What wouldn't you miss about working in the patch??

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
And while you guys are online busy bitchin about work, tens of thousands of maritimers are out there gettin-R-done.... I'm not talking about the "work long enough to collect" maritimers I'm talking the guys who packed a suitcase headed west to build a life. I'm not into the stereotyping game but I have worked for a number of employers who looked specifically for easterners, but that doesn't always work because there are a lot of lazy maritimers, most in fact are too lazy to get off thier azz and head west EI is easier, some that do make it west can't hack it and end up going back. But I've met a lot of "Albertans" who feel it is thier right to get paid stupid amounts of money for limited effort and feel that guys like me are stealing jobs from "Albertans"...fawking losers, I'd be curious to know how many "Albertans" are 2nd or 3rd generation imports. After 16 years in Alberta, surveying(patch/pipeline) Industrial constuction (cooling towers on every plantsite from BC to Manitoba) safety (including 3 years living in Fort Newfoun....sorry McMurray) with 4 "Albertan" born children and an Albertan cowgirl for a wife...I'm proud to call Alberta, and more specifically Edmonton home...so you guys keep bitchin and us imports will make sure chit is gettin done....

Just sayin...

Oh yah what wouldn't I miss??????

nothin...

Yup I have had a lot of hard workin do anything want every piece of OT they can get there hands on but usually after about 9-10 months or 6 figures they get home sick and head back.

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I won't miss being away from family!...thats the hardest thing about this business.

Last edited:

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't miss being away from family!...thats the hardest thing about this business.
totally agree, but after so long its all you know and all they know, coming home is sometimes akward its like you are away on tour like the military, typing this as i sit in a motel room in dreadful valley, here till xmas.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't miss the Alberta whinners complaining about how you can't make money in BC. With the exception of working over sea's ive spent the majority of my time on the good side of the line.

I wouldn't miss the entitlement babies,

I do miss the time when someone had you do a job that you signed up for and you just did it because thats what your paid to do. I still miss those days and can't wait for another good ressesion to get some quality hands back that don't bitch and moan because they were asked to shovel snow on a cold day. I look forward to the day when the worker need us again. The top 7% wage earners in canada make over 120k a year and bet many of them are writting in this thread complaining about getting paid the highest in the country. Get yourself in check and collect bottles if you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen.

Just sayin...... why bite the hand that feeds you

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
totally agree, but after so long its all you know and all they know, coming home is sometimes akward its like you are away on tour like the military, typing this as i sit in a motel room in dreadful valley, here till xmas.

its true u bet, my eldest son is now 19 and followed my foot steps unfortunately BUT 9k clear a mth at 19yrs of age is hard to say no to. When he was young id get hm anywhere from 1-3 mths of being gone and he'd lose it if I tried to pick him up....killed me when it'd happen!!!!

But I agree, its almost odd coming hm aft that long, its like getting to know your spouse all over again :/ been 21 yrs in the patch for me and 21 yrs with my wife, so she knows the score :)

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
The wax.... I absolutely hated the wax working on service rigs. i would definitely try working on a drilling rig! Or even seismic.

There's not much i wouldn't miss. Getting $4,000 clear every two weeks, and having a hotel paid for and meals. Then if you're not anywhere like that, $150 a day sub is just as much as i make working at road construction.

Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At 42 and after 15 years in manufacturing and the last 5 with my own renovation company it looks like I will be heading to Fort Mac after Xmas. I have no idea what to expect but I do know how to work and am willing to start over. Also hoping it may save a marriage in the process. Sure am going to miss being at every one of the boys hockey games though. Hoping it's for the best.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Never heard of FtMac saving a marriage....

At 42 and after 15 years in manufacturing and the last 5 with my own renovation company it looks like I will be heading to Fort Mac after Xmas. I have no idea what to expect but I do know how to work and am willing to start over. Also hoping it may save a marriage in the process. Sure am going to miss being at every one of the boys hockey games though. Hoping it's for the best.

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when I used to work on a service rig, I wont miss working 42 days with out a day off..... and having a car payment of $800 a month, and not have the time to enjoy it......you could not pay me enough to live in alberta......I love the mountains, lakes.......when I sit on my deck next to the lake.....alberta just doesnt have that!

did any of that patch money happen to contribute to that nice house by the lake? :p

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't miss the Alberta whinners complaining about how you can't make money in BC. With the exception of working over sea's ive spent the majority of my time on the good side of the line.

I wouldn't miss the entitlement babies,

I do miss the time when someone had you do a job that you signed up for and you just did it because thats what your paid to do. I still miss those days and can't wait for another good ressesion to get some quality hands back that don't bitch and moan because they were asked to shovel snow on a cold day. I look forward to the day when the worker need us again. The top 7% wage earners in canada make over 120k a year and bet many of them are writting in this thread complaining about getting paid the highest in the country. Get yourself in check and collect bottles if you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen.

Just sayin...... why bite the hand that feeds you

The only ppl who whine in AB are the ones that arent actually/originally from AB, its the whiny whimps from other Provinces and Countries who come here to AB and pout about the weather, snow, roads, etc etc whaaa whaaa whaaa :/

PS: NO where else can compare to the money of the Oil Patch trust me I've tried all angles

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe it's called getting out before she throws me out. Haha. Worst case I'll make enough to be able to afford the divorce.

i doubt it you will just end up giving her more. j/k
my cousin moved up there whenhe got married , wife was from there, immigrated newfies. or close to i think it was actually new bruns2wick but whos keeping record its east of lloydminster its a newfie. been there 10yrs now should be set to retire in another 5-10 he figures. i guess not bad if you can retire before 50.

back to the thread point what wouldn't i miss, ya the hrs like most have said, we got married oct 4, 2001 took 2 weeks for vacation after on the 18th boss is calling when yopu going to be home, 19th left the house at 3:00 am finally came home again a week later. was home for three hrs and left had 0 days off till christmas eve, went back to work 27th worked straight through till i went to school for my first year hd at the end of march. money was great but time at home was nil.
other than the hrs i loved the patch something new every day, i was driving truck so every day was a new office view, if i didn't have a wife and kids would probably still be doin it.

Free Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only ppl who whine in AB are the ones that arent actually/originally from AB, its the whiny whimps from other Provinces and Countries who come here to AB and pout about the weather, snow, roads, etc etc whaaa whaaa whaaa :/

PS: NO where else can compare to the money of the Oil Patch trust me I've tried all angles

Yeah, Albertans don't whine about anything. Have you taken a look at the thread about the cops in Valemont? No suckhole whiners from Alberta posting in that thread. Gimme a fawking break. I will agree with you that there is nowhere else that can come close to the money than Alberta. On the other hand, there is nowhere else that can compare to living in B.C. There is alot of Albertans that seem to like coming here to the mountains and the lakes. It's kind of a double standard to bitch about other provinces and then go on vacations there.

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Albertans don't whine about anything. Have you taken a look at the thread about the cops in Valemont? No suckhole whiners from Alberta posting in that thread. Gimme a fawking break. I will agree with you that there is nowhere else that can come close to the money than Alberta. On the other hand, there is nowhere else that can compare to living in B.C. There is alot of Albertans that seem to like coming here to the mountains and the lakes. It's kind of a double standard to bitch about other provinces and then go on vacations there.

Oh I agree 100%, Ab SUCKS to live in. I LOVE BC and is why I now reside here, Ab kept me only for the moola and THATS IT lol

Top Bottom