Snow Trail Groomer Pictures

doublek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seeing the groomer on the way out after a long day of riding definitely makes the day just that much better.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
A picture of the Fernie Snowcat at the Wrangler's cabin and a small avi on the way out depicting the horrid conditions of last winter. This was a natural avi and IMO if it had of been set by a sled it would have been much worse.

The Fernie Snowmobile Club uses a BRP180 and grooms from Coal Creek (a new staging area will be set up this year) to the summit, into Morrissey to meet the Cat Skiing trail, and then around to the Wrangler's Cabin close to the pipeline. Since the club start the grooming program (2007), we have groomed weekly and maybe this year it will be twice a week.

I'm not bragging nor do I want to embarass Ministik Man but our used 2001 BRP 180 cost us $37,500 after a year of leasing which came off the intial cost. One really needs to look around and sometimes it is great to have Corporate sponsors who do a lot of riding.

And for all those who are reading this, please respect the groomer and slow down and provide lots of room. Most operators will stop and let you pass when it is safe for both the SnowCat and the sleds. In our deep snow conditions and steep banks, the SnowCat can be in some trouble if it moves over into the unpacked snow off the trail. So please be patient.....

Attachments

• FSA SnowCat.jpg
    FSA SnowCat.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 145
  • Avalanche1i.jpg
    Avalanche1i.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 137

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
On Thursday (last) we went up Koko Claims over to the Bull River on our registered trail and did a little safety work and widening of some of the tighter corners. The blade and packer bar are 14'-6" wide and when the packer bar is down we are around 25' long. Just a little marginal getting around some of the trees without wrecking equipment.

The groomer operators' even work when there is no snow!! For those who are going to ask, there was no snow even at 6800'; nil, nattah, not even a skiff:beer:

Attachments

• Last Creek 1i.jpg
    Last Creek 1i.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 136
  • Last Creek 2i.jpg
    Last Creek 2i.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 135
  • Last Creek 3i.jpg
    Last Creek 3i.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 131
  • Last Creeki.jpg
    Last Creeki.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 138

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On Thursday (last) we went up Koko Claims over to the Bull River on our registered trail and did a little safety work and widening of some of the tighter corners. The blade and packer bar are 14'-6" wide and when the packer bar is down we are around 25' long. Just a little marginal getting around some of the trees without wrecking equipment.

The groomer operators' even work when there is no snow!! For those who are going to ask, there was no snow even at 6800'; nil, nattah, not even a skiff:beer:

As Trail Chairman for the Bonnyville Snowdusters I know all about doing trail work in the Summer.

Time for this old timer to step down and let some of the younger members step up to the plate.

Thanks for the great post.

brew_doo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The work never seems to stop for the clubs - trail work, cabin maintenance/upgrades, fund raising, etc... It's great to get out in the bush with good friends and get some work done. Busy season ahead - can't wait.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
....Time for this old timer to step down and let some of the younger members step up to the plate.

and then what will you doo with your time?? If we step down it appears to me that the younger members seldom step up. Let them step up first and then train then in our old fashioned ways, before you step down....in otherwords take one of those up and coming youngsters and put him under your wing for a year or two. Probably take at least 2 years to teach the youngster all your tricks...:friends:

brew_doo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and then what will you doo with your time?? If we step down it appears to me that the younger members seldom step up. Let them step up first and then train then in our old fashioned ways, before you step down....in otherwords take one of those up and coming youngsters and put him under your wing for a year or two. Probably take at least 2 years to teach the youngster all your tricks...:friends:

Seems to be getting harder to get the youngsters interested in volunteering. They seem to want more out of things than just a little satisfaction and the good feeling of making things better for other sledders. :twocents:

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the work never stops. summer or winter always something to be done. Small club like ours it is hard to get help, most have a job and families. Now with more reg's to deal with it seems that there is 10-15 hours a week just to keep up or ahead of the reg's.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seems to be getting harder to get the youngsters interested in volunteering. They seem to want more out of things than just a little satisfaction and the good feeling of making things better for other sledders. :twocents:

Too true, how many guys under thirty, thirty five do you see at meetings or at work bees?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Spur gear replacement on the ol' Pisten Bulley....Buy those trail passes guys and gals as this part is over $2500 and that is 2 we have replaced in the last 3 years. Not to mention the other maintenance and repairs necessary to keep this ol' girl running.

Attachments

• Groomer8i.jpg
    Groomer8i.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 128
  • Groomer9i.jpg
    Groomer9i.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 136

amunro

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Well I am sure looking forward to this year, and by using your numbers Mitch Im a young guy. LOL

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Too true, how many guys under thirty, thirty five do you see at meetings or at work bees?

Tri-Counties Trail Maintenance Crew is 35 names on a list but only a couple are under 30-35 most of use are 45 + to 70.

But we make it more of a slow day out than a bust your ass sweaty work day.

Our list has grown from 4 to 35 in 6 years for that reason

Everyone is working hard at work --- who wants to bust your ass on the weekend...:)

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm 25 and am at all the meetings and at probably 85% of the workbees
Tyler, how many others of your age do you see there? We had our first meeting of the year last wednesday, big turnout, about 30 guys and gals. Besides a couple of kids there with their dads there was I think one guy under thirty there.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Tyler, how many others of your age do you see there? We had our first meeting of the year last wednesday, big turnout, about 30 guys and gals. Besides a couple of kids there with their dads there was I think one guy under thirty there.

Unfortunately unless as you said brought by parents.... NONE which is really sad... I love the social aspect of being in the club, and whats a few hours of my time put into helping the sport I love be better and still be here for my kids when & if they come....

Back on topic.... found this trail groomer in the sears catalog

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Well into the season and I thought it was time to bring this back. -26C last night, clear, crisp and a great night for grooming. This is at the top of the Coal Summitt, SE of Fernie, BC

It is nice to beable to come back, along the nice flat frozen first past....first tracks in the morning, sweet! The last picture is placing poles/stakes so that the high side of the road is marked for those nasty blows. The low side drops off quite a few hundred feet, to what I don't know yet and I don't care to find out.....

Attachments

• Groomer13i.jpg
    Groomer13i.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 135
  • Groomer14i.jpg
    Groomer14i.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 137
  • Groomer11.jpg
    Groomer11.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 136
Top Bottom