Stubborn Primary on M7

MacheteMike

Reaction score
Anyone have some creative ideas for getting a stubborn primary off?
Filled the post with oil and stuck a 4' breaker bar on the puller after maxing out a 1/2" impact, and still she wouldn't pop off. If it doesn't come off by morning it's getting the torch!!

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Easy with the torch, cast aluminum (clutch) doesn't like extreme heat, use a small propane torch if you gotta heat it. If you can, try using some penetrating oil around the shaft. When's the last time you took the primary off? Chances are a little bit of rust is causing you the grief. I just took mine off after a couple of years, ended up bending the puller but it came off. And from my experience, the water/hydraulic puller trick doesn't work on these sleds.

J-Roc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tip the sled over, fill the end of the crank with water, impact, then let it freeze outside?

MacheteMike

Reaction score
Just bought the sled , has 2600 miles, probably was never removed before. Have a brand new clutch ready to install. Inspected the old one the day after I bought it to find the moveable completely split! Surprised it didn't fly apart.
I had a good heat gun on it for an hour with full torque on the puller today, checked it again half an hour ago and it still didn't pop.
Hoping i don't have to resort to the 3/4" drive blue point impact (and probably strip the puller).
REALLY hoping it didn't spin on the crank!!!

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have you tried tapping the end of the puller with a hammer??? had a really stubborn one on a older f7 i had to use a snipe on it while i had one guy tapping the puller (dont beat the ch!t out of it) just some decent hits.....

mallard d69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
had to do the same with mine used 2 wrenchs locked together with the puller torqued it as much as i could with my hands (no extra extentions just the 2 wrenches)
one good solid hit on the end of the puller with a 2 pound mini maul and off she poped. like the other guy said don't beat the liven snot out of it or you can do crank damage.

the impact is fine on a regularly removed clutch but when they are stuck on with rust the impact rearly works

Last edited:

cnelson6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tip the sled on its side and lay the penetrating oil to it so it will pool on it and leave it for a day or so and let it go to work . Then throw the puller on it it and give the end a few taps. And I have also never had any luck with the water trick on these sleds. Also loctite makes this stuff called freeze and release and it had always worked well for me.

Top Bottom