Which Pro should I buy?

chrishew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys
I finally sold my motorcycle so now I'm in the market for a used Pro. I had my eye on drag_it's 2012 Assault with a 163 for sale on here but called today and missed it by a week, arggghhh that was a good deal. So back to the classifieds I go. I've been reading posts and trying to decide for a year what would best suit my riding style, still can't decide.

I've been riding an 2002 151 edge rmk for the last 4 seasons so anything is going to be a huge upgrade already. I ride in Sicamous and spend most of my time picking my own line through the trees. I like drops and hopefully whatever I upgrade to will handles them a lot better than the old trailing arm suspension didn't. I did the polaris demo ride in Revy last year and tryed both a 163 and 155. I had originally been thinking 155 to try and keep the skis light enough to play. Then I was convinced that I'd be kicking myself for not getting a 163 on those awesome deep days we all hope for. I still can't decide because how often is the snow actually deep enough to make that much of a difference and does the little bit of extra track speed from a 155 mean I just hit climbs faster, I don't do many long steep pulls anyway. Now I started thinking maybe I want an Assault with the powder track instead. I haven't ridden an Assault yet but would like to start jumping and dropping bigger (I currently drop up to 30 feet on the edge) so would the adjustability and stiffer springs on the Assault benefit me or would I hate the extra 2.5"s of ski width when trying to lay it over in a tight spot? I like that the Assault doesn't use a sway bar and have taken it out of every sled I've owned. My edge is a bear to layover so I'm sure I'd be capable of handling a 41.5" ski stance. Is it easy to adjust the Assault front shocks to the conditions? Is the Assault suspension super stiff? So many questions been running through my head for months now its almost enough to make me not bother and just keep riding the edge, haha joking.

I have up to $10000 to spend and would be happy with a few minor mods and as much warranty as possible. My money is available now but theres not many sleds on the market now so do I wait a couple more months? Are the prices gonna start going up as people get the itch or down as 2013's start hitting the showroom floors? I've been planning on a 2012 just for the few minor updates and better chance of remaining warranty, is it worth it or save 1000-1500 on a 2011? Is a sled with say 100 miles worth my $1000 more than 1200 miles if they both have the same warranty? Do you guys think there will be any 2012's still available from dealerships and how much?

Thanks in advance for your input. Dreaming of snow and with some cash to put a new toy on the hill whatever I decide on gonna be an f***in awesome year. LET THE SNOW FLY.:cool:

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depends how much you weigh? and what you like to do... check the specs on the total length of the 155 vs 163 and weight diff. if i was to buy a new sled it would be 163 all the way. Buy a 2012 and im sure that there is some left somewhere. i also did the ride out in revy. What did you think of the 600? I did a pull with the 800/155 straight up then did the same pull with the 600/155 and surprisingly only about 20-30 feet diff. I found the 600 to be way smoother running and EXTREMELY!!!! easy to twist around trees. i did try that with the 163... still easy but I did notice the weight between the two. My 2 cents if you love the trees and deep is what makes you hard then from your 2002 151 edge go 163 all the way.... you will love it
Rich

HardcoreRMK

Reaction score
get the aussault 155 if you are going to drop 25+ feet..I got the 163 because all I do is tree riding biggest jump I did was like 20 feet long and 15 feet high and that will be as high as I go not because I am scared but the Pro RMK 163 is'nt as tough as the assult...but if you ride alot in the trees go with the 163...155 is a big difference to the 163...can't sidehill as step and climb as high...Chris Burandt rides the 163 all the time for a reason right..lol

chrishew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys. I didn't try the 600 at the demo but I wish I would of I've heard they are very impressive. Looking at last nights post a 30' drop is probably a bit of a fishing story maybe more like 20-25' and I doubt I'll ever have the skill or balls to pull off more than 30-40'. Not one person I've talked to suggests I get a 155 so I think I'm gonna have to listen to the masses. I do spend 75% of my play time in the trees and Sicamous is quite often blessed with nipple deep POW so 163 and thats my final answer. If I break parts on big hits then its time for upgrades. Oh and I weigh 185 lbs. So where are you mint 2012 163, PM if you've got something for sale you think I might be interested in. ;)

etecheaven

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
get the aussault 155 if you are going to drop 25+ feet..I got the 163 because all I do is tree riding biggest jump I did was like 20 feet long and 15 feet high and that will be as high as I go not because I am scared but the Pro RMK 163 is'nt as tough as the assult...but if you ride alot in the trees go with the 163...155 is a big difference to the 163...can't sidehill as step and climb as high...Chris Burandt rides the 163 all the time for a reason right..lol

In all the videos i see he rides a 155, and occasionally a 163.

theunit1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He is on both seems to be more 163 now compaired to last couple years ,but what ever each for there own i like 163

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I kinda thought this thread would be about prostitutes reading the title. If i were you i'd try which ever you can get a decent deal on. If you find it to be lacking or not the correct choice you can always sell/buy again next season. It's not like your marrying it or anything.

theunit1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If they held on to any value not a bad idea but for the cost nice too get something right from the start

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If they held on to any value not a bad idea but for the cost nice too get something right from the start

The decent deal part is key. But if your selling say a 2011 pro 155 and buying a 2011 pro 163 it shouldn't end up being to expensive of an experiment. But ideally the right one the first time.

Last edited:

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2011 Polaris RMK Pro - Regina Snowmobiles For Sale - Kijiji Regina Canada.
I finally sold my motorcycle so now I'm in the market for a used Pro. I had my eye on drag_it's 2012 Assault with a 163 for sale on here but called today and missed it by a week, arggghhh that was a good deal. So back to the classifieds I go. I've been reading posts and trying to decide for a year what would best suit my riding style, still can't decide.

I've been riding an 2002 151 edge rmk for the last 4 seasons so anything is going to be a huge upgrade already. I ride in Sicamous and spend most of my time picking my own line through the trees. I like drops and hopefully whatever I upgrade to will handles them a lot better than the old trailing arm suspension didn't. I did the polaris demo ride in Revy last year and tryed both a 163 and 155. I had originally been thinking 155 to try and keep the skis light enough to play. Then I was convinced that I'd be kicking myself for not getting a 163 on those awesome deep days we all hope for. I still can't decide because how often is the snow actually deep enough to make that much of a difference and does the little bit of extra track speed from a 155 mean I just hit climbs faster, I don't do many long steep pulls anyway. Now I started thinking maybe I want an Assault with the powder track instead. I haven't ridden an Assault yet but would like to start jumping and dropping bigger (I currently drop up to 30 feet on the edge) so would the adjustability and stiffer springs on the Assault benefit me or would I hate the extra 2.5"s of ski width when trying to lay it over in a tight spot? I like that the Assault doesn't use a sway bar and have taken it out of every sled I've owned. My edge is a bear to layover so I'm sure I'd be capable of handling a 41.5" ski stance. Is it easy to adjust the Assault front shocks to the conditions? Is the Assault suspension super stiff? So many questions been running through my head for months now its almost enough to make me not bother and just keep riding the edge, haha joking.

I have up to $10000 to spend and would be happy with a few minor mods and as much warranty as possible. My money is available now but theres not many sleds on the market now so do I wait a couple more months? Are the prices gonna start going up as people get the itch or down as 2013's start hitting the showroom floors? I've been planning on a 2012 just for the few minor updates and better chance of remaining warranty, is it worth it or save 1000-1500 on a 2011? Is a sled with say 100 miles worth my $1000 more than 1200 miles if they both have the same warranty? Do you guys think there will be any 2012's still available from dealerships and how much?

Thanks in advance for your input. Dreaming of snow and with some cash to put a new toy on the hill whatever I decide on gonna be an f***in awesome year. LET THE SNOW FLY.:cool:[/QUOTE]

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For your riding I would do the assault. We have one in our group ridden by about a 230# guy with the powder track it gets around a lot better than you would expect. If you don't like the 155 and wide stance you can extend it to 163 and put on the regular A-arms really easily. A lot more easily than you can reinforce the chassis of a regular Pro.

chrishew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This would be a way easier decision if it were prostitutes, just look for the one with the least amount of miles. Haha.

Yesterday I said 2012 Pro Rmk 163 final answer, now today I'm leaning back towards an Assault (even before I read your post Bnorth, thanks for the input). I'm always in search of the next huck or hit so why not have the best factory setup for it. I didn't think the Assault chassis was any different than the RMK. I thought the Assault just had a heavier stiffer track and remote resy shocks. Can someone else confirm that the chassis is beefed up as well, if that is the case that would probably seal the deal for an Assault. Been thinking again that I might just go 155 regardless cause I want to be able to control track washout for thight turns and I don't think I'm heavy enough to wash a 163. If I find the 155 isn't enough than $1000-1500 should fix that.

Little more about my riding style. I'm 28 been riding for 20 yrs flatland and mountains for 15. I weigh between 180-190# depending on munchy intake. I'm an aggresive rider that usually bounces off a few trees and takes a couple of tumbles throughout the year. I spend most of my time off in the trees trying to blaze my own trail and looking for the next jump.

d mills, I like to customize my sleds and find tinkering to be half the fun so once I buy one would like to stick with it for a few years but you make a good point that if after a season I think something else would suit me better just sell and buy close to straight across.

Any input about whether I should wait another month or 2 to buy?

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think from what I am reading the Assualt would be best suited for you. I jumped from a modded out 02' Edge to the pro chassis when it came out and LOVE it. You won't be disappointed with the Assualt. Camoplast will have avail a 3" 155" track this year if you go with an Assualt with the 155" you could easily put on the belt drive drop and get yourself a 3" track and you would be set perfect for your riding style. That way you wouldnt even have to worry about the 163" thing and would probibly be cheaper then seapping rails. As for your warranty questions from your earlier posts I wouldn't worry about it. Polaris only offers a 1yr bumper to bumper and anything after the 1 yr will only be a power train warranty. If it comes with warranty great its a bonus not a selling feature is how I look at it. I put on 2600 trouble free miles on my 11' pulled the head this summer and the pistons to my surprise were still mint. Proper fuel and proper oiling go a long way on these machines. As for an increase/decrease in sleds I would say most who are dumping their sleds have dumped already. You may get lucky and find a trade in come oct from a dealer that someone has traded but most dump at the end of the season or take a hit in te summer. You will see a bit of an increase come sept in te classifieds as well as a price increase. But if you find an Assualt i would be scooping it up. Good luck to you

looneyrod27

Reaction score
Give Four Seasons Powersports a call in Fort Mac. 7807910060. We have a demo 2012 Pro 800 163" Orange in color. You would prolly get a good deal on that one and warranty to boot as far as i know.

chrishew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info E-Zmoke. A 3" 155 would be a wheely monster in the deep. Your right that would suit my riding style to a tee. I won't have the moola for a track and belt drive this year but ride it for a season and maybe next. I've found a super low mile 2012 Assault that I'm gonna try and snag its got the comp track but a take off powder is only around $300 anyway.
Thanks again.

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This would be a way easier decision if it were prostitutes, just look for the one with the least amount of miles. Haha.

Yesterday I said 2012 Pro Rmk 163 final answer, now today I'm leaning back towards an Assault (even before I read your post Bnorth, thanks for the input). I'm always in search of the next huck or hit so why not have the best factory setup for it. I didn't think the Assault chassis was any different than the RMK. I thought the Assault just had a heavier stiffer track and remote resy shocks. Can someone else confirm that the chassis is beefed up as well, if that is the case that would probably seal the deal for an Assault. Been thinking again that I might just go 155 regardless cause I want to be able to control track washout for thight turns and I don't think I'm heavy enough to wash a 163. If I find the 155 isn't enough than $1000-1500 should fix that.

Little more about my riding style. I'm 28 been riding for 20 yrs flatland and mountains for 15. I weigh between 180-190# depending on munchy intake. I'm an aggresive rider that usually bounces off a few trees and takes a couple of tumbles throughout the year. I spend most of my time off in the trees trying to blaze my own trail and looking for the next jump.

d mills, I like to customize my sleds and find tinkering to be half the fun so once I buy one would like to stick with it for a few years but you make a good point that if after a season I think something else would suit me better just sell and buy close to straight across.

Any input about whether I should wait another month or 2 to buy?

Pretty much the same style, rider weight and experience here. I bought a freeride for the exact same reason. Its not that I'm a world class rider bombing 200 feet or anything. But I do like to shovel kickers when the snow calls for it and do lots of drops. I just like the thought of a sturdy sled that doesn't bend as easy especially in the boards. On deep pow days obviously there are times I wish I had a bigger foot print....but a 2.5 154 seems an alright balance. Like you said if it doesn't work out for ya you can always trade or modify. Cheers bud

Darrell D

Reaction score
Would you be interested in a 2010
Assault? I have a new snow check coming and have to sell my 2010. Its a great sled ,runs perfect , no issues, 1000 miles and warranty until 2015. I changed the track last year from the 146 to a 155 off of a 2012 pro. It also has a 3 inch riser, slp can, gas rack, shovel bag and scrachers. $8500.

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would you be interested in a 2010
Assault? I have a new snow check coming and have to sell my 2010. Its a great sled ,runs perfect , no issues, 1000 miles and warranty until 2015. I changed the track last year from the 146 to a 155 off of a 2012 pro. It also has a 3 inch riser, slp can, gas rack, shovel bag and scrachers. $8500.

$8500??? Little high...I dropped my 11' PRO for $8500 this summer with warranty. Have a look at what the black book price is on a 10' you might be suprized.

chrishew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry Darrel D I'm only interested in the pro chassis. I'm still looking around for an Assault. There are a couple for sale in BC but higher mileage than I'd like, one is only $8500 but 3900 miles. I'd like to buy a 2012 since the price difference is less than $1000. I know the 12's came with bosch brand injectors and upgraded motor mounts. Does anyone know if the Assault chassis is any different than the pro rmk?

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry Darrel D I'm only interested in the pro chassis. I'm still looking around for an Assault. There are a couple for sale in BC but higher mileage than I'd like, one is only $8500 but 3900 miles. I'd like to buy a 2012 since the price difference is less than $1000. I know the 12's came with bosch brand injectors and upgraded motor mounts. Does anyone know if the Assault chassis is any different than the pro rmk?

Nope same Chassis. No sure if the new 2013 assaults have all the lights weight parts such as carbon fibre, different A-arms as the pros though. All
Built on The same chassis though.

Top Bottom