Track Porting

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I'll Be Ready In About 3 Weeks I Think And Hopefully The Bugsgirl Too... Get That Shop Ready Kitty Man, And I Think Tg Will Come Help For Beers And Burnt Rubber Smoke........ Yehaw, A Smokedown.....

and to learn... geez, your making me sound like some sort of addict!

that is IF I'm in town, sounds like I'm shipping out Tuesday

tekim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and to learn... geez, your making me sound like some sort of addict!

that is IF I'm in town, sounds like I'm shipping out Tuesday

So how has the new training and job been going? What part of lovely Alberta do you get to enjoy for the next 6 weeks?

(did you sense that bit of sarcasm in my voice? I need to get home...)

tekim :D

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
So how has the new training and job been going? What part of lovely Alberta do you get to enjoy for the next 6 weeks?

(did you sense that bit of sarcasm in my voice? I need to get home...)

tekim :D

I've been in training since friday going out tomorrow (Tuesday) somewhere just west of my house somewheres so it will be a day trip, I think thats how they are planning to start me out, then I might be on a project in Slave Lake for the rest of the Winter.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Tyler what are you doing. I take it you have a new job. Congrats it takes alot to pull the pin on a old job for a new. AHH to be young again. Hope your not there all winter but im sure your girlfriend will spend your money for ya. GOOD LUCK MR.

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just finished porting my track I drilled 3 holes every other rib 1 1/4" in diameter. There is a 1" space between the holes and also a 1" space to the inside edge of the track. I drilled the hole with an 1 1/4" hole saw then coterized the loose thread with a butane torch (stinky process). Now I hope the track will not self destruct this season, if it does I will be putting on a new track next summer:confused:

Billy Boy:cool:

wangdoo800

Reaction score
Another helpful hint is to place a spring on the pilot bit to remove the plug after you drill.It saves a lot of time.I didnt bother grinding down the teeth,you will still get a nice cut with the heat.Build atemplate and watch the placement of the holes with your rear idlers.

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After I finished coterizing the holes my poor dog's eyes where watering as was mine and the stink was enough to make both of us puke. I did'nt care how cold it was outside up came the garage door for about 20 minutes to air the place out. I was very lucky the smell did not go into the house or I would not be posting this story.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Atta Boy Billy, boy smells are always suppose to stay outside...so says the wife
After I finished coterizing the holes my poor dog's eyes where watering as was mine and the stink was enough to make both of us puke. I did'nt care how cold it was outside up came the garage door for about 20 minutes to air the place out. I was very lucky the smell did not go into the house or I would not be posting this story.

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good thing she was working that day not only would I not be posting because of broken bones I would be duking it out with the dog for space in the dog house. On second thought I would not be duking it out with the dog I would be living in the dog house(at least it is insulated) because the dog would have free run of the house!! Damn Dog!!

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Got the tools,just been busy getting all the bugs out after our first weekend and then I blew my chaincase and once I get the nos working I will look into the porting,If youguys want to set something up let me know as I got lots of room in my shop!
catmando!

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I'm not going ot get to it untils after Christmas now...same as you, still working out bugs...funny, bugsbunny.
If the offer is still open then I probably will take you up on it.
Have a "GREAT" ride this weekend.
If youguys want to set something up let me know as I got lots of room in my shop!
catmando!

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Offer is still open,Looks like after new years for me,Will get something going when your ready!
catmando!

WRK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have ported a few tracks, pic up rpm due to less rotating mass. every pound of rotating mass is equal to adding 10 hp to the same sled without cutting weight, or so they say. I would say that dropping the weight off the track is really the only true advantage. All this talk about better flotation, better cooling, and less snow in the skid is so minimal that it should not be mentioned. I have tried everything and ride a least 50 days a year in the mountains. The only real advantage to porting has been picking up a couple hundred of RPM. I think once you peak 200hp on a sled it really does not matter unles you need to win jackson hole shoot out and then when you port your track with 200 plus hp at elevation it begins to stretch alot and causes other issues.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have ported a few tracks, pic up rpm due to less rotating mass. every pound of rotating mass is equal to adding 10 hp to the same sled without cutting weight, or so they say. I would say that dropping the weight off the track is really the only true advantage. All this talk about better flotation, better cooling, and less snow in the skid is so minimal that it should not be mentioned. I have tried everything and ride a least 50 days a year in the mountains. The only real advantage to porting has been picking up a couple hundred of RPM. I think once you peak 200hp on a sled it really does not matter unles you need to win jackson hole shoot out and then when you port your track with 200 plus hp at elevation it begins to stretch alot and causes other issues.

Thanks for replying to this thread,Chances of even watching Jackson Hole shootout are pretty slim for me.See what happens,may be better off on a diet!
catmando!

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
ahha in my science class yesterday we watched the jackson hole hill climb dvd..ahah the laws of gravity,,,abd there were lots of cats rollingdown the hiill...i guess they dont always land on there feet

Top Bottom