Turbo or not to Turbo

TheBlazeman

Reaction score
I've never owned a turbo sled but Iam strongly kicking around the idea of rocking a boosted sled this season. I wanted to hear from people with experience whats the good the bad and the ugly when it comes to boosting 2 stroke 800's? Iam hearing that with the new bd kit you pretty much got yourself a pull and go sled, whats the truth to that statement?........ whats the additional maitnence costs and upkeep associated with the turbo? I ride 5 days a week 20-70 mtn miles the sled in question is an 11 pro rmk 63 with a stage2 bd kit set up by burandts sled builder. so to boost or not to boost?

ldog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know how the polaris motors hold out as far as reliabilty but I can say I got 50 in last year on my BD race M-8 turbo without any problems. Just pull and go. I'm dong the top end this year for the sake of it but as far as a boosted sled goes (and it doesn't matter what kind of brand) you won't ever go back IMO.

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2 Stroke or 4 Stroke turbo, there is no replacement for the giggle factor you become accustomed to, the sound of the blow off valve and the whistle of the turbo and lets not forget the sore hands from hanging on. They are so much fun stock just will never do it for you again.

gobig1029

Reaction score
When you almost double the horsepower, you will definately put more load on your sled, so remember that the Maintenance end of it is very important or it will bite you in the ass, so if you stay on top of the maintenance, they will work very well and consistent !

powderpilot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you wrench between rides, you shouldn't have to touch your machine on the hill. I got hooked on Boost last year. I'm on an M8 Twisted and LOVE it!!!!

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've never owned a turbo sled but Iam strongly kicking around the idea of rocking a boosted sled this season. I wanted to hear from people with experience whats the good the bad and the ugly when it comes to boosting 2 stroke 800's? Iam hearing that with the new bd kit you pretty much got yourself a pull and go sled, whats the truth to that statement?........ whats the additional maitnence costs and upkeep associated with the turbo? I ride 5 days a week 20-70 mtn miles the sled in question is an 11 pro rmk 63 with a stage2 bd kit set up by burandts sled builder. so to boost or not to boost?

so the question is if you should buy burandts sled or not? Built by Eric?

unless you can see touch and ride Burandts old machine stay away I have been there,, he rides and he rides it hard at redline all day with EGT's flash N,, Im not bashing him or his sled but its been riden hard and put away wet thats all... so up to you

as it goes for Eric at VOHK they know there Boondockers chit like no one else so ya those guys are good sled builders no question asked....

good luck

Last edited:

Timber_12

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't do it again for a bit. If I did I'd definately research the company I'd be buying from. Ask yourself...are you ready for boost? I'd do a big bore before I'd do boost and that's what I'm going to this year from a race gas m8. I was told pull and go sled even with a turbo. Towed out twice, limped out a few times and around a dozen craptastic trips later I'm really hoping to get the bugs worked out of the sled. It'll make a great back-up for the bb900. If you're running boost your repairs and maintenance are higher. Period. Wether it's replacing the pistons early like recommended or buying new turbos for $1360 because a windshiel clip falls into it or another one because ice falls into it, it can add up real fast.

TheBlazeman

Reaction score
So i made the wise choice not the fun choice but decided against the turbo, I don't want to be wrenching I want to be riding.... not that i don't want the wow factor of the turbo Iam just not made of money.... as far as sled go's Iam going to be getting an 11 pro 63 w fox evols, it has a new engine in it not because the old one blew up but because its one of burandts sleds and polaris takes his engines back at the end of the year to do diagnostics on. basically an 11 frame with new components and engine.... the price was right and it comes with a one year warranty, I'll either ride it for a few months stock save some money and do the turbo or just ride it for the winter sell it and save for a new turbo next year..... the hard choices in life we must make....decisions decisions

TheBlazeman

Reaction score
so the question is if you should buy burandts sled or not? Built by Eric?

unless you can see touch and ride Burandts old machine stay away I have been there,, he rides and he rides it hard at redline all day with EGT's flash N,, Im not bashing him or his sled but its been riden hard and put away wet thats all... so up to you

as it goes for Eric at VOHK they know there Boondockers chit like no one else so ya those guys are good sled builders no question asked....

good luck

Yeah it would have been all set up by eric from VOHK, stage 2 bd turbo fox evols, an on mtn tuning session w Eric. It would have been a brand new turbo setup and engine not one thats already been hammered on. I figured if I were to get a bd pro who better to get it from right? Iam still going to get a bd turbo pro maybe not this season but forsure in the next season or 2, I just have to many other things I want to spend money on, but when I do Iam deff getting it set up from VOHK...

Last edited:

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah it would have been all set up by eric from VOHK, stage 2 bd turbo fox evols, an on mtn tuning session w Eric. It would have been a brand new turbo setup and engine not one thats already been hammered on. I figured if I were to get a bd pro who better to get it from right? Iam still going to get a bd turbo pro maybe not this season but forsure in the next season or 2, I just have to many other things I want to spend money on, but when I do Iam deff getting it set up from VOHK...

ahh I see you live in CO?

ya man who better for sure I agree, I just got un lucky with one of his cats I brought up to canada..... and many peeps spend many hours wrenching on high HP boosted sleds but I guess its worth it for sure if ya got the skills money and time.

that would be sweet to spend the day with Eric for sure,,, ya anything high horsepower costs big money I guess lol,, damn money gets in the way of all our fun

p.s. if ya buy his sled hit him up for a free day at the backcountry tour I am sure he will doo it I wish I could have made it down but I couuldnt get off work.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Aside from the maintenance..........you also have to look at what type of riding you do. I think the whole turbo fad is getting a bit oversold to the masses. Turbos are alot of fun, but they are a completely different type of power. I had two, and am back on a modded NA sled. I really missed the instant power and zing of the naturally aspirated sleds. Turbos definitely have thier place, but yes....they do come with alot more maintenance. Some are pull and go. ALOT are not.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know Im gonna start a war here.......but what the heck. In my experience, A well set up XP will hang with/or beat a turboed M up until about 8lbs. No bigbore either. My sled has a bit of lightwieght stuff, 14:1 head, 2.5" track, clutching and gearing. I was beating alot of turboed Ms running 8lbs. Flats, boondocking, tree riding, and open hills. Buddy running 9lbs with a 162 had me in the real steep and deep but alot of the difference could have been track. And my point isnt that XPs are the best sled ever built. Just that turboes arent all that they are cracked up to be. And a well set up N/A sled is a WAY better bang for your buck with alot less headache. Not a bit brand loyal, Ive had two turboed cats. Crank them up to 12-14lbs and its a different story, but then you are at a whole new level of cost and headache.

And I think reviews should come from people that actually pay for thier stuff. (whether it be turbos, suspension, performance parts, etc.) Id say turbos were the best thing since sliced bread too if someone gave me one.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know Im gonna start a war here.......but what the heck. In my experience, A well set up XP will hang with/or beat a turboed M up until about 8lbs. No bigbore either. My sled has a bit of lightwieght stuff, 14:1 head, 2.5" track, clutching and gearing. I was beating alot of turboed Ms running 8lbs. Flats, boondocking, tree riding, and open hills. Buddy running 9lbs with a 162 had me in the real steep and deep but alot of the difference could have been track. And my point isnt that XPs are the best sled ever built. Just that turboes arent all that they are cracked up to be. And a well set up N/A sled is a WAY better bang for your buck with alot less headache. Not a bit brand loyal, Ive had two turboed cats. Crank them up to 12-14lbs and its a different story, but then you are at a whole new level of cost and headache.

And I think reviews should come from people that actually pay for thier stuff. (whether it be turbos, suspension, performance parts, etc.) Id say turbos were the best thing since sliced bread too if someone gave me one.

Well said Deaner, in both posts. I know how much I spent on av gas alone last year out of my own pocket, it wasn't cheap. Unless you have support, the costs can add up quick. As with all things, lots of hype to promote the latest thing, heard the same comments as you from a few other people now as well though, the hassles of boost with octane at different elevations etc just isn't worth it to more people it seems, and they are going back to the BB as a more manageable solution for power (with no lag), with an initial lower investment and operating costs.

And sure there will be the boosted peeps that say any BB NA sled cannot match a turbo, but Micku and many other folks have proven that it isn't the case anymore.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
x2 with deaner and mod man. Was out last year with a guy from kamloops on a race gas M8, didnt work worth a crap. Buddy told me it was gone at the end of the season because of many issues. Bad idling, over fueling, gas consumption, lag, power incosistant, parts parts parts. I can speak first hand that the big bores rock, and they still do to this day. Just my opinion though, what do i know.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
touchie subject. i think for someone who gets out a few times a year and has a well setup pump gas turbo thats just fine. but for those who demand consistancy and crisp power 50+ days a year the na sled with some nice upgrades is the way to go. i know if my sled even gives the slightest hiccup im pizzed off. i cant imagine having something always inconsistant which is why i dont have one. yes turbos are fun. yes i have been on a few that really work. but man i have seen way more fall on their face big time. i remember last season following a guy up to the alpine to find sun and 3 feet of fresh snow. as soon as we broke into the alpine he blew an oil line. you can imagine his dissapointment on the best day of the season. its realy sad walking all over fourty thousand dollar sleds because they just arent running right. you are adding a completely new mechanixal system to an already complex machine when in reality you want to be as simple as possile fifty miles into the backcountry. your also stepping into the realm of not being able to walk into your dealer and grab the parts you need to get back to business. if you are dedicted to making one work it may be worth your while. but for me i hate stopping to change my clickers so messing around with boost is not in my cards.

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good thread here guys. Not that i am the end all be all of any sled mod,but the turbos we have on the snow are working and very very well. I dont care what anyone says throwing a turbo at a totally stock sled is a COMPLETE waist of my time and the customers money. I have fixed and built everything from a carbed turbo rev to fuel injected 1200cc cats and one thing i do know is STOCK engines HATE boost. With the right set of hands in the engine(thank you BRENT) coupled with added cooling capacity and some good clutching turbos work and they work well. Sorry to birst anyones bubble here but a $1000.00 turbo install is far from something that will work properly. Are they a big bore NO not even close,are they a stocker NO not even close are they in a game all of their own YES they are.There are 3 things my customers get asked when they walk in the door,where do you want to be on the hill,what kind of riding do you like the most,how much do you want to spend.Lets face it these are machines and it takes the right parts and pieces to make ANY machine work.

Deano

MAD MOTORSPORTS

4mcntrls

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree as well. It take time and effort to make turbo's run right and be reliable. Can it be done? Absolutely. Are they a blast to ride? For sure. Stock, Big Bore, Turbo they all have their place, pick your poison and lets go ride!

Top Bottom