Used 3/4 oil in 1.5 hour ride

p.summit

Reaction score
Went for a ride today topped off oil and full tank of fuel i rode for about 1.5 hours and not very hard riding. When i got back noticed that my oil light was on and the level was at 1/4 i didn't notice any oil around the exhaust or elsewhere plugs were not fouled. The sled didn't feel rich made good crisp power from engagement to about 8000rpm,when at idle it smoked alot didn't seem normal. Can this be a problem with the oil cable or something else.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah start checking, cable, loose hose, did you do anything lately around the carbs or back of engine. i assume its a skidoo?

p.summit

Reaction score
What is the best way to check the oil cable? It is hard to see inside. Can i tighten the cable myself or does it have to be replaced? How much do i tighten it?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
again before you go adjusting anything, something must have happened to use that much oil all of a sudden. has anyone been tinkering behind the carbs. or around the oil tank area. something is fishy here?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no it will close on an xp. you pull lever to increase oil. someone or something has happened to sled. this just doesn't start for no reason.

p.summit

Reaction score
I haven't been tinkering around the carbs, just normal riding like i said it really smokes while at idle and till about engagement then it clears up the sled runs great otherwise. No loss of power or bogging or being rich. Could it be the oil cable being frayed or throttle cable. Maybe cold riding.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i dont know for a fact but i would assume as a safety the pump would go full open if the cable breaks..?

i seriously would check the pump cable at the injection pump itself.

does your throttle pull seem easier than another sled of the same type?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i just hooked mine up on the 08, the cable pulls against the spring, cut cable should go low oil. unless i have er hooked up wrong. no you pull against spring.:beer:

yes maxwell is right the arm does rotate back. way back, likely full open, to hook up cable the arm makes a half rotation from bottom.

Last edited:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i know but when the arm releases it goes way back past the idle position. might full open then. i dont know ive never had one apart but it would make sense.

ill look into it

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I read a few posts on dootalk that says the pump goes full open when the cable breaks, going to inspect my cable when I pull the bottom end out today

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i know but when the arm releases it goes way back past the idle position. might full open then. i dont know ive never had one apart but it would make sense.

ill look into it

yes that is right. never thought of it that way. never opened it up to see. in that case could definitely be a broken cable. should be able to tell with flashlight and mirror if the arm moves or not. looks like a real pain to fix.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes that is right. never thought of it that way. never opened it up to see. in that case could definitely be a broken cable. should be able to tell with flashlight and mirror if the arm moves or not. looks like a real pain to fix.

should be able to tell because the throttle pull might be very easy unless the cable is binded up.

p.summit

Reaction score
The throttle pull seems a little easier, the only tinkering was when i had it in for the new drive axel, maybe something came loose. I would do this job myself but really have no idea where to begin, might need the shop manual.

so when you say full open you mean more oil going in, and will this cause harm to the engine?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes WAY more oil. if anything its better for the engimne...hard on the pocket book.

basically its delivering the amount of oil it gets at FULL throttle at all throttle positions including idle.

changign the cable is a big job.

have to unbolt the engine and exhaust system and tilt the engine forward.

id suggest picking up a shop manual

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no, should save engine, would explain excess idle smoking. it could be a big job, you cannot get your hands in there, i had to lift motor. not fun. and had to do it again because i left the oil return line off, not fun twice.:d

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
anything i read about this or been told is if the cable breaks it goes full oil. and when they come from factory they are set at 15 mm of cable showing, most are adjusting them to 18mm cable show....or the width of a cdn. dime face. and this is still a bit rich yet. If the cable becomes frayed it then can lean out due to not functioning proper. Like others i have not had the pump apart, but i am interested to find out.

p.summit

Reaction score
Sounds like i may need my own oil well till i fix this problem, if it won't harm the engine should i still ride it? Where can i get a shop manual for a 08 xp?

Might have to pull a sled with extra oil..lol

Top Bottom