Stupid question? Throw away bolts

inside

Reaction score
This may sound stupid but what percentage of guys use new bolts? I am talking the ones that hold the helix in your secondary or the rollers in, I guess they are cap screws. I would think that maybe you could clean them up, locktite and reuse. What the story?

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
re-used mine, no problem but some guys said they changed to hex head so they could take off without doing the jackshaft thing.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yup best mod ever. get rid of those stock screws and replace with a high grade hex + loctite
You mean 2nd best mod....the BEST mod in that area is the Doo Doctor removable floating secondary. I have it and it's sweeeet. (But ya...I reused the old helix bolts several times)

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We replaced the secondary roller pins (pivot bolts) when replacing the rollers. They actually wear on one side enough to not mic the same as a new one.

BIG HEAD

Reaction score
This may sound stupid but what percentage of guys use new bolts? I am talking the ones that hold the helix in your secondary or the rollers in, I guess they are cap screws. I would think that maybe you could clean them up, locktite and reuse. What the story?

Torx cap screws can be damaged on the head easily when removing. When you reuse them, they usually go back in easy but when you remove them again....bad. You can get them from many sorces and not pay 6 bucks ea. at BRP. For a few bucks, it is worth the peace of mind that the bolts are not stretched and can be torqued properly again.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heard hex head bolts should be grade 5, 25mm long, 8mm width and 1.25 pitch.

inside

Reaction score
I heard hex head bolts should be grade 5, 25mm long, 8mm width and 1.25 pitch.

Oh, I went to John Deere and took one of the old bolts. They are 10.9 witch is the metric equivilant of a grade 8. I guess too strong in that application should be all right.

BIG HEAD

Reaction score
I used 9.8. Do you know if the hex heads are going to hit on the bearing retainer when the clutch shifts out?

inside

Reaction score
I used 9.8. Do you know if the hex heads are going to hit on the bearing retainer when the clutch shifts out?

I also was wondering if they are for sure not going to cause a problem or if "I don't think they are a problem"

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had mine apart last night and noticed that it is different from the 08, There are no internal threads in the jackshaft to use a helix spring compressor? Anyway I took 2 of the torx out and installed 2 long bolts with nuts. Then removed the other t torx and slowly backed off the nuts to let the spring pressure off. I did not bother going to hex head bolts as I had to have the whole shaft out to install the long bolts. What kind of spring tool is used on the newer style? I should have drilled the gear side straight through while I had it out and then I could have used a long threaded rod, right through the entire shaft to use as a spring compressor, with washers and nuts of course.

Next time its apart I will do this. The hardest tasks were the exhaust can springs and the airbox, it was a tight squeeze out and in.

BIG HEAD

Reaction score
I also was wondering if they are for sure not going to cause a problem or if "I don't think they are a problem"

If you push the inner half all the way in the bolt head can hit if they are turned the right way. I don't think the secondary shifts all that way out by the look of the belt marks on the sheave.

BIG HEAD

Reaction score
Had mine apart last night and noticed that it is different from the 08, There are no internal threads in the jackshaft to use a helix spring compressor? Anyway I took 2 of the torx out and installed 2 long bolts with nuts. Then removed the other t torx and slowly backed off the nuts to let the spring pressure off. I did not bother going to hex head bolts as I had to have the whole shaft out to install the long bolts. What kind of spring tool is used on the newer style? I should have drilled the gear side straight through while I had it out and then I could have used a long threaded rod, right through the entire shaft to use as a spring compressor, with washers and nuts of course.

Next time its apart I will do this. The hardest tasks were the exhaust can springs and the airbox, it was a tight squeeze out and in.

What holds the secondary belt deflection adjuster in?

inside

Reaction score

I got a friends 08 here and it has the threads in the inside, he has got the black plastic adjuster threaded in there.

xpsledneck

Reaction score
I got a friends 08 here and it has the threads in the inside, he has got the black plastic adjuster threaded in there.

your friend should upgrade to the metal adjuster for 2 reasons
1:they tend to brake and wreck the belt
2: the metal one makes the belt replacement easy and you dont need to set the belt deflection every time you change the belt. IE uses the tool like the old clutchs to replace the belt.

Top Bottom