What Oil do you use in your E-Tech?

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I'm probably gonna open up somewhat of a can of worms with this one, but I didn't really find the answers I was looking for while using the search engine. Which, by the way, is a poor search engine, or I haven't quite out smarted it yet. Most of the oil battle threads I found are 2.5 ish years + old. Now that the E-Tech has been out in the real world for a few years with more coming off warranty I'm curious to see what people are using. I'm also very interested to see what the guys running TSS and Areocharger turbos ( or any other turbo E-Techs) are running for engine oil, as these engines are under more load and definitely off warranty.

I've been using Amsoil in pretty much everything I own for the past 10 years and have been very happy with the results. So I am leaning towards Interceptor right now for my '14 XM, but I do know that there are other good oils out on the market. So what is everyone running..... Spectro? Ipone? Torco? BRP Synthetic? Amsoil? Shell Synthetic? Others? and how are ya liking it ?

Link to Amsoil's tests/study on Interceptor Vs BRP XPS for those who like to read and all that....
http://www.amsoil.com/performancetests/g3039.pdf

Cheers,
Kent

Last edited:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I Run Polaris VES gold....lol Had gallons of the crap finally burnt it all.

-lenny-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BRP Full Synthetic. My dealer buys it in bulk, and passes the savings on to their customers. It has treated me well so far, I see no reason to switch!

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Up until now, I have used Torco, Amsoil, but found it gummed up the raves, then switched to Shell advance and was happy with that.

This new sled, I will probably use the bombi synthetic, but...

in the book it states that they "strongly recommend the full synthetic XPS... and says damage caused by oil which is not suitable for the engine will not be covered by BRP".

Now what does that really mean? Has there ever been an actual failure from a reputable oil... or has it been mechanical failure? If lets say the oil pump goes south, and you use amsoil, is it still covered? or will BRP just say it was not the oil recommended.....

Is there an ILSAC or equivalent rating for snowmobile oils??

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Up until now, I have used Torco, Amsoil, but found it gummed up the raves, then switched to Shell advance and was happy with that.

This new sled, I will probably use the bombi synthetic, but...

in the book it states that they "strongly recommend the full synthetic XPS... and says damage caused by oil which is not suitable for the engine will not be covered by BRP".

Now what does that really mean? Has there ever been an actual failure from a reputable oil... or has it been mechanical failure? If lets say the oil pump goes south, and you use amsoil, is it still covered? or will BRP just say it was not the oil recommended.....

Is there an ILSAC or equivalent rating for snowmobile oils??

I think they put that in the book to hopefully get the point across not to stroll down to Crappy Tire or Wally World and buy the cheapest oil you can find on the shelf. The local dealer had a guy who bought a 600 etech and ran coop's cheapest 2-stroke oil, made it to the second season before the engine failed. BRP didn't cover that under warranty, which is understandable.

I could see something like an oil pump failure becoming a huge pissing match if they discovered you were using a different oil. When your sled goes in for a recall or the 10 hour service, are they checking to see what oil you are running ? Do they record that?

I don't think there is much of a rating system for sled oils. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I think most of the manufacturers ' highly recommend' using their own oils to avoid engine failure.

Sent from my Shoe Phone

Top Bottom