Sneaky move Letbridge AC Dealer

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's their typical excuse, but it's just a copout. I work in a 24 hour 7 days a week operation, 3 days on 3 days off. My days off are always changing. All it takes is a little creative scheduling to keep a business open 6 days a week, or even 7 if they wanted to. In fact some of my best riding happens on my days off during the week when so called "normal" people are at work.

very true, all that would be needed would be a floater as they call it, work the parts counter, or help out in the shop. don't think many dealers have mechanics working on saturday anyway. so really only need a parts accessory person for a few days. sales people may be different, but a owner could step in as needed like the larger dealers.

to stock parts will cost money, but the high breakable and big wear items should be available for the more popular vehicles they sell, not to have an A arm for a mountain sled is downright stupid.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
very true, all that would be needed would be a floater as they call it, work the parts counter, or help out in the shop. don't think many dealers have mechanics working on saturday anyway. so really only need a parts accessory person for a few days. sales people may be different, but a owner could step in as needed like the larger dealers.

to stock parts will cost money, but the high breakable and big wear items should be available for the more popular vehicles they sell, not to have an A arm for a mountain sled is downright stupid.
We always tried stocking parts a person would need to get back up and running asap. Suspension, engine, clutch and drivetrain. If a peep is mad cause you have to order in a decal for them then they need to go away and harass another dealer IMO.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We always tried stocking parts a person would need to get back up and running asap. Suspension, engine, clutch and drivetrain. If a peep is mad cause you have to order in a decal for them then they need to go away and harass another dealer IMO.

Agree completely.

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
Just to shed a little light on the taxes and duty issue and not to inflame the situation on parts pricing in Canada. If we start with all things being equal from a US manufacturer meaning a Canadian and US dealer start out with the same pricing out the door from the manufacturer. The US dealer will have cheaper shipping to his door than the Canadian because once you ship across that international boundary the shipping costs go up tremendously. That's the problem with shipping in Canada large land mass with comparatively little population base. Just with shipping our costs go up. We use our US shipping address because shipping within the US mainland is so cheap. However, it still costs us to receive there and the cost of the trip down. Also, every time we enter the US for commercial purposes we are charged a $10.75 entry fee.

Once we get to the border we are charged a flat 5% GST on all of our goods which everybody is, that's the taxes no one can get around that on a commercial shipment.

However, here is where it gets a little tricky, the duty. If you are dealing in goods that are manufactured in the US or Mexico you are golden NO DUTY because it falls under NAFTA. You still need to know your customs codes though for your goods. Meaning each and every good must be itemized and coded unless you can fit it under one code which I try to do but some invoices must be broken down to multiple codes. For example a goggle order would have multiple codes because the goggles are one code, the spare lenses another, if I order quick straps another etc etc.

If your goods are not manufactured in the US or Mexico this is where the duty comes in. Canada Customs has a list of countries that fall under what they call "Most favored nations"(MFN). Each MFN has a different duty amount assigned to it, you have to go through the book or if you are using their computers it will assign a duty amount to the total of your order. The duty amount can range from 5% to upwards of 13% is the most I have seen on my orders. If your country of origin is not a MFN I would image the duty is higher. I have never not dealt with a MFN.

Duty can also play a role in the type of goods you are bring back, remember the customs codes? Some goods have duty assigned to them not only from their country of origin but also with their customs codes. This is where you really have to know your customs codes because you don't want to be paying any more extra duty than you have to.

Some people say to hell with all this and don't do this themselves like we do. They hire a broker to do all this which adds to the cost of doing business in Canada.

The exchange rate you pay at the border on your goods is based on the day your order was shipped according to your invoices not on the day you arrive at the border which can work both for and against you.

None of this includes the banking fees you pay on your credit card for international exchanges or fees your bank charges for writing cheques to US companies and we haven't even touched on exchange rates yet.

So even if Canadian dealers pay the same out the door from a US manufacturer just to get it across the border and into our doors costs us a lot more when you consider all the hoops we have to jump through to get it here.

Jan

Last edited:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

Agree completely.

X2^^^^^^^^^ and this is what makes successful dealers, IMHO

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree
you don't need to have everything, and for every sled ever made, plugs oil, front end parts, sliders, carbides etc. high wear and maintenance items for the most popular machines a guy sells. To not have parts for new and a couple yr old mtn sleds is asking for customers to go elsewhere. To pull parts off crate sleds is going above n beyond the call of duty. Definitely gets bonus points. Sets a dealer a notch above alright. But i never ask or expect it. But to have to order a spark plug is beyond me.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just to shed a little light...................So even if Canadian dealers pay the same out the door from a US manufacturer just to get it across the border and into our doors costs us a lot more when you consider all the hoops we have to jump through to get it here.

Jan

Soooooooooo........why can you buy BRP products cheaper in the USA than Canada? Don't expect you to answer it Jan, you're not a BRP dealer. Just something that's never made sense to me. :confused:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree
you don't need to have everything, and for every sled ever made, plugs oil, front end parts, sliders, carbides etc. high wear and maintenance items for the most popular machines a guy sells. To not have parts for new and a couple yr old mtn sleds is asking for customers to go elsewhere. To pull parts off crate sleds is going above n beyond the call of duty. Definitely gets bonus points. Sets a dealer a notch above alright. But i never ask or expect it. But to have to order a spark plug is beyond me.
Dealers need to be smart to. You can go broke stocking all the different sliders for all the models they have. Just stock the longest set for each slider profile and cut them down if need be. Saves lots of room for more inventory.Stock pistons instead of rings. 90% of the time you need the piston anyways. Pull the rings off if the customer just needs them and can be re ordered and put back on the new piston.

Last edited:

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
Soooooooooo........why can you buy BRP products cheaper in the USA than Canada? Don't expect you to answer it Jan, you're not a BRP dealer. Just something that's never made sense to me. :confused:

See that's something I have never understood either. Unless they are outsourcing some of their manufacturing to the US? I don't know?

Jan

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dealers need to be smart to. You can go broke stocking all the different sliders for all the models they have. Just stock the longest set for each slider profile and cut them down if need be. Saves lots of room for more inventory.Stock pistons instead of rings. 90% of the time you need the piston anyways. Pull the rings off if the customer just needs them and can be re ordered and put back on the new piston.

I suspect you were one of the GOOD dealers. :beer:

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wish I can directly add my corporation taxes on to something I sell. Taxes are a cost of doing business and one way or another someone pays for it.

sorry, taxes are an add on, after the price set by manufacturer, can't help if you pay bc ectra taxes.

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wish I can directly add my corporation taxes on to something I sell. Taxes are a cost of doing business and one way or another someone pays for it.
As you said, taxes are one of the costs associated with being in business. Ultimately the consumers pay all the businesses expenses or else said business isn't going to be around long.

Turts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Question. Is there a Canadian importer at Cat that the Canadian dealers have to buy from?
Harley has the Deeley crooks that charge an extra percentage of everything that comes into Canada. That makes up for the majority of the price differential in Canada.

Turts, typing on Tapatalk

CatAttack900

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just to shed a little light on the taxes and duty issue and not to inflame the situation on parts pricing in Canada. If we start with all things being equal from a US manufacturer meaning a Canadian and US dealer start out with the same pricing out the door from the manufacturer. The US dealer will have cheaper shipping to his door than the Canadian because once you ship across that international boundary the shipping costs go up tremendously. That's the problem with shipping in Canada large land mass with comparatively little population base. Just with shipping our costs go up. We use our US shipping address because shipping within the US mainland is so cheap. However, it still costs us to receive there and the cost of the trip down. Also, every time we enter the US for commercial purposes we are charged a $10.75 entry fee.

Once we get to the border we are charged a flat 5% GST on all of our goods which everybody is, that's the taxes no one can get around that on a commercial shipment.

However, here is where it gets a little tricky, the duty. If you are dealing in goods that are manufactured in the US or Mexico you are golden NO DUTY because it falls under NAFTA. You still need to know your customs codes though for your goods. Meaning each and every good must be itemized and coded unless you can fit it under one code which I try to do but some invoices must be broken down to multiple codes. For example a goggle order would have multiple codes because the goggles are one code, the spare lenses another, if I order quick straps another etc etc.

If your goods are not manufactured in the US or Mexico this is where the duty comes in. Canada Customs has a list of countries that fall under what they call "Most favored nations"(MFN). Each MFN has a different duty amount assigned to it, you have to go through the book or if you are using their computers it will assign a duty amount to the total of your order. The duty amount can range from 5% to upwards of 13% is the most I have seen on my orders. If your country of origin is not a MFN I would image the duty is higher. I have never not dealt with a MFN.

Duty can also play a role in the type of goods you are bring back, remember the customs codes? Some goods have duty assigned to them not only from their country of origin but also with their customs codes. This is where you really have to know your customs codes because you don't want to be paying any more extra duty than you have to.

Some people say to hell with all this and don't do this themselves like we do. They hire a broker to do all this which adds to the cost of doing business in Canada.

The exchange rate you pay at the border on your goods is based on the day your order was shipped according to your invoices not on the day you arrive at the border which can work both for and against you.

None of this includes the banking fees you pay on your credit card for international exchanges or fees your bank charges for writing cheques to US companies and we haven't even touched on exchange rates yet.

So even if Canadian dealers pay the same out the door from a US manufacturer just to get it across the border and into our doors costs us a lot more when you consider all the hoops we have to jump through to get it here.

Jan

So this is exactly why i will continue to buy my sledding stuff from the states, because I can get it cheaper down there. End of Story.

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com

Attachments

• fireman.png
    fireman.png
    94.3 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Top Bottom