding rock and stick trail, thats a whole different topic, just seems like a complete waste of resources to groom the portion that had little snow as it was because now it has none to very little for miles, im not saying the groomer did a $hitty job just that there wasnt enough to even start so why bother, ill stick by my they just wanted to be the first in the province to say they have a "groomed trail" and hoping that it would bring more people in over the holidays to buy trail passes thats all

brew_doo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You are entitled to your opinion sir. Thanks. Let's hope we get more snow soon!!! It's needed.
Moved two big trees off the trail while out there riding rock and stick trail, thats a whole different topic, just seems like a complete waste of resources to groom the portion that had little snow as it was because now it has none to very little for miles, im not saying the groomer did a $hitty job just that there wasnt enough to even start so why bother, ill stick by my they just wanted to be the first in the province to say they have a "groomed trail" and hoping that it would bring more people in over the holidays to buy trail passes thats all

amunro

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
It was a gamble, there was snow in the forecast. The groomer had more than enough snow to be out there the day that it went out. Creeks and washouts needed to be filled. WE were all hoping that the snow that was in the forecast would happen as forecast. It did not
That is really all there was to it. The Trail over Christmas was in great shape, we just didn't get the snow we were forecast

amunro

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Trail Conditions are rough. The south trail that was groomed held up over the Christmas Rush but is now very rough and hard packed. It is rideable but is not in the best shape. We gambled on the fact that we would have more snow by now and so far the snow has not come.
The North groomer has not been out yet. Trails in the north are rough and hard packed as well
I am still getting lots of positive reports of people finding snow in our area, also people reporting back that even though the trails are rough it beats not riding at all. I have been receiving pictures daily of people that are out enjoying what little we have for snow and being told that they will continue to ride until all the snow is packed or gone.
If you do decide to come ride Whitecourt in the next week or so, please keep in mind that we have no control over the snow, we are all VOLUNTEERS, and we are doing the best we can.
Please use Extreme Caution when crossing water including rivers, lakes, ponds and streams. Some of these smaller water spots may look frozen but may have rotten ice due to the recent warmer weather.
The trail behind Millar Western has eroded to the point of not being able to get the groomer through this season. A meeting was held between the Town of Whitecourt, The Whitecourt Trailblazers and Miller Western and it was decided that the trail will be closed for the season. This is due to the erosion and the unpredictable way the river is eroding the bank at this spot. We apologize for the inconvenience but it was deemed a hazard that could not be contained. The Town and the Trailblazers are discussing possible other routes from downtown to the trail system, and we will keep you updated as a solution is found.
Next General Meeting is Jan13th @7:30 Downstairs at the Legion
Pick up a trail pass or raffle tickets for a sledder in your life today!!

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
PATIENCE BROTHERS AND SISTERS OF THE SNOW..... SNOW IS ON THE WAY

Mon
4 Jan
02.gif

-10°C 14°F

Tue
5 Jan