What wouldn't you miss about working in the patch??

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not really a beef with anyone just a life time observation, and again why do ya have to come back to AB, to make a livin.

ya can live anywhere ya want, i really don't care. me the post asks what ya'd miss, and i have a lifetime of observations, but i'll leave the deep thoughts to you.
Read again...The post asks what you WOULDN'T MISS.....

fastdude

Reaction score
I wouldn't miss having to buy my way onto use lists!! Could you imagine how many more useless people would be around if everyone had to buy there way onto a use list before you could go to work. If anyone thinks theses lists make for safer people.....you better look agin! Willing capable and able to work and have to buy your way in?!?!?

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't miss trying to understand pain in the azz immigrant geologists and the stupid questions asked by a lazy mwd hand who couldn't be bothered to learn what goes on around the rig.

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I won't miss 22 yearold enviro grads that couldn't find their ass if they used both hands...just because you spent two years at Lakeland college plowing fat cowgirls, doesnt qualify you to organize a two man rush to a three door outhouse..

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's not only guys from out of province that are S*%tty workers. I've worked with alot of Albertans that could barely tie their shoes. I will be the first to admit that there is alot of people from B.C. that could not or would not work out here, but I do know alot of people from other provinces who are very good at their jobs. This bashing and stereotyping is B.S. It's no different than Albertans coming to B.C. bitching about the taxes and the road laws, does this give me the right to say F.U. go home you bunch of whiners. No it doesn't. I live in B.C. and work in Alberta because this is where the money is. Just like most people on this site live in Alberta and ride in B.C. I hope I don't offend anyone with my comments. Just my 2 cents.
your right, seems to be from all walks of life. some jobs suck allright, sometimes takes awhile to find a good fit.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shhh, don't tell em....

There's no money to be made in BC, move along folks.... :D
I don't think it's that there are no good paying jobs in BC, the ones that have them do not let go until they die....there is plenty of opportunity to make big money in the AB patch for skilled and unskilled labourers, conditions sometimes suck and the hours are crazy. but it's up to YOU to decide what you want and how to get it....people can bitch all they want, nobody wants to hear it.

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not gunna miss driving 20miles out of town, bouncing across 5 miles of pasture trail, circle a few bush's looking for deer. Getting to the cat and realizing I left the slip tank cap on the pump in town.. Box full of splashed diesel... Fk,!

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
And while you guys are online busy bitchin about work, tens of thousands of maritimers are out there gettin-R-done.... I'm not talking about the "work long enough to collect" maritimers I'm talking the guys who packed a suitcase headed west to build a life. I'm not into the stereotyping game but I have worked for a number of employers who looked specifically for easterners, but that doesn't always work because there are a lot of lazy maritimers, most in fact are too lazy to get off thier azz and head west EI is easier, some that do make it west can't hack it and end up going back. But I've met a lot of "Albertans" who feel it is thier right to get paid stupid amounts of money for limited effort and feel that guys like me are stealing jobs from "Albertans"...fawking losers, I'd be curious to know how many "Albertans" are 2nd or 3rd generation imports. After 16 years in Alberta, surveying(patch/pipeline) Industrial constuction (cooling towers on every plantsite from BC to Manitoba) safety (including 3 years living in Fort Newfoun....sorry McMurray) with 4 "Albertan" born children and an Albertan cowgirl for a wife...I'm proud to call Alberta, and more specifically Edmonton home...so you guys keep bitchin and us imports will make sure chit is gettin done....

Just sayin...

Oh yah what wouldn't I miss??????

nothin...

the best i ever heard was " give me all the overtime i can get" said on a friday morning, later that afternoon, this guy was asked to work the weekend. his response was " i have a life to live" he picked his paycheck and walking papers 20 minutes later, he was from another province i think, don't really know don't really care. worked for us for 5 days. must love his life on pogey.

or how about the guy who comes from another province and just keeps nattering about how good it is there, get the h-ll back there if it was so good.

not gonna miss the guy that had his grandma die for the tird time this month.

Last edited:

AprilO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Driving to rig sites in the dead of winter at 5am, sitting in a truck all day and having every "rig pig" come up to your truck thinking you wanna sleep with them! Ya, I was a medic on pipelines, service and drilling rigs. Ya get the best of the best out there! Not saying they're all bad, but the ones that are over power the good ones.

AprilO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With my profession, I cannot make any money in BC untl I've put in about 15 years. In AB I make a good living and I didn't have to do a 15 year stint in crappy small towns to get it. I'm originally from BC, love it and would love to have a cabin there or something, but as for living there, to me I think of it more now as a vacation spot.

funny, I think the exact thing about Alberta. As for making money in BC, not sure where that myth comes from either. Most of my friends who live here do very well. Anyway, I guess to each his own. :beer:

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Driving to rig sites in the dead of winter at 5am, sitting in a truck all day and having every "rig pig" come up to your truck thinking you wanna sleep with them! Ya, I was a medic on pipelines, service and drilling rigs. Ya get the best of the best out there! Not saying they're all bad, but the ones that are over power the good ones.

It's funny cause it's true

We were doing a job for apache south of caroline and there was one girl on site working for HSE and when she did orientation for everyone, all the drivers, equipment operators and supervisors were trying to hit on her.

AprilO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ugh, I know its horrible! Well flattering sometimes lol not gonna lie.

Had this one guy come up to my truck he said "your eyes are like pipe wrenches" I asked "what, why" he said "cause everytime I look into them, my nuts tighten!" really, like really I laughed my a$$ off, hilarious. I asked if that had ever worked on any girls!

Sad thing was that for whatever reason some of the guys were so distracted and always taking about me in the dog house etc, that the consultant saw me as a distraction (even though I did not associate with any of them or talk to anyone) so I lost a few rig jobs because of that and had to be moved to other rigs. I was in the patch for about a year and a half and near the end, consultants were asking for fat ugly medics or guys... BRUTAL! I have never been more discriminated against as I was in the patch. Who'da thunk that a blonde haired, blue eyed, short, young, white girl would feel discriminated against!

It's funny cause it's true

We were doing a job for apache south of caroline and there was one girl on site working for HSE and when she did orientation for everyone, all the drivers, equipment operators and supervisors were trying to hit on her.

AprilO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh and the other thing that I HATED was all the cheating, the husbands would cheat on their wives with what ever piece of meat they could find, they didn't care. and the girls who worked up there were just as bad. It was disgusting and I lost respect for men for a while after that. It happened more often then not, then someone would get pregnant and $hit would hit the fan etc. Or you'd be dating a guy who you thought was single, then one day his wife with four kids calls your cell and says what the hell you doin with my husband. It's like something outta Jerry Springer, I tell ya!

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh and the other thing that I HATED was all the cheating, the husbands would cheat on their wives with what ever piece of meat they could find, they didn't care. and the girls who worked up there were just as bad. It was disgusting and I lost respect for men for a while after that. It happened more often then not, then someone would get pregnant and $hit would hit the fan etc. Or you'd be dating a guy who you thought was single, then one day his wife with four kids calls your cell and says what the hell you doin with my husband. It's like something outta Jerry Springer, I tell ya!

Cheating has destroyed a oil company or two in alberta. Wife leaves and takes half of the company/

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
I would miss telling the customer "poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part"

I use the same line all the time also "It's not friggin pizza can't order it up and have it in 30 minutes ".....and "It says Kenworth on the front NOT Boeing"

Top Bottom