What to Buy?

Darrell D

Reaction score
I'm looking at a 2010 Polaris Assualt or a 2010 Skidoo Backcountry 800. Just got back into sleding last year and would be riding mostly west of Edmonton but would like to try out the mountains. Also am not really interested in riding trails. The Assault seems like it may be to much sled and may have engine issues? The Backcountry sounds like it would suit most of my riding but might come up short in the mountians? I would really appreciate some feedback.

grnboyz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site!!!:wavymsn:
Put your feet up and stay awhile:av-31:
I have always bought Skidoo myself but have always tried everyone elses machines also through my friends that have other brands. They are all good and unique in their own ways.
Buy the machine that's right for you and for what you'll want to do with it regardless of the brand. The brand is just a personal preferance.
What I mean is, if you are always in the mountains and prefer skidoo, then it would be in your best interests to buy a mountain machine or the Summit, if you are an aggressive rider and always riding trails, then buy a MXZ or Renegade. Buy for what you are generally going to ride for. The Backcountry Renegade is a fast aggressive machine that will do fine in the mountains for occasiosnal trips, even with the shorter track and paddles. All is this means is that you will have to hit everything hard or get the speed at the bottom to use the momentum, because even though you don't have the length of track of the Summit and that they both have the same engine, you will have to use your speed or work to get you places.
Before I bought my 08 Summit X, all I used in the mountains was my Renegade, and to get anywhere my buddies went with the longer tracks I would have to hit everything hard and work to get to the same heights that they went to. I couldn't just coast over the deep snow hills like they could. I was stuck 80% more than them, but I am the rider I am today to having to work the machine over alot of those hills.

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 2010 backcountry unfortunately i only put 10 miles on it and had to park it for the season but what wicked ride very impressed i normally ride
a 800 mxz great sled and will keep buy BRP { if its not a doo it just won't do}
lol

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you wouldn't regret buying a Summit XP 146" probably the best all round machine. you can mess around in the trees, jump at will and still climb in the mountains. IMHO

Darrell D

Reaction score
Do you ride your Assault mainly in the mountains? I wonder what it would by like just ripping around areas like Edson etc?

Darrell D

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback, still undecided. I agree thet are both great sleds and I can get either for a great price. Really i was just going to keep riding the sled a bought last year, a 2006 crossfire 700. But the pricing on these two sleds has advanced my plans by a year.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you wouldn't regret buying a Summit XP 146" probably the best all round machine. you can mess around in the trees, jump at will and still climb in the mountains. IMHO

this is the truth. your going to be dissapointed with the backcountry first trip to the mountains. but it will still be fine on the lakes and trails

EMANAARON

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this is the truth. your going to be dissapointed with the backcountry first trip to the mountains. but it will still be fine on the lakes and trails

yes summit 146 forsure if you plan on going to the mountains at all.Although i myself have a 09 renegade with a 141x15x2.25 track and it climbs unreal for the size of track outclimbed my buddys dragon 700 and my dads summit 146 and my buddys summit rev 151. But its not to great in the trees especially on deep days , you have to keep lots of speed on or your stuck.

Ryeser

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you ride your Assault mainly in the mountains? I wonder what it would by like just ripping around areas like Edson etc?

I have never been to the mountains with my Assault. I mainly ride around Swan, Edson, Whitecourt and around the Stony area and the sled was great, had to put down the scratchers when on the trails, but that should be the same for any 2 stroke... The Doo is a great machine around these areas too, as a buddy had one and if you like going fast, it is the sled to have, as it killed my Assault all of the time!

Darrell D

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. Decision made, bought the 2010 Assault. Now the wait begins.

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback, still undecided. I agree thet are both great sleds and I can get either for a great price. Really i was just going to keep riding the sled a bought last year, a 2006 crossfire 700. But the pricing on these two sleds has advanced my plans by a year.

You shouldn't be Doo Doo Doo Dah Dah Dah:d

Top Bottom