Trail Pass Increases!

j.c.higgins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heard rumours of $5 to $10 increases to trail passes for most or maybe all riding areas in BC. Increased operating costs, lack Govt. funding for clubs, CAC donation and HST are some of the contributing factors.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they are all now $20 a day.....I was told that today. also I heard year passes are all the same so guys cant go buy the cheep pass.... like revy and get the discount everwhere else........the money goes to a great job of grooming the trails so dont be a cheep a$$. and for the guys that take a short cut to miss the money collectors at the beginning of the trails but still ride on the groom trail........pay up and dont be so cheep! yes money is tough now a days, but it goes to a good cause!

just my 2 cents!

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I personally would pay $20.+ a day, as long as the trails are groomed on a regular basis.
Really, what is a 1/2 tank of gas worth, to keep these ppl funded, and our area's open???

Just my $0.02 :D

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanx for the heads up, 20$ is easier to deal with. Less issue for the tole booth. They wont need so many 5's:beer:

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am a firm believer of the user pay philosophy. I know what it costs to maintain the trails and the equipment that maintains it. I don't have a problem with the increase

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont mind payin as long as the service is there. If they dont want to groom I dont want to pay.

Brian D.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree if you use then pay. Here in Sk it is put right on the bill when you bet your plate for your sled. The way I understand it the gov. then distributes the money to the clubs to help maintain trails etc. This is good because all clubs get some money to operate. The only thing I noticed last year was when we went to certain areas, a lot of the trails from one club were not groomed. Now, does this club still get their share of the pot? This is the only thing that rips me a little. I have to pay for trails that are supposed to be looked after and are not. I'm not sure how it works, maybe that club would only get funding for actual miles maintained. Any how, it is nice to go anywhere in the province and as long as you have your sled registered, you know its helping out all clubs. It also saves the headache of having to search out and buy trail passes.

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would pay more also as long as it goes to the local clubs and organizations and not the damn government:mad:, but you know what I'd like to see more of.......people that respect the groomed trail for everyone and keep it realtively flat so everyone can enjoy it and not break your back, sick of seeing guys ripping up the trail like there's a naked chick at the end that wants to do you know what to them and the last guy up loses, (long rant). so the guys that have a little later start in the day already have to ride a trail with 2 foot deep whoops at 9 in the morning.

94fordguy

Wow

Don't get me wrong as I am a firm believer in pay to play and paying for our own... but that's a LOT of dough they are taking in... for that much that trail had better be more pristine than a dream could ever hope to be!:eek: How many people ride out of the Boulder lot on an average Saturday? 500? That would be $10K in revenue for 1 DAY. Maybe this is an unbased feeling as I don't fully know how the Canadian system works, but that seems like a huge operating base to me.

Down here in Wa. we pay $33 per year per sled for licenses and snow park permits as well as a few cents of our gas tax and that money goes for the grooming - usually twice a week all season.

Next time I make a trip to Revy I will GLADLY pay the toll and support the local economy, but that sure seems PRICEY!:eek:

Am I missing something here? That's roughly $500 a season just for trail passes for someone who rides 30 times a year right?:eek:

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow

Don't get me wrong as I am a firm believer in pay to play and paying for our own... but that's a LOT of dough they are taking in... for that much that trail had better be more pristine than a dream could ever hope to be!:eek: How many people ride out of the Boulder lot on an average Saturday? 500? That would be $10K in revenue for 1 DAY. Maybe this is an unbased feeling as I don't fully know how the Canadian system works, but that seems like a huge operating base to me.

Down here in Wa. we pay $33 per year per sled for licenses and snow park permits as well as a few cents of our gas tax and that money goes for the grooming - usually twice a week all season.

Next time I make a trip to Revy I will GLADLY pay the toll and support the local economy, but that sure seems PRICEY!:eek:

Am I missing something here? That's roughly $500 a season just for trail passes for someone who rides 30 times a year right?:eek:

that is why I buy a year pass for $175 for sicamous! then it only cost $15 to go to revy.....you get $5 off anywhere in BC

94fordguy

that is why I buy a year pass for $175 for sicamous! then it only cost $15 to go to revy.....you get $5 off anywhere in BC

That's a lot better, still a bit steep....

Do you know what the income basis is? I believe there is something on the order of 30,000 registered sleds in Wa. which puts us at about $1million dollars gross income towards winter rec before the gas tax contribution... any guesses on how many sleds registered in B.C.?

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow

Thats canada my friend...were taxed and taxed on the tax, but our beer is strong and we do love winter.........so everyone who rides just accepts that it's just part of what we have to pay for what we love to do..........I just wish more of it actually went to the clubs and not to the gov't coffers!

stickman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How much do you pay for a round of golf every weekend? This is pretty cheap compared to that.
User pay is how the groomer operates.

Xtremist

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have no problem paying for a trail pass when the trail is GROOMED!!! it seems that whenever im out there on the weekends the trails are HORRIBLE, and i agree if they are taking in that much $ then they need to groom more. moguls take forever to go through seeing as how im not a fan of goin over em at 100 mph and wrecking my sleds. my 2 centz

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wow

As you can see we are VERY different here in Canada. US supports the snowmobile systems. Some states gov. does the grooming. Money comes from a number of sources such as licience fees and FUEL TAX.
We wish we could have the best of your system. Canada sucks for Government fininacial support.
Canada snowmobilers ride from the support of themselves and many hours of volunteer support

sub zero

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

owls is 195 this yr. and the most expensive club in bc to join. i bought a membership last year. not going to happen this year. revy is 125. hunters is 125 to. owls head better smarten up before they scare off all there members. just my 2cents. sorry hunters went to 130 must be the hst bs.

Timber_12

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I wish that my local trail wasn't bothered to be groomed. It wasn't when I started riding in the mountains. I learned how to ride a pounded out trail. a couple benefits of not grooming:

1. Less volunteer hours wasted on people that don't pay.

2. Less people willing to pound through 30km of pounded out trail. Why do I really like this benefit? That many less people tracking up the hills, tracking up the meadows, leaving trash on themountains and trails, that much less pollution, and that much less attention from greenpeace hippies.

3. There wouldn't be any more whining/bickering/fueding/crying/b*tching from everyone about wether they have to pay or people that don't pay.

In the last two years I've rode on the trail it's been decent once. I'll still buy my trail pass this year, but I'll still wish they didn't bother grooming it.

Top Bottom