Track Porting

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Went to Greggs Dist today and bought three 1" 1/4 hole saws so I can port my track .The ones I got have threads inside rather than a bit that would slide into a drill.Can someone tell me if I bought the wrong ones or if there is an adapter so I can use my drill.Should have my sled back next week so we can have our track porting beer drinkin Moderators meeting! LOL
HELP!
catmando!

Last edited:

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is an arbor that holds the bit that you need to screw the hole saw to....know any electricians? They should have one.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is that something a guy can pick up at crappy tire?
catmando!

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You made the mistake of buying a good hole saw Crappy tire may have an arbor but it may come with a saw. if you go by an Acklands or house of fools you should be able to find one.Home depot and revy selll them I think, they'd be with the greenlee stuff. careful though, 2 sizes.

Last edited:

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Catmando If you have a Bolt Supply House in the chuck, they will have a Milwakee arbour that fits 1 type that Greggs sells. I would just get the Milwakee set up complete, decent price and good qaulity.

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you guys drill with the hole saw? I have done porting for friends and myself but was scared that the hole saw bit would grab and rip the cords. I have done my porting by heating the hole saw until it is glowing and push it through. This way it melts the rubber and burns the cords so they don't fray and bonds the rubber. It is a stinky job, (outdoors recommended). It takes about 1 hour and forty five min. to 2 hours. Just my :twocents: Happy porting.:D

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Catmando If you have a Bolt Supply House in the chuck, they will have a Milwakee arbour that fits 1 type that Greggs sells. I would just get the Milwakee set up complete, decent price and good qaulity.

Well at least I bought the good one,It is a Milwakee hole saw,will drop by house of tools tommoro and complete my mission,Thx!
catmando!

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
The 1 1/4" hole saw will require a 7/16" arbor... Home Depot has a Ridgid for $14.99...... 'Catmando' To bad we are not close to one another cause I have all sizes to 4 1/2".
Could one use a small torch to burn the hole edges after one cuts rather than heat the cut out saw ??

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
The 1 1/4" hole saw will require a 7/16" arbor... Home Depot has a Ridgid for $14.99...... 'Catmando' To bad we are not close to one another cause I have all sizes to 4 1/2".
Could one use a small torch to burn the hole edges after one cuts rather than heat the cut out saw ??
SILLY KAT, TWIX ARE FOR KIDS........ I HAVE A WHOLE SET OF HOLES SAWS AND MANY DIFFERNENT ARBORS... YOU WANT TO BORROW?? MY 670X ENGINE MAY NOT BE READY UNTIL AFTER I'M BACK FROM MEXICO, BUT IF NEEDED AND THE BUGS IS IN, WE COULD STILL DOO THIS "HOLE" NITE???

Last edited by a moderator:

cey800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Run the saw in reverse. It won't pull any chords and also melts the edges in the process.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
SILLY KAT, TWIX ARE FOR KIDS........ I HAVE A WHOLE SET OF HOLES SAWS AND MANY DIFFERNENT ARBORS... YOU WANT TO BORROW?? MY 670X ENGINE MAY NOT BE READY UNTIL AFTER I'M BACK FROM MEXICO, BUT IF NEEDED AND THE BUGS IS IN, WE COULD STILL DOO THIS "HOLE" NITE???

Were heading to Mcbride the same weekend your in Mexico,I'm hoping to have it done by then but you never know.I got lots to do when I get my sled home and I'm sure it wont all get done.
catmando!
Thanks for the offer on the arbour but I got the saws,May as well get the Arbour.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Thanks Bigfoot,will go pick one up tommoro.
catmando!

bigdawg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont think that you want to use a hole saw it will bugger the treads in the track. I biult my own, Piece of 1 1/4 pipe 1/4 drill bit a nut (to centre drill bit in the pipe) welded it up and the grinded the pipe down so it is sharp and start drilling this will coterize the treads and rubber together as you are porting ( one hell of a smoke show )
where are located I may lend you my if you want?

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It may be a week or two but I will probably set it up at my shop in the west end and we could do a few sleds and drink a couple beers.I will post something on here when I get my sled back.Bunnyman and summitric were talking about doing there sleds at the same time.Anyone else interested just let me know when I start a thread.Lots of room and pretty good ventalation so we could likely do two at a time!Thanks for the offer bigdawg,may take you up on it if your available!
catmando!

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As mentioned, run in reverse and torch the holes after your done just to seal it and burn off nay loose cords.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I will for surely be in town the weekend of the 17th, however i have a prior engagement the saturday night. so let me know when this party is going down and I'll try to swing by!!

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will for surely be in town the weekend of the 17th, however i have a prior engagement the saturday night. so let me know when this party is going down and I'll try to swing by!!

Your not track porting the Explorer are you?:eek:

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Too many holes,it will sink!,Will let you know Tyler!
catmando!

Top Bottom