Southern Manitoba Mennonites

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My dads family left the Rosenort area for Kola in 1959. My mom is a Plett from Landmark.

I'm also related to Plett's, my second great-grandmother was a Plett.

Geni.com has a fair bit of ancestry on it if you can find the links from your immediate family tree. I have something like 7800 blood relatives listed on there. I even know the name of the ship that my 3rd great-grandfather took to Canada back in 1864. There are also a lot of Mennonite genealogical websites with lots of information. The problem is a lot of the church records regarding my family history were destroyed back in Europe, so tracing back any further than 1800 gets difficult, although I have roughly traced one family line back to the 1600's.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My grandmother was a Plett. And my great grandfather was a Eidse. Had refineries in Texas but he died young and his kids couldn’t be bothered to check it out.

Attachments

• B43298FF-6A0F-44AB-A06C-3C8A06393ACB.jpeg
    B43298FF-6A0F-44AB-A06C-3C8A06393ACB.jpeg
    199.8 KB · Views: 291
  • 489311E8-D128-4B98-8EB4-5E04C5DB2EA3.png
    489311E8-D128-4B98-8EB4-5E04C5DB2EA3.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 301

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hopefully no one married anyones cousin. Lol

My grandparents had just moved into a new brand seniors home in the small Alberta town town where they spent most of their lives. Our family went to the grand opening party and while there, my brother and I were talking with each other about the HOT Candy Striper girl who was helping out. You know...the typical things a 15 year old boy would be saying about a nearby young hottie. Then my mom comes by with the young Candy Striper girl and says "I'd like you to meet your cousin Wendy"...FACK...turns out my Uncle had a daughter that we were never told about...born out of wedlock. We still joke about it to this day.

Name was changed to protect the innocent...LOL

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with my parents(they are in Steinbach). Learning about my ancestors because of a thread on here lol.

I have my family history back to the 1700's from my grandfathers side,.. they were the Toews. It is a rather long 14 page pdf history lesson on Mennonites and how my family came to be. Although,. I am far from practising the tradition and past g.g.g.g. grandfather was removed from the church. Below is a couple exerpts, if you want I can see if I can add as an attachment and upload if you want to read.

In 1873, Cornelius was elected to be one of 12 delegates from the settlements in Russia to go to North
America to assess the relocation possibilities. On May 20, 1873 as he disembarked from the ship "S.S.
Selesia" from Hamburg in New York, Cornelius P. Toews became the first "Toews" of Mennonite extraction
to set foot in North America.

In 1874, Cornelius brought his family along with 64 other families to Manitoba. They arrived at Fort Garry
aboard the paddlewheel "The International" on July 31.
Cornelius settled in Gruenfeld (now called Kleefeld) and acted as Mayor and Fire Chief. He also built the
first windmill in southeastern Manitoba.

On December 16, 1876, a fire destroyed his house and barn and unfortunately all of his books and writings.
He received an insurance payout of $668.33. In 1885 he purchased land and farmed in what is now the Southlands subdivision of Steinbach.

Last edited:

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I have my family history back to the 1700's from my grandfathers side,.. they were the Toews. It is a rather long 14 page pdf history lesson on Mennonites and how my family came to be. Although,. I am far from practising the tradition and past g.g.g.g. grandfather was removed from the church. Below is a couple exerpts, if you want I can see if I can add as an attachment and upload if you want to read.
Pronounced Toes of Taves?

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pronounced Toes of Taves?

After the collapse of the Roman Empire, around 400 A.D., Frisians began to expand and established a Frisian
Empire consisting of the coastal areas from North Belgium to Southern Denmark. They controlled the North
Sea trade routes from Friesland to England, France, Scandinavia and Northwest Russia.

Around 450 A.D. Angles, Saxons, Jutes, and a Frisian faction crossed the North Sea and established the
Anglo-Saxon empire currently known as England. The Frisians colonized the county of Kent in southeast
England.

The Frisian language is most closely related to Old English and like in English, an "s" is used to denote the
possessive case. The Frisian custom when naming a child was that the last name of a Frisian child was the
possessive of the father's first name.

The official Christian version of the origin of the name "Toews" is that it is derived from Mattheus or
Teeuw (Mathew) so essentially denotes the person bearing the name as "Mathew's child." To Christians
this was preferable to what linguistics scholars say which is “Toews” was originally “Teeuws” and is
named for the old pagan Teutonic god “Tiu” (rhymes with “ewe”) who was around long before Christ.
This is the same god that “Tuesday” is named for. Personally I think the naming after “Tiu” is the correct
version as the name predates Christianity.

According to a family history uncle Peter Toews wrote in 1900 the name was originally “Teeuws” and
became "Töws" long after the move to Prussia. Church records show our family as “Tews” right up until
the 1790’s

When the "Toews" first came to Canada and then to the USA, it was still "Töws" (pronounced Tuh-vez
according to Peter’s family history) but most later spelled the name as Toews by the time of the 1891 Canada
census.

Last edited:

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

That's really interesting. There was also a Cornelius Toews (maybe the same one?) that arrived in Quebec City on July 17, 1874 aboard the SS Austrian from Liverpool England, destined for Gruenfeld. Which is the same voyage that my ancestor Heinrich Wohlgemuth came on (it was spelt Wohlemuth in the manifest) and my ancestor was destined for Blumenhof.

I also see I posted earlier that my family arrived in 1864, 1874 is actually the correct date.

Corn Tows [Cornelius Toews][FONT=&quot] [37] labourer; Anna [35] wife; Johann [15] labourer; Corn [Cornelius 12] child; Maria [8] child; Ang [Anna 5] child. [/FONT]Comments:[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Profile/Kleine Gemeinde[FONT=&quot] #43; Gruenfeld/ER.

[/FONT]
http://www.mennonitegenealogy.com/canada/quebec/austrian_40.html
http://www.norwayheritage.com/p_ship.asp?sh=austr

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's really interesting. There was also a Cornelius Toews (maybe the same one?) that arrived in Quebec City on July 17, 1874 aboard the SS Austrian from Liverpool England, destined for Gruenfeld. Which is the same voyage that my ancestor Heinrich Wohlgemuth came on (it was spelt Wohlemuth in the manifest) and my ancestor was destined for Blumenhof.

I also see I posted earlier that my family arrived in 1864, 1874 is actually the correct date.

Corn Tows [Cornelius Toews] [37] labourer; Anna [35] wife; Johann [15] labourer; Corn [Cornelius 12] child; Maria [8] child; Ang [Anna 5] child. Comments:Profile/Kleine Gemeinde #43; Gruenfeld/ER.

http://www.mennonitegenealogy.com/canada/quebec/austrian_40.html
http://www.norwayheritage.com/p_ship.asp?sh=austr

I'm just looking at ship records and found Cornelius Töws 1873 S.S. Silesia arrived New York, the name he came across with until it was changed to Toews. I need a login to see the record,.. will check with my sister.

Top Bottom