Track Porting

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone out there in Snow & Mud land has done track porting. Thinking of porting my track, I have seen some examples on the Doo talk forum and it seemed to be a simple procedure. Just wondering if anyone has done the who, what, when, where and why's of track porting:confused:
Thanks,

Billy Boy:cool:

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have ported the track on my sled, main reason was to shed some of the snow out of the skid. I went 2 hole on each rib. 3/4 inch holes.:D

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I'd be interested in anyone who has had experience with this as well, I just picked me up a brand new 159" track that's gonna need porting.

Just wondering if anyone out there in Snow & Mud land has done track porting. Thinking of porting my track, I have seen some examples on the Doo talk forum and it seemed to be a simple procedure. Just wondering if anyone has done the who, what, when, where and why's of track porting:confused:
Thanks,

Billy Boy:cool:

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Becarful. ONe guy on snowest ported his track last season and it is screwed after the season. Make sure you do not use 2 big of a hole saw and i have herd you heat the p*ss out of them and then it cuts through a lot cleaner and faster. Just a though for you guys.

Last edited by a moderator:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Hey Bugs: I Have The Hole Saws, And When You Use Them The Heat Of The Teeth Cutting, Melts The Rubber Into The Cords And Seals Them Up... I Have 3 Or 4 Sizes.... Gonna Doo The 670x Summit This Year(151
" Track)..... 2 Holes On The Inside.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Thanks, for the offer and we will do this project once the track is mounted. I want to do the 156 track as well....it will be a fun project.
Cheers.

Hey Bugs: I Have The Hole Saws, And When You Use Them The Heat Of The Teeth Cutting, Melts The Rubber Into The Cords And Seals Them Up... I Have 3 Or 4 Sizes.... Gonna Doo The 670x Summit This Year(151
" Track)..... 2 Holes On The Inside.

Big Grump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Thumper,

Lost ported his track on his 159".

xtremegriz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ported mine with an 1 1/4" hole saw. 2 holes every second rib. I also ground the teeth off the holesaw so that it would melt its way through instead of ripping. Worked really good with nice clean holes.

Attachments

• track holes 039.jpg
    track holes 039.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 358

britt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was planning on porting my track with a 1 1/4" hole saw but I was going to do it every rib. Maybe I have to do it every other rib if I go 1 1/4" or if I decide to do it every rib go with a smaller hole:confused: Any ideas on this out there???

Britt

britt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One other question; was also thinking of taking out every other track clip any advise on how to take the clips off? and is this a smart idea:confused: Thanks for the reply.

Britt

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I ported mine with an 1 1/4" hole saw. 2 holes every second rib. I also ground the teeth off the holesaw so that it would melt its way through instead of ripping. Worked really good with nice clean holes.

VERY NICE JOB.... WHY WOULD YOU NOT CUT 2 HOLES ON EVERY RIB??? I'VE SEEN LOTS THAT WOULD GO 2 HOLES, THEN 3 HOLES, THEN 2 HOLES, ETC. OR JUST 2 HOLES ON EVERY RIB. MY STOCK 162" ON MY 1000RT HAS 2 HOLES EVERY RIB!!!

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Nice job xtremegriz, I think I will go with every rib.
Didn't khow about grinding the teeth, great tip, thanks.

xtremegriz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
VERY NICE JOB.... WHY WOULD YOU NOT CUT 2 HOLES ON EVERY RIB??? I'VE SEEN LOTS THAT WOULD GO 2 HOLES, THEN 3 HOLES, THEN 2 HOLES, ETC. OR JUST 2 HOLES ON EVERY RIB. MY STOCK 162" ON MY 1000RT HAS 2 HOLES EVERY RIB!!!

A guy could definitely go two holes every rib, but I heard on another forum that guys tracks were stretching with too many holes. So to play it safe I did every other rib to start. I'll probably complete the job when I have time.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Been hearing the same thing about stretching, too many holes makes it weak. I will stick with two holes per rib.
I looked a a track (used) that had three holes per rib plus one on each outer side, so that's 5 holes per rib. It realy looked weak.

A guy could definitely go two holes every rib, but I heard on another forum that guys tracks were stretching with too many holes. So to play it safe I did every other rib to start. I'll probably complete the job when I have time.

tekim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have ported the track on my sled, main reason was to shed some of the snow out of the skid. I went 2 hole on each rib. 3/4 inch holes.:D

Thought I would throw my calculator into this mess:

Assume 162" track @ 3" pitch = 54 ribs.

If you port EVERY RIB @ 3/4" = 47.69 in2 total area lost

If you port EVERY OTHER RIB @ 1 1/4" = 66.15 in2 total area lost

According to these calculations, by going bigger, and less often, you INCREASE the surface area lost by 28%. I'm not going to guess as to the density of the track, but you can see that for every 1lb you were going to lose by porting every rib 3/4", you would lose 1.28 lbs by porting 1 1/4" every other rib.

Some food for thought.

tekim:D

Lost

RIP Fallen Angel
Reaction score
Well bunny if you think porting your track sounds like fun you must like the smell of burning rubber. 2 holes every pitch 1-1/4 ( 1-1/2 if you just grab it with out putting on glasses) don't waste your time grinding teeth or heating up the bit. I have done lots pol and doo not one failer. My 04 159 three years 4000 Km. was the one with 1-1/2 holes in it. Time from conception to completion 2 beers 1 scotch and lots of rubber smoke for safety sake you don't want to breath in the rubber smoke so fire up a big fatty (cigar)and breath through it . The only reason that I didn't go with three holes is the idlers would hit the third hole I thought that might set up a vibration :twocents: make up a template to locate the holes so that idlers miss holes and predrill a guide hole before hitting it with the hole saw

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
The only thing I wasn't clear on with this post...was there an invitation in there to bring wobbly pops and big fat cigars to your place and we do it together...lol...
Well bunny if you think porting your track sounds like fun you must like the smell of burning rubber. 2 holes every pitch 1-1/4 ( 1-1/2 if you just grab it with out putting on glasses) don't waste your time grinding teeth or heating up the bit. I have done lots pol and doo not one failer. My 04 159 three years 4000 Km. was the one with 1-1/2 holes in it. Time from conception to completion 2 beers 1 scotch and lots of rubber smoke for safety sake you don't want to breath in the rubber smoke so fire up a big fatty (cigar)and breath through it . The only reason that I didn't go with three holes is the idlers would hit the third hole I thought that might set up a vibration :twocents: make up a template to locate the holes so that idlers miss holes and predrill a guide hole before hitting it with the hole saw

cey800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rather than grinding the teeth off a holes saw, run the drill in reverse. Works very well and also adds alot of heat to the saw.:thumbsup2:

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did my ZR 136" as well. 2 then 1 pattern. Lost almost 2 lbs of rotating mass and noticed that spool up was quicker when the throttle was pressed. One thing I did as well was to spray a little silicone spray on the track and saw just as it was cutting in. Smoked a bit but really helped with a smooth, clean cut.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think I might have to punch a bunch of holes in my new track.Better yet,Everyone bring there sleds to my shop and we will smoke the place out.Lets have a TrackPorting Party!Got a big beer Fridge!
catmando!

Top Bottom