Weight Difference

lmg225

Reaction score
So heres the story this year i went out and purchased a new 2010 m8 sno pro H.O. really excited bout this sled. My buddy has and 2008 summit x also a wonderful machine.
Now im a cat man always liked them and never had any problems with them and not taking anything away from the doos but hes seems to think that his sled dry is about 50lbs lighter than mine i was thinking maybe in the range of 8 to 10 but im not sure as i have not seen any numbers this year for the cat or the new bombs. I,ve lifted both the front end of mine and the front end of his seems the same to me hes seems to think not and in the back his sled feels really light compared to mine but nothing i worry bout.

Just wondering has anybody heard any thing on official weights of this comparsion i like for somone to clear that up thx

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hear the snow pro may be a few pounds lighter than an xp??

I'll keep my summit tho:d

rmk800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i read that it is 464 lbs on the m8, not sure it is official or not.

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So heres the story this year i went out and purchased a new 2010 m8 sno pro H.O. really excited bout this sled. My buddy has and 2008 summit x also a wonderful machine.
Now im a cat man always liked them and never had any problems with them and not taking anything away from the doos but hes seems to think that his sled dry is about 50lbs lighter than mine i was thinking maybe in the range of 8 to 10 but im not sure as i have not seen any numbers this year for the cat or the new bombs. I,ve lifted both the front end of mine and the front end of his seems the same to me hes seems to think not and in the back his sled feels really light compared to mine but nothing i worry bout.

Just wondering has anybody heard any thing on official weights of this comparsion i like for somone to clear that up thx

Look at your cetificate of Origin, it will show the shipping weight of your cat, minus off 30+ lbs for the crate materials and thats your dry weight of your sled!

If i can recall her certificate said 496lbs shipping weight my M1000 said 511lbs shipping weight.

win

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
M8 = 482lbs and the XP is 447 lbs right from the byers guide:d

lmg225

Reaction score
M8 = 482lbs and the XP is 447 lbs right from the byers guide:d

Im pretty sure that number is old for the m8 but that seems right for the ski-doo im pretty sure the cat weight is wrong unofficially i think it was 464 that was 2009 and i think the 2010 was lighter again not sure by how much, anyways these are dry weights and nobody runs a machine dry and the gap closes when there all topped up i thought is there an argument here?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't compare dry weights. Last time I checked you don't ride a sled without any fluids.

Fill them both with gas, oil, coolant, chaincase oil, and shock oil and then head down to the nearest scale and weigh them.

This is the only way to truly tell what its going to weigh when you actually ride it.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
don't compare dry weights. Last time i checked you don't ride a sled without any fluids.

Fill them both with gas, oil, coolant, chaincase oil, and shock oil and then head down to the nearest scale and weigh them.

This is the only way to truly tell what its going to weigh when you actually ride it.

i agree with modman here.......... But what win posted seems to be the proper dry weights for both sleds.........

Alberta Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No longer in Alberta... Moved to Toronto!
Don't compare dry weights. Last time I checked you don't ride a sled without any fluids.

Ya sure but then you are factoring fluids and some machines have different capacities which will throw it off. If one has 8 gal gas tank versus an 11 gal gas tank of course you will narrow (or widen) the weight gap... but does the guy with the 8 gal gas tank also need 5 gallons to make sure he doesn't run out on the hill...

Dry to dry is a fair comparison for how the sleds are built... If you are going to compare wet... factor in the BIGGEST weight contribution to riding it wet... YOUR FAT BEHIND... how much does your sled weigh full of fluid, with you on it and all of your twinkies in your backpack versus your skinny buddy with no food or water (because he is a camel... and skinny)... something to think about!

win

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think Alberta Boy has a good point ,dry to dry is the only way to compare weights.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya sure but then you are factoring fluids and some machines have different capacities which will throw it off. If one has 8 gal gas tank versus an 11 gal gas tank of course you will narrow (or widen) the weight gap... but does the guy with the 8 gal gas tank also need 5 gallons to make sure he doesn't run out on the hill...

Dry to dry is a fair comparison for how the sleds are built... If you are going to compare wet... factor in the BIGGEST weight contribution to riding it wet... YOUR FAT BEHIND... how much does your sled weigh full of fluid, with you on it and all of your twinkies in your backpack versus your skinny buddy with no food or water (because he is a camel... and skinny)... something to think about!

Believe me, I get what you're saying. I always leave the rider out of it, for one reason - everyone is different. And its silly to try and even compare riders. If you and your buddy are 130 lbs apart in weight, why are you arguing about the weight difference in the sleds!!!!!!! :D You'll never get everyone to weigh the exact same on any two given days of sledding. But the sleds will always start the same weigh in the morning - full of gas and oil. If sled A has an 11 gal tank and sled B has an 8 gal tank, and there's a hill 5 kms up the trail, does sled A start off the from the parking lot with less gas just so he can climb as high as his buddy on sled B on the first hill they come to? No one I know.

Sure sled A might be heavier in the parking lot, but you're exactly right, buddy on sled B might be packing 5 more gallons to make it to the end of the day, which in the end, a jerry can on the back makes his sled heavier right? :D (assuming all other things being equal). See what I'm saying?? weigh them as they would sit in the parking lot ready to head up the trail, bench racing about who's lighter on the dealership floor isn't what the sled weighs when you pull it off the trailer and point it at the mountain.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WTF does it really matter. Pull the rope and ride. Who cares that sled "A weighs XXXLbs" and sled "B weighs XXXXLbs" Does it matter if its red or blue?

Now what does matter is where is the snow?? :Snowmobile1::i_need_snow:

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Now put me on one and murminator on the other one........Who will climb higher.....................................................................................................................They both feel like yamaha .........LOL!
catmando!

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why not be happy with the sled you bought regardless of the weight...I didn't buy an XP because I thought it was the lightest...I am a doo guy, used to be a cat guy years ago. If someone bought me a new SnoPro I would ride both and then really determine which sled I prefered to ride.

mel.h

Reaction score
I agree with takethebounce, if you wanted the lightest sled out there you should have researched before you bought. Take the fact that you like the Cat (don't worry about the 20 or 30 lbs. difference or whatever), they have been good to you & enjoy it. If you think what we used to ride even even 5 years ago to now, the difference is a lot. Cat makes a nice machine, so do the others.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why not be happy with the sled you bought regardless of the weight...I didn't buy an XP because I thought it was the lightest...I am a doo guy, used to be a cat guy years ago. If someone bought me a new SnoPro I would ride both and then really determine which sled I prefered to ride.

there you go. At last some one is listening. Ride what you bought not because of the weigh but because it's it's yours:beer::beer::beer:

Top Bottom