Thinking of custom truck deck

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been thinking about instead of a sled deck, taking the box off my dodge and building a deck. I figure the big advantages would be it's only rougly 3'6" off the ground instead of a 6' sled deck because my truck has 8" lift and 38"s. Not to mention, a deck is about what 400lbs, and the box tailgate and bumper roughly 600lbs? A deck would maybe weight 500lbs? Right now, I couldn't put a deck on and pull a 2 place with 4 guys in the cab, I would be overloaded for sure. But saving like 500lbs would mean a lot and the weight is nice and low. Not to mention, I can't think of any disadvantage, anything would be so much easier. The only bad thing I can think of is swapping the box and deck off, but I figure leave it on all winter until sledding is over so only twice a year. Not to mention, considering I am likely going to a 174" and my box is 6'4" having a longer platform would be nice.

Haven't seen to many people do this. If anyone has or has pics it would be great. Really thinking about it.

Thunderr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been thinking of doing the same, except buying a truck specifically for sledding/toys.

I sure do like the look of the new Marathon deck, but $4000.00 ish? add a couple grand +- and voila.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yea the price of a deck hurts to. I figure for even $1000 in material I could have one heck of a nice deck and just get it line-x. And even some storage space that is a lot easier to use then under a sled deck.

Can't really see much of a downside of doing this :confused:

trailrider

Reaction score
One thing you might want to do is call your Insurance company about the flat deck modification. I bought an older ford with a flatdeck ,did not think to tell them about the deck got in an accident and they refused to cover me because of modifications to truck. Just a thought!!!!$$$$

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no different than putting a welding deck on your truck

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yea WTH is wrong with a deck? Nothing but metal and lights, not for work or anything. I can see a welding deck because it's for work, and your hauling extra gas, diesel, and other hazoudous gasses. Insurance is retarded. One day i'm going to have to update my policy and tell them about my lift and other goodies.....but don't want to know how badly they are going to ding me in premiums.

One concern i've though about is, if I go with a 8' deck, it would be getting tough to tow a trailer. I mean a hitch extension is fine for a tiny 2 place. But I still need to tow a 12k bobcat trailer once in a while, and hitch extension is not an option. And a reciever built into the deck would get into a lot of weight and time for it i'd think mmmm. Have to measure, but I guess I could make the deck like 7'6" or so, then have an extension when hauling sleds.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
just have a hinged extension on the deck..... that way when you need to tow a heavy trailer you can flip the extension up out of the way, but you still have the option of a longer deck when required....

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Mines been pretty good,covers just about covers everything,Im surprised more people dont do it,Really handy too if someone slams there door into it!
:d catmando!:d

Attachments

• P5190055.jpg
    P5190055.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 77
  • P9200008.jpg
    P9200008.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 70
  • P5230001.jpg
    P5230001.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 66
  • PC010002.jpg
    PC010002.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 77

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great topic, I've been thinking about this for years and even more now that my truck is 10 years old and needs bodywork to get rid of rust.

Trax that setup is awesome, flip up sides, ramp underneath - nice job!

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is exactly what I want. Except i'd probably want to add a toolbox or two for some storage room. I don't want the big price tag of the custom ones so will probably have to build myself.

Catmando it looks like that ford was a short box before? Did you run into any issues putting a long deck on and still using reciever or did the deck have a new one?

If anyone has pics of building one it would be great. I can't visualize the best way to attach it to the frame or anything. And how to build it with enough room to put a ramp in.

Plus want to do it because if I ever want to pull a gooseneck I could, not possible with a box on my truck because of the height.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is exactly what I want. Except i'd probably want to add a toolbox or two for some storage room. I don't want the big price tag of the custom ones so will probably have to build myself.

Catmando it looks like that ford was a short box before? Did you run into any issues putting a long deck on and still using reciever or did the deck have a new one?

If anyone has pics of building one it would be great. I can't visualize the best way to attach it to the frame or anything. And how to build it with enough room to put a ramp in.

Plus want to do it because if I ever want to pull a gooseneck I could, not possible with a box on my truck because of the height.

the box will have 4 or 6 large mounting points with holes. great for mounting so you are able to remove it aswell

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the box will have 4 or 6 large mounting points with holes. great for mounting so you are able to remove it aswell

Yea I am guessing it's usually done with big u-bolts? And a good idea to have rubber or something inbetween the frame of the deck and truck right?

Looking at kijiji a bit for used ones, the odd ones are dang cheap but not sure if it's worth it to try and make a used one work or build from scratch.

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i might suggest to hit fernie snow with a pm, he has also removed his box and put a custom deck on his last two trucks. really nice looking deck on his current rig. sides fold up for regular everyday use, and drop down to carry two sleds. ramp slides underneath.

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
Great topic, I've been thinking about this for years and even more now that my truck is 10 years old and needs bodywork to get rid of rust.

Trax that setup is awesome, flip up sides, ramp underneath - nice job!

I wish we could take credit for that product, but it is actually built by a company called Silverlakes Manufacturing. It is company I came across in the never ending search for new product to bring to market. Anyway I seen this thread and thought of this deck. This not a one off custom deck so I'm thinking they are not going to cost an arm and a leg. If anyone is interested here is a link to their website.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yea it is a nice deck, really interested to know the cost. Looked at SWS suprised they are only around $2000.

ponyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
HEY CYLE , i could custom fit this to your truck , with storage boxes , under deck fuel tank , custom lites , ramp , head ache rack . ( no checker plate :nono: ) last pic is what i use for sledding , doubles as a welding truck LOL

Attachments

• DSCF2225.jpg
    DSCF2225.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCF2226.jpg
    DSCF2226.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCF2227.jpg
    DSCF2227.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 49
  • DSCF2230.jpg
    DSCF2230.jpg