Trail User Fees

heyjude

RIP Judy
Reaction score
Website
www.mountainhavenbb.vpweb.com
I have a strange feeling that at $25 bucks a head they are going to see a lot more people refusing to pay. If you have 100 people willing to pay $20 or 50 willing to pay $25 where are you going to come out ahead. I mean what are the legal ramnifications of driving past and not paying at the booth and heading up the trail. I know that the backcountry is all public land and free to all??

You can ride anywhere you want in the back country. Just don't use the snowmobile club's parking lots, trail or cabin area, upon which they have a Management Agreement with the Government. Oh, yes, and make sure you stay out of the Caribou closure areas as well - that's a HUGE fine. If you blow up the trail past the collector without paying, the RCMP will (and have in the past) become involved. You will have to go back for your truck and trailer at some point. What are those things called that lock onto the truck wheel? Boots? Handy gadgets, those.

woodym7

Reaction score
Note sure what to say to this but are you serious you can drive all the way from alberta and be upset over 10.00. I just find it amusing. I think that after all the cash i spent on gear, sleds, deck, gas, etc. $25 is the least of my worries and if the trails are going to be groomed weekends for the majority of the riders, the working class, then so be it. It does suck to hit the trails when they arent groomed, i agree but everyone deserves a day off.....even the trail from the groomer.:nono::nono::nono::nono:

OK ...Let's look at it this way $25 trail pass,$80 for a lift ticket,or $40+ for green fees. At least we know where the money is going for something we all love to do. It's time to put this one to bed. Let it snow so we can all get on with the season.

Just a side note though...Would really like some more local support for the club. So keep posting that list Barry, of snowmobiler friendly businesses.

sledheded

Reaction score
$15.00 last year,$25.00 this year,$35-$50 next year???when is it going to stop?Possibly when it is more economical to go to Mexico for two weeks?? Just puttin out there...

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$15.00 last year,$25.00 this year,$35-$50 next year???when is it going to stop?Possibly when it is more economical to go to Mexico for two weeks?? Just puttin out there...

:PDT_kap::PDT_kap:

I F**KIN GIVE UP DEALiING WITH IDIOTS i hope it snows soon so i can get out and ride and not deal with some of the sh*t on here.

comes down to this --you know what its guna cost either pay it or stay home

Im dissapointed in some peoples responce to this decision i really thought there would be more support.

sledheded

Reaction score
:PDT_kap::PDT_kap:

I F**KIN GIVE UP DEALiING WITH IDIOTS i hope it snows soon so i can get out and ride and not deal with some of the sh*t on here.

comes down to this --you know what its guna cost either pay it or stay home

Im dissapointed in some peoples responce to this decision i really thought there would be more support.

THe house you live in and the shed you put your precious sled in came from bib trees, think about who"s the idiot here

woodym7

Reaction score
ok boys first off this is hilarious Dez your right, and you wont get thru to them......I promise, but seriously guys give it a rest.. All this to save ten bucks its not worth it, go, pay and enjoy !!!!!!!!!! Its worth every $$$$$$$ look at the pics later and tell me im wrong.

on a side note

In a former professional I know a golf course that actually raised their rates to sustain there income. Less traffic less wear and tear and quess what same revenue, but less expenses!!!!

Just Saying!:beer::beer::nono::beer::beer:

Erin H

Reaction score
For those of you that did not or could not talk to to me at the ASA show about pass increases this is what has happened to us---Mcbride area.
Our club has never been a money motivated club as there were a number of grants av. to help out with our expenses. Late this summer all of the big money grants were pulled from the groups that supported us, hence they in turn had to deny the club the funds that we rely on to make your(sledders) visit to our hills an injoyable one.
Our club is 100% volunteer and in the past a number of us have pulled money out of our pockets to do things, but not this year as we thought going into this year that we had our club back on it's feet and a small amount of money in the bank to cover our costs and then the above happened. We as a club were caught off guard with no warning of this happening.
Why do we not have any money in the bank for a rainy day such as this??? As a managed trail system such as the ones we have that we groom and charge a fee to use, we were always not allowed to make a profit off of our users(legislated), hence no money in the bank.
The grant money was for parking lot snow removal, brushing of the trails and trail upkeep. Propane and cabin maintance were covered off by the club and donations.
Where is your trail user fee going?
$17.00 goes to grooming the trails and replacement of a $140,000 groomer
$ 2.68 goes to the govt. HST
$ 1.00 goes to the CAA for the buck a head program
$ 4.32 goes to the club now for the above and many more programs that
we now have to pay for.
As president of the club I am always av. to any of our users if they would like an explanation of our spending or our costs.
To those of you that have been so generous with your donations, a big thank you to each and everyone one of you, it has been because of your help that our club was able to to get to this point.
Now that we know where the money is not going to be coming from(govt. grants) as a club we will be out there looking and applying for all the small grants that we can find in order to keep the fees as low as possible.
Thanks for your support and sorry for any inconvience that this may cause. We hope you will still support us this year and the years to come.
Barry
250-569-0226

Good post Barry and really sorry to hear about the cash situation of running your club.
You speak about Gov't grants...are you aware of the 'Community Gaming Grants' available? My club (Black Tusk snowmobile club) based out of Squamish has been successful with these types of grants over the last 5 years. $15,000 for our trail program each year for the last 5 years!! I'd be happy to share the details with you.

Erin Hart
BC Snowmobile Federation - VP

heyjude

RIP Judy
Reaction score
Website
www.mountainhavenbb.vpweb.com
Good post Barry and really sorry to hear about the cash situation of running your club.
You speak about Gov't grants...are you aware of the 'Community Gaming Grants' available? My club (Black Tusk snowmobile club) based out of Squamish has been successful with these types of grants over the last 5 years. $15,000 for our trail program each year for the last 5 years!! I'd be happy to share the details with you.

Erin Hart
BC Snowmobile Federation - VP

Thanks, Erin. Barry will probably contact you via PM when he gets back home from Saskatoon.

Dean10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Barry,

Our group has always appreciated the amenities you guys provide, and even with all the senseless vandalism, you seem to always keep the heat working in those cabins.

We will gladly pay our share to keep things running,

Thank you

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Drink 2 less beers and your pocket will be even. I will be there and enjoy every minute I spend riding. Good to see less people going, so it will be less crowded in the hills. My 2 cents PS going over to the donate forum now. Thanks Judy and BB.

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is what it is, the fees are just what it takes to make it all happen and nobody is making any large sums of money from it. You either accept the fees or sell the sled and take up tiddlywinks, pretty cheap sport there. You think sledding is expensive try take up big game fishing, now there's a sport that'll put you in the poor house.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we have been riding more and more in montana, its like half the price riding down their to up in your area, we always plan one or two rides a year at mcbride, but i think this year, now even more exspensive, i think we will just stay in montana

you figure fuel for the truck, sleds, food, logging, night life, you would think your town would fork over the bill to draw the people their

i buy a year pass in montana for 50 bucks, fuel is less than 20 bucks a sled, booze is 2 bucks a drink, do this 50 days and it adds up more than you think

we are finding that over the years the grommer is becoming more and more a pain in the butt, big maintence bills for the little pleasure they offer. ride the few miles of rought and enjoy after

Poleman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do the greenies and tree huggers that use the back country have to pay the $ 1.00 to the CAA for the buck a head program? Is it a voluntary program? Just curious and yes I hate tree huggers!

Ridin High

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You know I'm not one to usually post one the increase in trail passes. But i do have to say it is very disgusting on how people threaten or dish out how this and that should not be happening. When one really sits back and figures out how much they have invested in there sleds, trucks and trailers. Not to add their gear, or that added bag on the back of their sled full of beer. I'm not labeling one person, or saying sledders are drunks, what im saying is people are self centered and forget about operating costs and overhead within a company or oganization. If you are going to complain then you better have a legit reason to. If for example the grooming schedule is poor and said services with an increase, then complain! but for now, go to the garage sit on your sleds make motor noises if you choose and wait for the snow. I can only thank all the volunteers/workers for their time in maintaining our trails and fighting for the ones that dont read closure signs. Without them, we may be down a whole different alley then what we are walking down now!

Dean10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I tipped a girl $10 for bringing our food and drinks on time last night......

gm3d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It really needs to snow! The inmates are restless! I can't believe all the whining about a fee increase! Think of EVERYTHING else that has gone up. Like one person said. Two less beers and you got it. Small sacrifice! Cheers!

Top Bottom