What was THE sled to have when you started mountain riding?

jjack

Banned
Reaction score
wow do I ever feel old now,my first sled was a 440 Everest and that was about the biggest motor there was

thump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First sled trip to Valemount in 1987 was a 1986 Phazer with electric start! Hit a stump at the end of the year cutting the track so that summer I longtracked it to a whopping 133 X 1 1/4 ! Man, I was going places!

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wow do I ever feel old now,my first sled was a 440 Everest and that was about the biggest motor there was

My first "mountain sled" was a 1976 Ski Doo Everest. Those things with the long track were huge compared to the other sleds of the time.

LMAO - I'm like you 2 guys. First "mountain" sled was a 1978 Everest. A 440 back then was like strapping yourself to an ICBM, "Why do you need so much power?" LOL
We used to tunnel them up, drop the skids, tracks backwards, no hoods and run av gas because they used to vapour lock up anytime the sun came it out seemed. Mechanical brakes meant throw a belt over the skis or you were doing mach chicken at the bottom of big hills. When the 500's came out, we started putting the 500 cylinders on the 440 bottom ends, that was a 1980's "Big Bore" kit! LOL Gotta admit, the guys talking jetting, we never had that with the old Doos and those Tillotson carbs, crank the "high speed" screw in and keep going, basically it was the "thunderjet/powerjet" of the day. Way easier than what other guys had to deal with taking the carbs apart.

Until the Summits came out, everything mountain was "custom". 1993 Storm, god dang heavy tank, holy crap was that thing good in a straight line for 500 ft, don't try and turn it though.

The first real sled I ever "had" to have off the showroom floor was the 1995 Summit 670. That was a good sled. I put a lot of miles on that 136" long track. First stock sled to ever make it over Jackson Hole. 20 years since the Summit line was introduced...... Fawk I'm getting old!

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

LMAO - I'm like you 2 guys. First "mountain" sled was a 1978 Everest. A 440 back then was like strapping yourself to an ICBM, "Why do you need so much power?" LOL
We used to tunnel them up, drop the skids, tracks backwards, no hoods and run av gas because they used to vapour lock up anytime the sun came it out seemed. Mechanical brakes meant throw a belt over the skis or you were doing mach chicken at the bottom of big hills. When the 500's came out, we started putting the 500 cylinders on the 440 bottom ends, that was a 1980's "Big Bore" kit! LOL Gotta admit, the guys talking jetting, we never had that with the old Doos and those Tillotson carbs, crank the "high speed" screw in and keep going, basically it was the "thunderjet/powerjet" of the day. Way easier than what other guys had to deal with taking the carbs apart.

Until the Summits came out, everything mountain was "custom". 1993 Storm, god dang heavy tank, holy crap was that thing good in a straight line for 500 ft, don't try and turn it though.

The first real sled I ever "had" to have off the showroom floor was the 1995 Summit 670. That was a good sled. I put a lot of miles on that 136" long track. First stock sled to ever make it over Jackson Hole. 20 years since the Summit line was introduced...... Fawk I'm getting old!
I think it was Mark Thompson on a 96' 670. And I appear to be as old as you Modman> Lol

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if my memory is right I had a 1980 Blizzard 9500+ chopped tunnel with a Everest track and skid under it bought it from Buck Lake Bob

I think the attack angle was wrong on it never did get up or stay up on the snow ........... LMAO those were the days

meatbag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Beach Corner-Just follow the tracks from the liquo
I remember, being a little kid getting a ride with my dad on a late 60's Skidoo Alpine twin track, single ski sled. !st ride and wipeout in the same day.
The guys in the bike shop always had Mach 1's and Plus's with bolt on paddles. The stiff throttle was/is as hard as the later 670 Summit.
Later had a 136"/1.5" Phazer, hence the stuck picture...
Mountain Cat 700 with 2/141

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• IMG_0365.jpg
    IMG_0365.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 225

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First trip on my mountain sled was 1997 and I had the sweetest sled ever lol! It was a 1993 MXZ 470 stretched to a136,1 3/4" track. It had a shaved head ported and k&n filters. I thought it was crazy! I had to jet it like 4or 5 times a day lol.

Go-Vertical

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a good old wedge! 1990 Indy 500 psi port job with twin pipes. 136x1.5" it screamed good at 8700 rpm. Laid a licken on most new 670 and mm 700. This was in 96'

Starting to sound like lhf. Sorry!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
'93 XLT "lightweight" (hahaha) with a PSI 680 Triple and a 1 3/4" 136 was the one to beat in our group back then. Nothing sounded quite like a nicely running triple!

geo

Reaction score
Stock or modded? First stock sled to break into the "bowls" was the twin track single ski Alpines and they pulled everything else out that tried to follow.

First stock sled to introduce the mountains to the masses (because they were the first trouble free sleds) was the Phazer LT followed by the Exciter ST's.

79TXL

Reaction score
93 XLT Special, had them put the 133.5 on it at dealer before I picked it up. Buddies had exciters, Mach 1's......while we were stuck digging them all out my buddy had a Indy Trail Supertrack, he would drive around us laughing. I can't remember how long the track was on that thing, but it sure went through the snow. Worst sled in snow I've owned is my 9500 Blizzard, That sucker sinks like a tank.

Play more

Reaction score
1990 Indy 500 first 'long tracked sled' with the old plastic paddles actually went pretty good back then!!

fidorama

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.geocaching.com
My first mountain trip was with my 93 wildcat 700 efi... sporting some fresly installed 1 1/4" plastic paddles.... oh man I hated those paddles! skated my ass end around something fierce! On one ride out with a few buds we were shooting across a lake at perty high speed when I guess a paddle let go blowing my track apart! piece of it flew over 1 of the guys heads behind me. thankfully one edge of the track from the cogs to the edge held together and I was able to limp it slowly back to the truck. Beat the heat exchangers up some, but in the end all I needed was a new track. never used paddles again

ACP

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sweet, the first sled I rode was a moto ski back in I think 74 rode twenty feet got stuck and then didnt ride again till 95 never stopped since. thanks

Top Bottom