What is the riding style in golden

jdietz

Reaction score
Was thinking about heading out to golden for a weekend of riding. we are begginers just started riding this year. What is the style of riding in golden. is there hills to climb or open areas with powder. and is there avalanch activity out there as none of us have the proper equipment so we try to avoid areas with avalanc activity. If some one could give me some info on golden area that would be great. thanks.

west coast

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Golden is no joke. Monster hills and lotsa avys. Go to Quartz creek only and rent the bloody avy gear.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stay off the mountains if you have no gear and no knowledge. Golden really isnt a beginner place. You should go to a tamer area. And really, you should think about finding a guide. Don't go in blind AND stupid.

Just my opinion, but you are sounding like a danger to yourself and others at this point. A little homework needs to be done on your part. The folks here on S&M are awesome at giving help and hints. And, if you talk real nice, one or more of them might offer to let you tag along on a trip and get a feel for the mountains.

Sledding in the mountains is addictive and mindblowing: it would be a shame if you only got to do it once, so do it right the first time. (YES, I do sound like your mother!!)

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stay off the mountains if you have no gear and no knowledge. Golden really isnt a beginner place. You should go to a tamer area. And really, you should think about finding a guide. Don't go in blind AND stupid.

Just my opinion, but you are sounding like a danger to yourself and others at this point. A little homework needs to be done on your part. The folks here on S&M are awesome at giving help and hints. And, if you talk real nice, one or more of them might offer to let you tag along on a trip and get a feel for the mountains.

Sledding in the mountains is addictive and mindblowing: it would be a shame if you only got to do it once, so do it right the first time. (YES, I do sound like your mother!!)

listen to SledMamma. she knows what she's talking about. If I were you I would go to Mcbride for the first mountain ride. Find someone that has experience get the gear and enjoy.

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
give Aaron from Golden Snowmobile Rentals a call, he can set you up with gear and guide you to some fun stuff, he is also a sick rider and can coach you how to ride. It's 90% rider and 10% sled, so having somebody who can really rip teach you will make you a better rider in no time...

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just came back for Gloden, I have been to the mountains 8x's. The person that I took has never been, this was his first trip. He exact words were "Way more that I expected!"

I would highly suggest that you understand your riding style and abilities first and foremost and make sure that they mesh with the riding style and ability of the group that you are with. Also, you must have a full understanding of how to handle a sled in deep snow and constant angles. These are somethings that the person I took with me felt were very important to know in advance.

I felt that Golden was a good learning area, but my friend felt it was too extreme for a first time. He said that he did learn a lot but would have learned more if there had been in a place where it was not as extreme.

From what I have read on here and what other people have talked about it sounds like Ferrnie or CNP would be probably better for a beginner.

Maybe you want to talk to my friend, his handle is TANG.

Hope this helps.

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Warhawk...I guess you guys didn't get into Silver Mines on Sat? I have to say that we have 10,000k in 3 years of mountain riding and I certainly wouldn't suggest taking a new mountain rider to Silver Mines -and definitely if you don't have any avy training or knowledge! It's one of the worst avy zones in the area. Good on you for taking him to the mountains, we learnt that too when we took a newbie out, it may seem ok to us but to them it's overwhelming.
I would've been capital P-issed if the guys I started riding with took me in there for my first time :eek:

Quartz is an area for all abilities and is popular to families for this reason - you just need to ride the areas suitable to you.

Blaeberry, Nicholson trail, Susan Lake are good to learn at. Silent Pass is ok for moderate riders and up, or a confident newbie as it opens up and there's not alot of big climbs to get in.

NOT Silver Mines/Vermont/Valley of the Lakes, Gorman, East Quartz, Cirque, Area 51...52 etc, Old Man...beginners beware! :eek:

Jdietz...If you don't have the experience and some training there are far better places to go than to the mountains to gain experience. Your post sounds like you'd benefit from less extreme terrain so maybe check out other areas Golden has, if you want to ride Golden, that are better for mountain newbies or as steel town suggested, get a guide. Those of us that live here get real nervous reading posts like yours as we see lack of knowledge everyday we ride and that lack of knowledge puts other peeps in danger many times. You can rent the equipment, but what good is it if you have no knowledge to assess the terrain and don't know how to use the equipment?

PLEASE educate yourselves before going to the steep, hazardous terrain! Just being in that kind of environment is overwhelming for many peeps!

TANG- don't be discouraged, you were in over your head...although with good intentions...but I hope it doesn't discourage you :) We had a sled like yours in with our group the weekend before and a VERY experience rider had a tough time getting right in with it...had to really ride it as it has less power for those steep hills. Much easier with more power and with more experience under your belt ;)

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Warhawk...I guess you guys didn't get into Silver Mines on Sat? Yes you are correct. We stopped at the bottom before the big pull into silver mines. Were you the guys that i talked to ontop of the big pull?? (driving a green rev chassis sled??) The area that we were in was definetly over the skills of a newbie. That being said i have never been to silent or silver mines and from your post it sounds like silent is not much better for a newbie. Am i correct assuming this ?? Our plan was to go to silent pass. I was the one that changed and figured it would be better snow in silver mines. Yes it was better snow but the end result was it was to much terrain for my friend. As a result that is why we stopped and you did not see us in silver mines. Yes the Phazer MTX did make the pull onto the top where i spoke with you guys as i took it there but my friend was not confident in his abilities. I was happy enough to take him that far and we still had a good day as we worked our way back to the trailer.

I have to say that we have 10,000k in 3 years of mountain riding and I certainly wouldn't suggest taking a new mountain rider to Silver Mines -and definitely if you don't have any avy training or knowledge! Yes i seen how the avy thing is important there. I don't have my course but i do have a good knowledge of things to look for and places to stay away from, as for my friend he has very little knowledge about this sort of stuff again this is why we stopped as we both came to the realization that it was to much. It's one of the worst avy zones in the area. Thanks for telling me this as i was not aware that it is that bad (until i was there) Is silent rated the same as silver mines????Good on you for taking him to the mountains, we learnt that too when we took a newbie out, it may seem ok to us but to them it's overwhelming.
I would've been capital P-issed if the guys I started riding with took me in there for my first time :eek:

Quartz is an area for all abilities and is popular to families for this reason - you just need to ride the areas suitable to you.

Blaeberry, Nicholson trail, Susan Lake are good to learn at. Silent Pass is ok for moderate riders and up, or a confident newbie as it opens up and there's not alot of big climbs to get in.actually i see where you are coming from about Quartz but everything is angles and it doesn't take much to get off kilter and role your sled. As far as abilitys if somebody goes up a hill and you feel you can do the samething you will but you can also put yourself in a pickle real quick as you can surpass you abilities in the blink of an eye in the mountians. I hope that TANG comes in on this thread and posts what his feelings really were about the trip. We had a lengthy discussion for the last couple days and fully understand where we both went wrong on this trip. My riding style is a little more aggressive than his as a result i took him places that had every thing from rolling hills to extreme. This is not a good enviroment to put some body in. again be honest about your abilitys to yourself and your friends. I as a flatlander feel that my abilitys are average to above average in the mountians as i have only been to them 8 times but as my friend tang told me this weekend that my aggressive riding style back in SASK helps me get around very well in the mountians and in his eyes he felt that i could ride with any of the groups that he saw this weekend. I feel different about this as i still have lots of things to learn. And i don't want to end up with a group that is way to extreme. As i would not feel comfortable as well.

NOT Silver Mines/Vermont/Valley of the Lakes, Gorman, East Quartz, Cirque, Area 51...52 etc, Old Man...beginners beware! :eek:

The day before we had been in Gorman and he did say that he enjoyed himself. Again I hope that he chimes in on this thread. He also made it into Lang with no problems. only made a small mistake coming out as he got stuck.

Jdietz...If you don't have the experience and some training there are far better places to go than to the mountains to gain experience. Your post sounds like you'd benefit from less extreme terrain so maybe check out other areas Golden has, if you want to ride Golden, that are better for mountain newbies or as steel town suggested, get a guide. Those of us that live here get real nervous reading posts like yours as we see lack of knowledge everyday we ride and that lack of knowledge puts other peeps in danger many times. You can rent the equipment, but what good is it if you have no knowledge to assess the terrain and don't know how to use the equipment?

PLEASE educate yourselves before going to the steep, hazardous terrain! Just being in that kind of environment is overwhelming for many peeps!

TANG- don't be discouraged, you were in over your head...although with good intentions...but I hope it doesn't discourage you :) We had a sled like yours in with our group the weekend before and a VERY experience rider had a tough time getting right in with it...had to really ride it as it has less power for those steep hills. Much easier with more power and with more experience under your belt ;)

This trip was a great one for me to realize that i have to make sure that the people that i take with me are comfortable with there abilities and also the machine they ride. My buddy just got the phazer MTX a couple weeks before we went on this trip and was driving a F6 before this.
Alot of variables changed real quick for him and then throw in angles, less power, new machine, deep snow etc etc and things can get really overwhelming real quick. I hope that TANG comes in on this thread as i feel he could add very valuable information for others to learn from.

Just my 2 cents :)

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Warhawk, we made the same mistake last year and took someone into Area 52 at Quartz which was too extreme for a newbie. All slopes. If you go left into Cabin Valley, that's a good area.
Silent Pass has more extreme areas but the lake area has lots of openings in trees, lake and small hills. You cross paths to get there, but you can stay out of the danger once there. The trail is long but less extreme than the mines and not as many avy paths. Groomed trail usually too. I rode Silent Pass lots as a newbie and loved it and it's my favorite place still.

I agree that someone who can handle a sled, can handle a sled. But the environment you're in might call on some skills that aren't required on flat land, or used in the same way. Just being in the mountains for some people is overwhelming in itself and can influence the confidence they have in their abilities. Far different sidehilling when you roll 5 feet to a field than tumbling hundreds down a rocky mountain face :eek:

The important thing is getting to know your environment and how to assess the areas and snow conditions. An avy course teaches you lots more than how to use a beacon and rescue peeps.

Please don't think I was criticizing you for your choice of trip :) We made the same mistake and it happened to me while I was learning too. Fuggers :rant:

Link

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Warhawk, we made the same mistake last year and took someone into Area 52 at Quartz which was too extreme for a newbie. All slopes. If you go left into Cabin Valley, that's a good area.
Silent Pass has more extreme areas but the lake area has lots of openings in trees, lake and small hills. You cross paths to get there, but you can stay out of the danger once there. The trail is long but less extreme than the mines and not as many avy paths. Groomed trail usually too. I rode Silent Pass lots as a newbie and loved it and it's my favorite place still.Well i guess next time I go i will have to give it a try. hoping to hit Golden at least once more this year.

I agree that someone who can handle a sled, can handle a sled. But the environment you're in might call on some skills that aren't required on flat land, or used in the same way. Just being in the mountains for some people is overwhelming in itself and can influence the confidence they have in their abilities. Far different sidehilling when you roll 5 feet to a field than tumbling hundreds down a rocky mountain face :eek:These were some of the words i heard a couple days ago from my friend. The idea that in SASK there is alot less risk of something happening as you sidehill for a half a mile in 3 ft of snow on the side of a ditch or valley.

The important thing is getting to know your environment and how to assess the areas and snow conditions. An avy course teaches you lots more than how to use a beacon and rescue peeps.

Please don't think I was criticizing you for your choice of trip :) We made the same mistake and it happened to me while I was learning too. Fuggers :rant:

As for myself i felt comfortable in what I had done on this trip. Yes there are always some points in a trip that get the old ticker:eek:going but i felt that i was okay with the area's that i went to.

Link

so was that you guys on top of the hill or not and which one were you ???

Tang

Reaction score
The big thing I would like to add to this thread is know your abilities and understand before you go to the mountains your limits. As stated in previous posts, lots of angles, steep climbs, and deep snow - all of these come at you as individual challenges or any combination.

For myself personal, I watched to many youtube video that showcased the glamor side of mountain sledding, but I omitted from my view the dangers/risks and challenges of many of these areas.

Jamie

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
She was the one doing all the talkin. lol;)

so you are saying :girlpower: is what controls you guys when your in the hills LMAO.

Hey it was great meeting her i guess. not sure who the rest of you are on here but i remember what Tam looked like. also remember a guy on a green rev chassis. not sure who he was and then a blonde girl as well.

anyways was nice to meet you guys.

maybe when i come down again you guys would let me ride with you??

:beer: hope you guys get some fresh snow soon as i am looking to come that way in about 2/3 weeks. between feb 27th and the 4th of march for a couple days.

jdietz

Reaction score
I posted this thread to learn about the riding styles in golden. I didnt post this thread to tell you that I am going to golden blind and stupid. We ride only to our abilities. I was wondering about avalach activity because if we go to an area where there is some we would need to rent the equipment. But if there is areas out there that there is no avalanch activity that would be better. I was looking for information on the area. And areas to ride for the begginer I wasnt looking for extreme riding areas. Like I say I dont know golden but I heard there was areas right around there for the begginers.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I posted this thread to learn about the riding styles in golden. I didnt post this thread to tell you that I am going to golden blind and stupid. We ride only to our abilities. I was wondering about avalach activity because if we go to an area where there is some we would need to rent the equipment. But if there is areas out there that there is no avalanch activity that would be better. I was looking for information on the area. And areas to ride for the begginer I wasnt looking for extreme riding areas. Like I say I dont know golden but I heard there was areas right around there for the begginers.

Nobody was telling you that you were stupid and if you read the thread, all we expressed was genuine concern. Nobody was being rude. I think you will find that alot of people went out of their way to type alot of information about the Golden area and their experiences as a beginner that will get you where you want to go. Sorry you were offended...

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
South Columbia : CAC Forecasts : Bulletins : Canadian Avalanche Centre : avalanche.ca

Golden Snowmobile Trail Society | Golden, BC | Snowmobiling | Snowmobile Trails

Weather Forecast: Golden, British Columbia - The Weather Network

Golden Snowmobile Rentals | sledding | Golden | British Columbia

There's some links. Info on the trails and areas to help determine the area best for your ability, avy info (that changes almost daily lately), and weather for you to check to help assess the avy danger as well for the time you come. Link to Aaron at GSR if you need a guide or equipment.

The avy danger is always changing with weather. It's tough for anyone to tell you where avy's are happening or going to happen with certainty. There is activity all over right now.
Golden is in the South Columbia area.
What you want to know about riding style I don't know...there's all kinds of 'styles' and Golden has them all. How about trying your blue toque with your red mitts...LOL. :D

Last edited:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are lots of places to ride in Golden that are safe for beginners, Susan and West Bench are two good choices. Golden has lots of diverse terrain that can accomodate beginners. I have actually ridden there.

I'm sorry but even I feel offended for jdietz on a couple of these responses. A person comes on here and asks for advice and gets told they are a danger to themselves and everyone on the hill, etc etc. Sorry, but we don't know anything about this person and what they are like and so I think its a bit presumptuous to assume that they will go out and do something that will endanger themselves or others. We all started riding in the mountains somewhere, sometime.

I have taken riders with very little mountain time to Quartz in the later season and stayed on the "low and slow" and they have had a great time, with no avy risk whatsoever. They stayed in the "safer" areas around the cabin and were generally pretty timid about the areas they selected to ride. They also had a great time.

I see far more "experienced" people who like to talk big about how much they think they know about the mountains, doing FAR DUMBER stuff than most newbies out there. These self-proclaimed "experts" think an Avy course, a beacon, an 800 cc sled and a few years in the mountains makes them invincible. IMO - They know jack sh!t. You wanna know how many "experienced" riders I have seen climbing the south face of Gorman Lake? Probably one of the dumbest things you can do, but yet I see it everytime I go out there......9 times out of 10 its these so-called "experienced" riders who are a danger to themselves and others. It may not be what some want to hear but sometimes the truth stings a little. Some people need to take a very long hard look in the mirror and be honest with themselves.

Jdietz - you might want to consider the Crowsnest Pass instead. It has some areas like Atlas and the Rolling Hills that carry far less avy risk than some areas in Golden. It is still highly recommended that your take an avy course and learn to use the gear if you are going to rent it. There is so much more to learn about the gear that should be taught by a trained professional, its only effective if you know how to use it.

jdietz

Reaction score
Thanks modman. Ive rode in the crosnest pass area, there is some really nice places to ride in there. We just want to get out to different areas, Thanks for the info. Weve been out about 7 times this year, and this year being the first year weve rode. were learning as we go and it does seem like a very good idea to get the training, and at least rent gear if we do decide to venture into the avy risk areas. And hopefully we can get out to golden and check out those places you suggested. Thank you all for the good input.

Top Bottom