I Phone Question

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an old I phone one of my kids bought from a friend of his. Its been inactive for several years. I think its a 5? Not familiar with them, never owned one.
Tossing the idea about making a it an i pod and using it solely for tunes for the bike etc.
I found instructions that say simply say remove the sim card and turn off cell data and you got an i pod touch. Will removing the sim card reset/remove any password/security that it may have?
Any thoughts from you I phone guys?

mathrulz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Removing the SIM card just means the phone won’t connect to the cell network (ie Rogers, Telus, Bell, etc). It can still connect to wifi and everything will function normally. No worries about passwords, security, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

firstdoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We used this for both our boys when they were younger before getting them on cell plans. Get individual apple accounts and they can use iMessage as well. Can remember how we did it though. It was a few years back.
As for using it as just an ipod, it will work well.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you don’t have the passcode to get in lots of those old iPhones it will let you use the camera with it. Then just go in though the camera and change the passcode

vrscr43

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an old I phone one of my kids bought from a friend of his. Its been inactive for several years. I think its a 5? Not familiar with them, never owned one.
Tossing the idea about making a it an i pod and using it solely for tunes for the bike etc.
I found instructions that say simply say remove the sim card and turn off cell data and you got an i pod touch. Will removing the sim card reset/remove any password/security that it may have?
Any thoughts from you I phone guys?
Yes it will work, I used to do the same thing with old I phones from my wife's work.
Then they updated the bike software with Android Auto so I use my current cell phone now.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From what I remember, The old user needs to unhook it from there iCloud account if it was active. Or it won’t let you do a full reset,

It’s been a while but I had issues with an old employees phone after they were released but we didn’t reset the phone first.

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Started playing with it yesterday. Going to get the sim card, the back basically fell apart in my hand after i took the case off.
Oh well, he's got lots of friends with lots of old phones.

Top Bottom