To those who have given up mountain riding?

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hear yha rmk,,, the ohv with tracks won't do what the sleds will,,, and there ain't much rush unless your sliding down a icey hill out of contol...

It real depends on the person,,, what intrests and values are each of us willing to pay for,,, with in reason,,, this goes with everything... ohv's with tracks aren't free running in costs,,, they need maintenance to...

The trick is to tap it Kool,,, slow things down and take on other things that make them worth running... hunting,,, fishing,,, camping,,, archery,,, shooting sports,,, and day to day farm chours...

It also depends on where a person lives,,, The heart land of looooooots of snow is not the place for ohv tracks,,, mid to low pack areas is where they shine...

My unit is fairly small and lite weight,,, so it covers alot of ground...
https://photos.app.goo.gl/PhBTAvnQYe8bQecDA

We live 4 to 7 hours from the BC sled areas,,, 2 half day drives,,, $68 per night hotel,,, $20 to $30 for food,,, $7 to $10 for trail pass,,, along with truck fuel to and from along with a few sprits,,,, Ha... $8 to $1000 ish for 3 to 4 day stints... That was 10 ish years ago... costs are much higher than that now...

Now those funds feed my simple out west trips at way less than that...

No hotels,,, no 4 to 7 hr oneway drives,,, and restaurants... trail fees,,, and the cost of lodging now days...

Buggy with tracks in the box of my truck,,, cooler of food,,, back seat bed,,, very little fuel,,, and as many days as I choose,,, plus I'm close to work if something comes up...

Again,,, it really depends on the W-5's in life,,, right now its urban mountain bike time,,, preping for bear season,,, scouting,,,, lawn chair time relaxing at big bon-fires in the middle of the road... LOL

The older I get the more I enjoy the slow things in life,,, thats what counts in my books... Free crown lands saves me funds,,, being off grid is the best...

Not that I don't like humans,,, I find it wize to not spend to much time around them...

Just me since I practic doing my own thing at my pace...

Cheers from Lem

Last edited:

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Two years ago I got vertigo bad for some reason not sure what caused it but made sledding difficult made everything off kilter made the truck driving through the mountains difficult still have small boughts but getting over it

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Two years ago I got vertigo bad for some reason not sure what caused it but made sledding difficult made everything off kilter made the truck driving through the mountains difficult still have small boughts but getting over it

Know what that is like.
Got it real bad in 2009.
Could not walk for about 3 weeks without falling over or not missing the door opening and hitting the wall.
Really messed me up for over a year.
Off work for 2 months.
Comes and goes for me also but pretty minor.....free drunk.
There are head tilt exercises that help as well as ways doctor can do head tilt/jar to help.
I focus at things far away to help some times.
I ride without glasses in the mountains, find it better when things a bit fuzzy.

Last edited:

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Totally understand where you are coming from. I haven't been sledding in the mountains for about 5 years. There were a few reasons, one it was starting to become a time issue, the avalanche deaths that where occurring started to eat at me (yes I had all the training) but when you have a season where slides where occurring in areas that historically never had a slide, that was when I started to rethink what I was doing out there and the expense aspect was starting to get out of hand. Now I mostly sled the Alberta foothills, Catarack Creek, Bearberry, Bergen, Caroline/Rocky areas and I am trying to do more poker rallies (love those things). Now it is the fun factor, getting out with friends, taking your time, stop make a fire have a weeny roast and make sure you have some young ones with you to show them how fun sledding can be.

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

sister has been going through this for years, sometimes very severe, she has pegged this down to gluten, she has been eating gluten free for about a year and has not had a bout since.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For some there is no choice. If you have been truly bitten by the passion you will have to go sledding. If you don't, you will become a very ugly person. My wife understands this and my eldest son loves mountain sledding too. I realize it is a selfish sport and expensive and dangerous but I just can't stop the sledding drug. That said if you can stop then you should. But for those who can't stop, be very careful and be very clear to those around you that if you die sledding, you went doing what you love.

Big A

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I understand the reasons that guys quit and I also understand that sledding around home has its place and can be fun, especially with the fam, but when I'm out west and break into a new Zone where there's no tracks, lord knows if there's ever been a human there before, and the boys work there way up that hill or through those trees and see what I'm looking at, in that moment, there is nothing else on this earth that can replace that feeling, then we destroy all snow and carry on lol. Point is, it's a risk vs reward scenario, and in my life I've lost so many people to vehicle accidents, random diseases and suicide, that the dangers of snowmobiling are far outweighed by the rewards. If you're not living life the way you want to live it it will disappear very quickly. I know it's tough losing guys like Rob, he was a legend and someone that I had immense respect for but if you are one to use the " if it happens to a guy like that it's way to dangerous for me " mentality, you'll find that everything in life has consequences and danger is everywhere. Don't get trapped in your own bubble.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I stopped riding a few years ago just before my 1st kid was born, rode the mountains "part time" for 15 years and sledding was my passion, thought I would never stop. I made the tough decision as I just didn't feel okay with missing out on so much time of the kids early years. The road conditions are what made me switch as I have to drive 3hrs to riding areas and there were many sketchy scenarios on the drive out. The avy risks never worried me as mostly I can control my exposure whereas on the highways you are sometimes at the mercy of others.

From what you have said I would say take a year off and see how it goes. You are already down to 1-2 trips per year. I took my bike license and bought a dirtbike to kick off a new hobby that is somewhat similar to sledding and a new challenge. I honestly don't miss sledding like I thought I would, I can get the adrenaline pumping pretty good riding the dirtbike in the foothillls and it's nice being able to ride 30mins from my house so I do alot more half day trips.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My wife and I quit riding sleds in the mountains a few years ago 2015 was our last year. It was a tough decision to do so. We both loved going. But for us and mostly me it was the hassle getting to the mountains. My work didn’t allow me to take many days off, so I would travel Friday after work. It was a long day to work then drive 5-6 hours. Then sled for a day and half then drive home. The cost of it became an issue also, wasn’t cheap for the 2 of us to ride the weekend. And the cost of new sleds is getting out of hand. You take such a hit on resale it’s not even funny. We bought a jet boat and decided that was more for us. It was cheaper to do and I can be on the water in some nice river boating in 20min from my house. And in 5 years my $40000 river boat will be worth pretty much that. Do I miss riding in the mountains? You bet I do!! Nothing beats being up there on a blue bird day with fresh powder! But I don’t miss getting there. This year I thought I would get a new sled for the up coming year. But then my uncle was killed in an avalanche. Seeing what that does to the people that loved him helped me decide not to get one. I always thought if I was killed in an avalanche oh well I knew the risks before I went. But it’s the people that it effects that I didn’t consider. I know a guy can get killed doing anything, but for me as of now it’s not worth it.

Quicksand

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love mountain riding I really do, when I'm out there there's nothing else that matters, but man it's a lot of sacrifice for a few days a year

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was working out of town a fair bit and didn't want to give up the time I did have off for mountain sledding so pulled the pin. Still do lots of snowmobiling right from home with my son now, tons of fun without the drive....

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this thread is a interesting read... and ill throw my opinion/experience into it.

I am 36 and my daughter is 5 now. been riding the mountains for +20years. This year shes been up to Gorman 2 times, hospital 2 times, zippermouth 1, and silent pass. I hope to get her out 2 more rides this year.

have I slowed down, well yes, sorta. I used to average 2500-3500km a year. now its 1800-2200km. do I still pull big hills, jump my sled, go on massive snow days, cut high risk lines... Yup. do I worry about not coming back, nope. This mindset while riding I belive will get you into more trouble.

don't let fear run your life. don't let kids run your life. everyone needs there own time, kids or no kids.

your kids are important btut giving up on your hobbies doesn't really set a good example when you are passionate about something

Last edited:

Quicksand

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this thread is a interesting read... and ill throw my opinion/experience into it.

I am 36 and my daughter is 5 now. been riding the mountains for +20years. This year shes been up to Gorman 2 times, hospital 2 times, zippermouth 1, and silent pass. I hope to get her out 2 more rides this year.

have I slowed down, well yes, sorta. I used to average 2500-3500km a year. now its 1800-2200km. do I still pull big hills, jump my sled, go on massive snow days, cut high risk lines... Yup. do I worry about not coming back, nope. This mindset while riding I belive will get you into more trouble.

don't let fear run your life. don't let kids run your life. everyone needs there own time, kids or no kids.

your kids are important btut giving up on your hobbies doesn't really set a good example when you are passionate about something

Do you fear exposing your kid to the risk associated to mountain riding, not only when they're riding with you but when they're eventually on their own sled, knowing fully that if something happened, the reason they were at that spot falls on your shoulders?

That's the question I struggle with every time I bring my kid with me

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I started 18 years ago when the kids where 8 and 10. Been the best time of my life with my kids and the scariest of times when you are waiting for them to come back after they venture off. I only ride with my son and one other young guy how's become a good friend. The biggest worry I had is to have someone my son can ride with that I can totally trust when I have to quite. I get pushed by the young kids alot to ride harder and longer and they do put me into alot of scetchy places which gets the heart ticking,but what a rush some days. But some days I can only ride so long so I have them take to the trail and I ride down by myself and I NEVER venture off. We ride alot roughly 30 to 40 days a year and sometimes we ride with other groups when it's just my son and me. We have run into a great group of peaple over the years who do listen but you do get the od groups of idiots, that we won't ride with again. we have had several groups recontact us the next time they are in the area to ride with us again.But back to your question should you keep on riding that's up to you but I don't have one regrett in riding in the mountains with my kids one bit, we have alot of great momorys and it doesn't matter if your up their or you let your kids go to the playground by themslef you will always worry. The best thing ive done is I ride with my son always and we have other peaple join us and I have had other guys say that they dan"t like kids around but the thing is by the time my son was 14 he was riding better than most of the guys I road with and now they have stopped riding and my son still likes to ride with his dad.LUCKY ME. I'm turning 63 this year and I'm hoping to be riding when Im 83 with my son.

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have 2 daughters now and I think about them every time I go sledding. Its my responsibility that Daddy comes home.. It has most certainly made me take less risks and think more then ever about the terrain I'm riding in. But, this is time I need to decompress, get away from everything and refresh. There is nothing better then being on top of the world...

This might not be the best way to look at it, but, I drive all over Alberta and statistically I have a better chance dying in a car accident... but that doesn't stop me from working. Im at piece with when its my time to go its my time..

If we constantly live life in fear of death then death has already won... we only get this life once... live it.

With the recent passing of Rob Kincaid, as horrible as it is, that guy lived his life. 47 is way too young to die... but like his son said, his passion for life was contagious to everyone he was around. His death would have been just as tragic if it was a car accident or a farm accident, those happen everyday across the country.

Thats my 2 cents.

Do you want to seclude yourself and live to 65 and die of cancer... I don't.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
I have been sledding 20years now and started riding with my wife. We still ride and have tailored our life to make it possible. We have 2 kids now. A boy who just turned 11 and a girl who is 7. Both kids have started on 120’s and now have moved up. My boy is in his second season on an 06 rev 800 and my daughters on a 250bravo. I’m hoping to move her to the 500 summit my boy started on to come up the mountain for next winter. We have so much fun as a family and the area we ride with the kids is by far the safest and funnest place you could imagine. My boy rides better than most guys I have crossed paths with in the hills and is so stoked on sledding. He just learned a valuable lesson last Saturday about flat light and creek drainages. Got spanked pretty hard but hasn’t hampered his sprits. He learned what he did that was dumb and is excited as ever to get out and rip. These pictures are from last Saturday. We found a buried trappers cabin and dig down into it to explore and he gets to ride with my buddies son who is 12. They have a bond from sledding that will last a lifetime. I will never give this up. It sucks to see your kid get hurt but man the crap I broke over the years I know he will be fine. Cheers and keep ripping. Kids grow up and if you don’t stop doing the things you love you can slow down your growing up.

BAB0A13A-C824-489F-8D4A-76224D215E6E.jpeg
D7919931-7F3D-4884-8C2D-85CBED3D4A04.jpeg
BD1A43B1-5288-4C1A-BE5B-BA7243F352E7.jpeg
29C03D9B-F978-409B-BA7C-72131A463847.jpeg

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you fear exposing your kid to the risk associated to mountain riding, not only when they're riding with you but when they're eventually on their own sled, knowing fully that if something happened, the reason they were at that spot falls on your shoulders?

That's the question I struggle with every time I bring my kid with me

nope, she wears a beacon just like the rest of us. I am equipped trained, and have experienced a dig and being hurried before. That said there are many other risks other than avalanches in this sport. It’s like doing a field level hazard assessment in the work place, know the risks/hazards, address them, manage them.

in my world... if I don’t teach her, some dummy from snow and mud will and she could be at far greater risks, maybe not. It would be my neglect and fault in letting that happen and that’s far worse in my world.

this is no different than one teaching there kid to ride dirt bikes, atvs, water ski, ride a seadoo. Hell even in hockey you need to teach your kid how to take a hit or fall. Lots of kids in martial arts as well in which they could get severely hurt as well. OR the worst one in my opinion teaching them to drive, anyone can get hit in a vehicle.

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
nope, she wears a beacon just like the rest of us. I am equipped trained, and have experienced a dig and being hurried before. That said there are many other risks other than avalanches in this sport. It’s like doing a field level hazard assessment in the work place, know the risks/hazards, address them, manage them.

in my world... if I don’t teach her, some dummy from snow and mud will and she could be at far greater risks, maybe not. It would be my neglect and fault in letting that happen and that’s far worse in my world.

this is no different than one teaching there kid to ride dirt bikes, atvs, water ski, ride a seadoo. Hell even in hockey you need to teach your kid how to take a hit or fall. Lots of kids in martial arts as well in which they could get severely hurt as well. OR the worst one in my opinion teaching them to drive, anyone can get hit in a vehicle.

do you even ride Bro? :rolleyes:

i have seen her face and her excitement and luckily for me her and i are buddies. She is in good hands and will learn from a great group! i cant believe you took her up zipper mouth! lucky little lady. maybe her buddy can take on the street glide this summer, she was warming up last year.

Quicksand

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

That's a good way to look at it, teach them what we know and hope we know enough

Obviously there's inherent risk in everything we do, I'll never be one to sit in a bubble of safety and be happy in life, I just hope to make the right choices in the adventurous things we do to keep my family safe.

Top Bottom