Valemount 2009 and 2010 Conditions

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Conditions are awesome out here if you get a chance to see.

Chappell was totally socked in yesterday with some awesome snow. Approx 30cm in most places and was snowing very hard when we left. So hard in fact that the parking area was very tough to get into this morning. I got the plow out there as soon as I got word, sorry if it caused anyone trouble. On the other hand, my Chappell Staff broke down on the way out this morning so lots of folks got a free ride...sucks for the club, but good for them.

Conditions at Allan today were awesome with about 15-20cm covering all the tracks on the front side and closer to 30cm back in superbowl. Visibility was on an off, but when it was off you were blinded. We came down early and it looked to be clearing, so the afternoon must have been awesome!

The holiday rush went great and thank you all for coming, the only thing I ask is PLEASE PACK OUT WHAT YOU PACK IN !

Ride Safe

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Conditions are awesome out here if you get a chance to see.

Chappell was totally socked in yesterday with some awesome snow. Approx 30cm in most places and was snowing very hard when we left. So hard in fact that the parking area was very tough to get into this morning. I got the plow out there as soon as I got word, sorry if it caused anyone trouble. On the other hand, my Chappell Staff broke down on the way out this morning so lots of folks got a free ride...sucks for the club, but good for them.

Conditions at Allan today were awesome with about 15-20cm covering all the tracks on the front side and closer to 30cm back in superbowl. Visibility was on an off, but when it was off you were blinded. We came down early and it looked to be clearing, so the afternoon must have been awesome!

The holiday rush went great and thank you all for coming, the only thing I ask is PLEASE PACK OUT WHAT YOU PACK IN !

Ride Safe

That reminds me... How come you guys weren't collected in Chappell last Monday? I know it's a weekday but you missed probably 30 riders x 15$ = $450 towards grooming a trail that desperately needed it. Not that I'm complaining.. Just my two cents :beer:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they dont charge for a trail that isnt groomed. as far as i know they charge 2-3 days after a grooming or sometimes 10$ for a 3rd or 4th day. with the exception of allan and clemina which are done 3-4 days in a row. chappel is groomed thursday night so you would have been 4th day on the groom. cant really charge to ride a bumpy trail.

but ill let curtis give you a correct answer.:beer:

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they dont charge for a trail that isnt groomed. as far as i know they charge 2-3 days after a grooming or sometimes 10$ for a 3rd or 4th day. with the exception of allan and clemina which are done 3-4 days in a row. chappel is groomed thursday night so you would have been 4th day on the groom. cant really charge to ride a bumpy trail.

but ill let curtis give you a correct answer.:beer:

That makes sense to the cheap chits out there. Personally, as much as I complain about a bumpy trail, I'd still rather support the club to keep a great area like Chappell open.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
couldnt agree more. chappel is also a cash cow i think because it takes 3x as long to groom it and transport a groomer and the user numbers are always way less than allan and clemina. so the fact that we even get it groomed once a week is very good.

EMANAARON

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice meeting you out at Clemina Sunday Depsnolvr. Sorry about your luck with your sled motor that day. Hopefully you can get out there again soon.

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks........after all the early season maintenance for it and now this after the holidays, its killer........only one year and one month old........anyone got a spare short block...lol

Glad you guys had a fun time, it was a great day to be on the hill

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Curtis, hows the conditions looking for this weekend, any soft snow left or is it all wind beaten and baked from the temp changes. Forecast showed sun but recently changed to flurries. I'm in dire need of some sun to ride in!!!
Weather cam looks nice right now!

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Curtis, hows the conditions looking for this weekend, any soft snow left or is it all wind beaten and baked from the temp changes. Forecast showed sun but recently changed to flurries. I'm in dire need of some sun to ride in!!!

i think i have seen that elan at allan creek?:d

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

well, we have not had fresh since last Sunday, but it was a slower weekend and the conditions were awesome. Clemina was almost untouched on Sunday morning with approx 6-8" of fresh in most places and up to a few feet of soft wonderful snow in the trees!

I may be bias, but to me its always a good time to ride, unfortunately it looks like we will be getting our fresh on Saturday, so maybe say goodbye to the sun.....

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Question........ I've been reading about the hoar frost that's buried about 1-2 feet down in the Golden area and further south... Is there any layers apparent in the Vale area? Snow seemed fairly stable when I was there. Not sure what's developed since then.

powerteker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That makes sense to the cheap chits out there. Personally, as much as I complain about a bumpy trail, I'd still rather support the club to keep a great area like Chappell open.

well u can buy a trail pass in town to we get ours at the front desk at the best western, that way u know the club is still gettin our support.

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The VARDA Office will be open from 7am to 12pm this Friday, January 8th to Sunday January 10th.

Riders are able to:

Purchase Trail Passes
Ask about and receive information on riding areas
View the CAA Avalanche Forecast
Pick up Copies of our Snowmobile Guide and Sponsor Flyer
Receive general information on Valemount Summer/Winter

The Office is located in the Log Building directly beside/below the Visitor Information Center on
Highway 5. Plenty of trailer parking is available in the lower or upper lots

Come on in and say hello, I'll have the coffee on !

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Question........ I've been reading about the hoar frost that's buried about 1-2 feet down in the Golden area and further south... Is there any layers apparent in the Vale area? Snow seemed fairly stable when I was there. Not sure what's developed since then.

Well, I rode in the Oasis riding area yesterday, Snow was great. a couple of rocks here and there but only if you were looking for them. SAWEET BLUEBIRD!!

As for the instability that has concearned many, it is there. Alberta boy and I did a snowpack test and found the weak layer is there for sure. Some light elbow taps and the layer broke at about a foot down. (tree line). There is not a big layer of snow on top yet, but we saw a lot of wind loading in spots, and if this layer does not bond, and a big dump occurs... WATCH out. Looks like the shaded areas are gonna be prone to this.
Clear nights, and cold temps are not a good mixture either. Be careful all.

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Quite the interesting winter weather forecast for the upcoming week. This could make for an amazing time next weekend.

Just a reminder that the VARDA office is now open the mornings of Fri-Sun

Riders are able to:

Purchase Trail Passes
Ask about and receive information on riding areas
View the CAA Avalanche Forecast
Pick up Copies of our Snowmobile Guide and Sponsor Flyer
Receive general information on Valemount Summer/Winter

The Office is located in the Log Building directly beside/below the Visitor Information
Center on Highway 5
(Plenty of trailer parking is available in the lower or upper lots)

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A little outdated, but here's a video I made on Dec. 28th at Chappell. There's more vids on my youtube profile as well. No need to post them all!
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEUIMX3p76w[/media]

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah........The rain has arrived. Im not certain yet what is falling in the alpine, hopefully someone can chime in with first hand info. It was raining in the staging areas this morning.

Top Bottom