What wouldn't you miss about working in the patch??

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What I don't miss is the 'absolutely everything is an emergency' attitude. Get a call (usually at the end of the day on Friday) that something doesn't work. It hasn't worked for several days but it has to be fixed tonight. Too many stupid people that should be pumping gas or slinging coffee at Timmy's in positions of authority in the industry.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't miss all the bitching and whining from people that don't wanna work Friday nights cause they think someone else owes them a living....EL OH EL !!!!
Or they have worked all week and want a life.......Poor planning on your part.....et cetera et cetera....

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
I wouldn't miss all the bitching and whining from people that don't wanna work Friday nights cause they think someone else owes them a living....EL OH EL !!!!

Hey nother guy like me thats hates Fridays....I frigging hate Fridays everyone always whining.....I love Mondays everyone back refreshed smiling faces wanting to work and make money

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is no Friday or Monday or Christmas or birthday or New Years, etc in the oil patch. This is the price you pay to be paid the wages you are paid. The next generation "entitlement babies" need to learn this or go work at Wal Mart. I wouldn't miss dealing with these types. Give me an Alberta-raised guy with some grey hair any day to do the job.

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I left the oil patch 6 yrs ago. Waking up at 5 am being gone from home 13.5-14 hrs a day while getting paid for 10 and doing this for 18-24 days straight with only 3-4 days off in between. The bus ride from dirt Mac north to and fro Work was hell 7/11 lunches hell having a lonely wife and kid at home hell. Pay cheques awesome meeting all walks of life awesome. Work was good but all in all it beats you up

Team Pigeon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would miss telling the customer "poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part" haha laughing and watching the steam come out of the ears.

I wouldn't miss all the inbred micro-managing bag licker know it alls yelling at me to use a bigger hammer and every third word is f-bomb c-bomb hahahahaha wouldn't miss that at all. Then I refer back to part one and I'm smiling again

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we are here to work when there is work, time off is for playin. and alberta boys love there toys. it is not for everyone, although it does weed out those that don't belong or are not man enough to want to work and get paid for it. those that don't seem to love ui and welfare, and sing the woe is me theme song, and like driving multi coloured vehicles. anyway i can't see going anywhere else to live. can't stand poverty.

FTBeaver

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't miss the guys that figure they can just take days off whenever they want by just not showing up to work. And things being crazy busy so you have to keep those guys around because you can't find replacements.
299538_276934595673651_273879369312507_880136_1458434851_n.jpg

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the best i ever heard was " give me all the overtime i can get" said on a friday morning, later that afternoon, this guy was asked to work the weekend. his response was " i have a life to live" he picked his paycheck and walking papers 20 minutes later, he was from another province i think, don't really know don't really care. worked for us for 5 days. must love his life on pogey.

or how about the guy who comes from another province and just keeps nattering about how good it is there, get the h-ll back there if it was so good.

not gonna miss the guy that had his grandma die for the tird time this month.

Last edited:

Free Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the best i ever heard was " give me all the overtime i can get" said on a friday morning, later that afternoon, this guy was asked to work the weekend. his response was " i have a life to live" he picked his paycheck and walking papers 20 minutes later, he was from BC i think, don't really know don't reaqly care worked for us for 5 days. must love his life on pogey.

or how about the guy who comes from another province and just keeps nattering about how good it is there, get the h-ll back there if it was so good.

It's not only guys from out of province that are S*%tty workers. I've worked with alot of Albertans that could barely tie their shoes. I will be the first to admit that there is alot of people from B.C. that could not or would not work out here, but I do know alot of people from other provinces who are very good at their jobs. This bashing and stereotyping is B.S. It's no different than Albertans coming to B.C. bitching about the taxes and the road laws, does this give me the right to say F.U. go home you bunch of whiners. No it doesn't. I live in B.C. and work in Alberta because this is where the money is. Just like most people on this site live in Alberta and ride in B.C. I hope I don't offend anyone with my comments. Just my 2 cents.

08summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is no Friday or Monday or Christmas or birthday or New Years, etc in the oil patch. This is the price you pay to be paid the wages you are paid. The next generation "entitlement babies" need to learn this or go work at Wal Mart. I wouldn't miss dealing with these types. Give me an Alberta-raised guy with some grey hair any day to do the job.

I agree with the first part of your post but got to say after 20+ yrs of working in the patch there are just as many lazy good for nothing grey haired Alberta raised hands as there are from anywhere else. The patch is full of people from the far end of the east coast to Vancouver island with good and bad hands from everywhere in between...Being from Alberta and having grey hair doesn't make you a hard worker by no means. I have had my share of lazy people that come from every race and every region...just my 2 cents.

hcr ditch banger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Love working in the patch just started on year #19 an there will be alot more to come . some days are sh***ty but most days are ok just get moved fast an rig up fast an let the rest just happen make sure to rop is cranked on bust all the time an don't hurt anyone . If they are winers just get rid of them leagally no sense in trying to make hands off them if they don't want to be it doesn't matter wear they are from. just wear they want to go. I will leave the patch when i cant make it up the 36 steps to the doghouse. Xmas an b days are in the spring that's if you even get a break up . had 8 weeks off since Jan 1st been a good year.

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the best i ever heard was " give me all the overtime i can get" said on a friday morning, later that afternoon, this guy was asked to work the weekend. his response was " i have a life to live" he picked his paycheck and walking papers 20 minutes later, he was from BC i think, don't really know don't reaqly care worked for us for 5 days. must love his life on pogey.or how about the guy who comes from another province and just keeps nattering about how good it is there, get the h-ll back there if it was so good.
by the sounds of ur posts ya got beef with bc peeps workin in "your" province? Gimme a break. Im born raised in fort crack,,, whats basically runninig this countries economy, buuut i ran from living in alberta, in reality not much to offer but work. So i go back to work there and i live in paradise. For u few that say outta province people cant or wont or are shatty workers is ridiculous,,,, i know a TON of alberta peeps that cant keep or work a job for the life of them aaaand if anybody feels entitled to making big bucks and r no more than glorified gas jockies or such in the patch it is most def the home grown spoiled albertans.... And i i can say this is fact from seeing it first hand half my life. It is usually the outta province guys that want to and will work hard because they realize that it is a ridiculous opportunity and not a god given born right to make an awesome living with minimal education. So i know its hard for u imdouchn but try and think before throwing out ur nonsense.

linksys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
by the sounds of ur posts ya got beef with bc peeps workin in "your" province? Gimme a break. Im born raised in fort crack,,, whats basically runninig this countries economy, buuut i ran from living in alberta, in reality not much to offer but work. So i go back to work there and i live in paradise. For u few that say outta province people cant or wont or are shatty workers is ridiculous,,,, i know a TON of alberta peeps that cant keep or work a job for the life of them aaaand if anybody feels entitled to making big bucks and r no more than glorified gas jockies or such in the patch it is most def the home grown spoiled albertans.... And i i can say this is fact from seeing it first hand half my life. It is usually the outta province guys that want to and will work hard because they realize that it is a ridiculous opportunity and not a god given born right to make an awesome living with minimal education. So i know its hard for u imdouchn but try and think before throwing out ur nonsense.

oww...thats harsh!!!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not really a beef with anyone just a life time observation, and again why do ya have to come back to AB, to make a livin.

ya can live anywhere ya want, i really don't care. me the post asks what ya'd miss, and i have a lifetime of observations, but i'll leave the deep thoughts to you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom